SVS vs Sunfire (?)

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2005
    Size isn't important to me, the Sunfire puts out plenty of pure, powerfull bass and doesn't need a huge amount of space to do it's job. Why would anyone want to put a huge sub in their room when there's no need for it. The arguement goes both ways.

And just to clarify, WAF is not a factor in my home when it comes to any A/V equipment. Deb's 2 channel rig isn't a wimpy BOSE system....SDA's and Tubes.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Out of curiosity, just what tubes do you have pushing those SDA's?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2005
    You know I really get sick and tired of hearing that the only reason a person buys something that others don't agree with is because of their wife. The way I see it is that those of you who need the biggest objects are just trying to compensate for other short comings!!! :rolleyes: By the way this is Debbie not Frank.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    Oh geez!!

If anyone has a huge theater room meant just for home theater, NOt a living room.. why would it matter what size the sub was? Is it a fashion statement or a damm home theater? Rule of thumb, huge box small amp.... small box huge amp, small boxes only have so much room for air/pressure.. It's simple physics (sp) not a personal thing.. Large boxes make alot of bass and effortless.. with small boxes the woofer works harder, you need eq's and you get distortion at some point well before a large boxed sub woofer setup..

IMO sunfire and rel are a rich mans sub, more for status and looks.. :D SVS, Hsu and the like are budget minded bang for buck subs that kick competitors ****'s and then they feel inadequite (sp) LOL because they paid triple for the same or lesser a product
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2005
    Absolutely no offense intended to Frank or Debbie. Your HT setup is top notch and anyone that supports a dedicated HT, and a tweaked Jeep is alright by me.

My wife, Donita, actually chose our last 2 homes simply because they had room for my HT/Music needs. Her only comments are about sloppy cabling (my laziness) and the huge amount of original boxes I keep. She loves the 10 cubic foot couch sub with the dual 12 inch subs within. Its her favorite seat to watch movies.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2005
    Audiobliss,
    KT88 tubes.

Dennis,
    The Jeep is hers too.
  • Pinktulip7
    Pinktulip7 Posts: 249
    edited September 2005
    Check it out dude................................. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/1041.html
    TV :>Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    RECEIVER :> HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
    FRONT :> L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
    AMP :1> PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
    AMP :2> EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
    CENTER :> POLK LSiM 706c 250 W
    SURROUND SIDE :> POLK RTi A3 150 W
    SURROUND REAR :>POLK FXI A6 150 W
    DVD PLAYER(HD) :>TOSHIBA HD X-A2
    DVD PLAYER(BLU-RAY) :>Panasonic DMP-UB900
    POWER CONDITIONER :> PANAMAX M5400-EX
    SUBWOOFER :A> SVS SB16-Ultra 1500 W Front
    SUBWOOFER :B> SVS SB16-Ultra 1500 W Rear
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Frank Z wrote:
    Audiobliss,
    KT88 tubes.

Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance here, but isn't that a type of tube (like 12ax7 or whatever)? I actually meant what kind of tube equipment pushing your SDAs. I.E. what specific piece of gear.
    Frank Z wrote:
    The Jeep is hers too.

:eek: WHAT?!

That reminds me, I need to start a thread about my Jeep so I can ask you a few questions I have...I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2005
    Antique Sound Labs AQ-1002DT Tube Amp, Dared SL-2000A Tube Preamp, Sony DVP-C660 CD/DVD 5 disc changer, and a Sansui AM/FM Tuner.

And of course her daily driver...my weekend toy!! :D
    drfnso.jpg
    Audiobliss,
    Feel free to send me a PM with any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
  • jolax73
    jolax73 Posts: 225
    edited August 2009
    I have no interest in hearing small, cube size subwoofers. Therefore I don't listen to them...

Everyone I have heard over the past years from Velodyne, REL, Definitve Tech have all had one thing in common - NOISE, ALOT of noise... with no force. They just pressurized the air, but never the room. They couldnt move things, just hurt your ears. Never really paid them much mind at all.

The Velodyne DD18 is by far the best cube subwoofer I have heard. The DD10... or w/e I didn't much care for, it definetely had alot of volume to it.

But Sunfire is very unimpressive, they operate off a small enclosure with a HUGE amp because its so ineffecient, then you top that off with the fact it has no servo in the design. Which means distortion, alot of it - it takes a large amp AND a large enclosure to do the lower frequencies and they only have one part of the equation... the distortion at lower frequencies would be through the roof on them things.

Thats one thing about SVS, they use large amps, large enclosures and have a very flat and clean response.

I have not heard many good things about Sunfire, everyone I talk to just says what I hear with every other small, cube subwoofer.

While I understand the purpose of small cube subs, if you can go big - GO BIG.

How is SVS sub compares to Epic sub? Which one is a better buy? I have a polk member said that the Epic Sentinel has the best bang for the buck but not sure if sound quality wise is better than the SVS. Please advice.
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2009
    jolax73 wrote: »
    How is SVS sub compares to Epic sub? Which one is a better buy? I have a polk member said that the Epic Sentinel has the best bang for the buck but not sure if sound quality wise is better than the SVS. Please advice.
    jolax, rather than tack on to a 4 yr old thread, you should probably start another. There a few Epik owners here and more SVS owners, but you're not going to get definitive answers.

I've owned SVS products and they are stellar. I've heard the Epik Phoenix. It's a great sub, but, IMO, it's not an Ultra killer. The Sentinel has a similar frequency response to the PB12NSD and I'd guess due to it's smaller box/larger amp, it will have similar output. Chad claims it compares more closely to the PB12 Plus...I'm not sure about that, but I could be mistaken. Pricewise, the Sentinel falls between the NSD and Plus, so let's assume that it's a step above the NSD, but not quite a Plus. It comes down to this. Both companies make great subs. Pick one that fits your room size and budget. You won't be unhappy.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Just wait till you're 30 and look back 15 years. :eek:

I though I had the world by the balls at every milestone in my life too. Later I realized I was just there keeping the sack clean. :D

@VR3 Are you 30 yet? ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    What an odd thread to read... lol!

Oddly enough, my thoughts are fairly consistent with 16 year old me. No replacement for displacement baby. And @Dennis Gardner was right, Infinite baffle is where its at!!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    VR3 wrote: »
    What an odd thread to read... lol!

Just doing some Sunfire research.

• rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    svs all the way!!!!!! Had top sunfire and now got a svs sb16 ultra sub. no comparison!!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    svs all the way!!!!!! Had top sunfire and now got a svs sb16 ultra sub. no comparison!!

For movies, maybe. Music is another story, and for music a servo sub is a necessity, IMO. Once you’ve heard a good servo sub from Rythmic, Velodyne (DD series), or something similar, there is no going back. The accuracy provided by the servo feedback system takes accurate bass to an entirely new level.

There is also the issue of speaker level inputs, which allow the voicing of your amplifier to be carried through to your sub. Most (if not all?) svs subs omit speaker level inputs.

As always, listen and see what sounds best to you....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Daddy, I think you would be surprised what the SVS ultras can do. I sure was. Specifically for music.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    that's what i use mine for music. Its the sealed one, ported for movies.
  • Nightfall
    rebelsoul wrote: »

Apples to oranges. Sunfire subs go with small enclosures and do the best they can within those constraints. SVS Ultra take up 1/8 of your room.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Its true - they are beasts

Rebel, I use my SB16 for movies also and it SLAMS!
    Nothing Like @VR3 's IB setup, but great for my needs..
  • VR3
    That svs does a very good job blending with the elac
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • daddyjt
    Look, I know I’m treading on sacred ground with SVS. I’m not taking ANYTHING away from the brand - they build a solid sub, no question.

My point is that for music, SVS is like a NASCAR cup car - lots of power, lots of bang for the buck, and REALLY good at what they do. On the other hand, a good servo sub is like an F1 car - not as big, not as loud, but turns on a dime and is exceeding precise through the curves. I have a pair of Velodyne DD18 subs. Would a pair of flagship SVS put me to shame in HT? Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. For music, it wouldn’t even be close - the speed and accuracy of the servo almost makes the comparison unfair.

What you really should be asking, is why doesn’t SVS offer a servo sub...? :smiley:
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    In with REL for the win...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Servo smervo, no sub in 2 channel for the win
  • daddyjt
    Just make sure you never listen to a 2ch system with correctly integrated subs - that way you’ll never know what you’re missing :wink:

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• VR3
    My reasoning has actually little to do with bass, I'll listen to speakers that naturally roll off at 50hz, I feel a properly designed speaker should be designed to present music in its own way with or without a sub

A purist thought process none the less
  • nooshinjohn
    VR3 wrote: »
    Servo smervo, no sub in 2 channel for the win

Obi-Wan once thought as you do...

If used CORRECTLY, a sub can add things to two channel that you need to hear to believe. You would not even know my REL was turned on, unless I told you it was or I turned it off.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    I hear ya, my Utopias in room dig to about 25hz, not missing to much 😊
  • nooshinjohn
    And below 25hz... you miss A LOT. B)o:)

• VR3
    I hear ya, different strokes, all that