Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    Livin' life bro'! No worries. 😁

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,026
    yv516uzsu4bt.png
    Stolen from X
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,590
    Saw this yesterday parked in front of the local garage in our wee village.

53728213776_61c5ef3c89_b.jpg

53727301792_d7a8744d33_b.jpg

It was running, too. Not very smoothly :# -- but it was running.
    I did have the presence of mind to ask the fellow in the driver's seat if he was OK with my taking a few photos (which he was). He was warming it up for his wife -- it car's "her rig", said he. B)

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,627
    Horrible little cars. Always thought so.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    What were those cars like compared to others in their time? Were they faster than other stuff, or any particular handling characteristics that made them desirable? The MGs I came across never seemed to be running properly and were awkward getting in and out of. The midget version, whatever it's real name is, had an incredibly tight engine compartment. Looked difficult to work on.

Are they just one of those quirky vehicles that are enjoyed for their eccentricities?
    I disabled signatures.
  • OleBoot
    The MGB was the first MG "sports car" that wasn't a sports car and was put together from the BMC parts bin. The MGA was the last MG that was a real MG even though it too contained some BMC parts. The MGB was neither fast nor handled very well. Compared to contemporary sports cars (Lotus, TVR, Austin Healey and even Triumph) it was a clunker.
  • mhardy6647
    Fairly inexpensive (in the US), though, so always popular.
    They looked the part of the classic British sports car. Well, until they got the compliant big rubber bumper(s).
    og4ip49ryqg4.jpg
    There's one of these (ca. 1974 or 75) for sale, in BRG, not two miles from the spot where I photographed that BGT (FWIW). B)

• mhardy6647
    oh, they did this, too, to comply with the "5 mph bumper" laws, too, apparently. :#
    h0qha14mcrxe.jpg
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,414
    All above is true.....but they (when right) they were fun to drive! And cheep.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    All above is true.....but they (when right) they were fun to PUSH ! And cheep.

Fixed.😇🤣🤣🤣

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Those little cars were fun to prank your neighbors with. 6 of us kids pushed one around back of the neighbors house and picked it up and put it on his deck. He was TORKED to say the least.
    Mind you decks of that era 1978-80 were mostly not much more than a foot off the ground and had no fancy railings or bench seats.

I also know from experience that if you rev up a Austin Healey and dump the clutch you will snap the rear axle. Yea that was not a fun fix! Especially with the owner standing over me barking his PO'd ness in my ears, man those had tiny axles 😁😁
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    The MGB can be highly modified. Dropping a V8 in turns it into a rocketship.
    tbexhfa2mmfr.jpg
    228omecywt20.jpg
    yxa2pdamseb2.jpg
    bjln1s8xzine.jpeg
    nq50cr9nekz7.jpeg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OleBoot
    edited May 18
    There were factory 6 cylinder (MGC) and V8 (MGB GT V8) versions. The MGC had a really heavy engine and the car just basically followed the engine around, often bearing no relation to where the wheels were pointed. The V8 used a Rover (ex Buick) aluminum engine that was in fact lighter than the 4 banger. It wasn't a bad car (apart from all the normal British Leyland faults like bits falling off) but the motor produced vey little power for a V8. As for modded MGBs, anything goes of course like all cars.
  • mhardy6647
    Knew a kid in high school (Royce Hoffmeister) who had a Ford Cortina with a Ford V8 (289 or 302 -- memory's hazy at this point) shoehorned in it. The car was terrifying.
  • msg
    edited May 18
    OleBoot wrote: »
    There were factory 6 cylinder (MGC) and V8 (MGB GT V8) versions. The MGC had a really heavy engine and the car just basically followed the engine around, often bearing no relation to where the wheels were pointed. The V8 used a Rover (ex Buick) aluminum engine that was in fact lighter than the 4 banger. It wasn't a bad car (apart from all the normal British Leyland faults like bits falling off) but the motor produced vey little power for a V8. As for modded MGBs, anything goes of course like all cars.
    Informative, and funny as well.

I can appreciate some mods and restoration/maintenance work keeping an older vehicle on the road. Sometimes it's not even about doing this with something worthy of mass appeal, but just in keeping up something meaningful to the owner.

This is why I was wondering if there's anything special about these cars to the people who own(ed) them. To me, the drivers are some combination of particular features that are unique, the driving experiences they offer, or just plain nostalgia, and the memories and feelings old vehicles can evoke. It's these things that, for me, build appreciation for the brand in these vehicles' respective eras of design and use.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited May 18
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Knew a kid in high school (Royce Hoffmeister) who had a Ford Cortina with a Ford V8 (289 or 302 -- memory's hazy at this point) shoehorned in it. The car was terrifying.
    I hope it was one of those situations where it had drum brakes all the way around, as well?
    I disabled signatures.
  • OleBoot
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

There was a guy called Jeff Uren who produced the Cortina Savage with an Essex Ford V6 for the Mk II. These were fully sorted and really good an desirable cars. The king of the hill was a Cortina Savage based on a Cortina 1600E. The 1600E in standard Ford form had a Cortina GT engine with the Lotus Cortina suspension and a luxury interior with leather and wood dashboard. It was well sought after in standard form, but the 1600E Savage with the V6 was Ford Cortina Nirvana.

Cortina 1600E interior:

abmbo6bz31ph.png

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    4qfcuw622djq.jpeg
    jmu9luv4athi.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited May 19
    Love a nice Packard. Saw a '53 Carribean on the freeway today. The picture looks like a '28/'30 Runabout.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    Excellent estimate! 1929 Packard Model 640 Custom Eight Roadster.

Not sure if this link will work, but sold for $176,000 with buyer’s fees.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1119961/1929-packard-model-640-custom-eight-roadster/?aa_id=591309-0
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM