Coffee

Options

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,941
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I really like Folgers French Roast blend.

I hope that this is sarcasm… 😱
    Alea jacta est!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    Options
    we frequent Asian grocery stores. They sell a pre mix coffee by the brand g7. Comes out to about 20 cent a cup, taste good and has a light kick and low sugar.

I dig it. Very similar to this TNI King Coffee 3 in 1 Instant Vietnamese Coffee, 100 Single Serve Packets - Individual Pocket Size Sachet Sticks - Blended with Coffee, Cream Powder and Sugar - Bulk Size Pack https://a.co/d/0eLJfqF but that is a little more expensive.

😅
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Costco's Kirkland French Roast, their Columbian Roast, and they carry the Ruta Maya - $45 for 2.2 lbs.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Folgers is whatever they swept off the production floor bi-weekly.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I must be a caveman compared to all y'all.

I ditched all the electric coffee maker stuff years ago now. Got tired of the maintenance, the cleaning and then the breaking and needing replacement.

So I fell back on my trust, stainless steel, camping coffee pot. 9 cup stove top percolator. The thing is probably 20 years old at this point and all I have to do it replace the stupid glass bulb that breaks every so often. I descale it with some Bon Ami and a scrubby sponge then wash it out with dish soap. Good as new!

I had an electric blade grinder that was noisy as hell but easy to use. Hard to get a good grind for what you were making so I went to a Cuisinart deal that was only slightly less noisy but about as consistent as it gets. Daily use, though, it gave up the ghost after about 14 years. Now I have a hand crank deal from Germany.

The percolator works fine for me, makes a strong cup of coffee and upsets every coffee nerd out there.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    I've got a couple of antique coffee grinders that were my fathers, they are probably 80-100 yrs old. They are to my eyes still in very good shape for their age.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,378
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I ditched all the electric coffee maker stuff years ago now. Got tired of the maintenance, the cleaning and then the breaking and needing replacement.

I hear ya'.

That's how I ended up buying the Moccamaster. I would go through a coffee maker about once every 8 months. They always failed when I was cleaning the machine. Turned out, they were never designed for constant coffee brews.

Long story short, I went to Cook's Illustrated and looked at their recommendation. I think it was a Braun or something like that. I read every review I could find and it seemed like they would break down often too. That and their coffee makers were (at the time) $150.00. $150.00!!!

I literally yelled at the computer when I saw the price, complaining to my wife that I would NEVER pay $150.00 for a damned coffee maker. That was just over the top to me for something that (in my experience) never lasted long. Anyhoo, getting back to the short story. As I was reading the review, I kept reading about people mentioning this "Moccamaster" thing. The one thing they all stated was that it was the best cup o'Joe they had ever had......AND that they have replacement parts......that this was not a "throw away" coffee maker. Hmmm....

So, I researched everything about them. Read every review I could find. The empirical evidence was overwhelming. This coffeemaker was the ticket to low maintenance, replacement parts and a great cup o'Joe. The price, even double the $150 cost didn't seem to phase me at the time because I figured that I went through a $70-90 coffee maker every 8 months, this thing would eventually pay for itself.

It has. I purchased it back in 2020, so it's 4 years old now. Zero dollars spent so far on replacement parts and she still brews like the first day I got her. The cost was around $320 shipped back then, which I thought was high but was justified because I could replace the parts (if needed) and keep using the same machine for decades. PLUS, this was built to handle constant brewing, so it wouldn't break when I went to clean it (which ALWAYS happened to me in the past)

Since I bought this Moccamaster? I have purchased 3 cups of coffee from a store and with all 3 cups? I took a sip or two and threw them out. Nasty! I couldn't believe how much this brewer has spoiled me with a great cup o'Joe. The amount of money I have saved (even buying what used to be 99 cent coffees) easily makes up for buying the coffee and the little bit of effort it takes for maintenance.

Once a month or two (or whenever I start detecting off flavors), I will spend about a hour maintaining the machine. 30 minutes and a brew for the Dezcal, then the cleaner and two rinse cycles.

AFAIK, it is one of maybe two or three coffee makers that is endorsed by not only the American coffee nerd club, but also the European coffee nerd club. They have not changed the design in.....well, I don't know if they have ever changed the initial design on HOW it makes coffee. The science behind almost every aspect of this thing really intrigued me, as I was researching about it. It kind of reminded me of us and our never ending quest for audio nirvana. They literally thought of every aspect of making a great cup of coffee. Some of it made for very interesting reading as well, from a highly technical point of view.

I'm not saying that it is the best out there. I haven't tried French Press, I haven't had a pour over and I haven't had a percolated coffee in probably 35 years. What I am saying is that with the amount of coffee I go through, it is a fine solution that checks all of the boxes for me. Paired with a dedicated SS milk frother carafe for filling the water supply and a Baratza Sette 270 grinder? To me, they are a match made in heaven. In fact, it's a little slice of heaven here on Earth, if you ask me.

It has spoiled me so much, that I take the entire coffee kit on vacation with me (unless we are flying). I love it so much that I even have dedicated bags with enough room and protection for everything.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    pk2ora7vu5g3.png
    awae07ozsqfz.png

Always ground very fine, will get the Kirkland/Starbucks espresso whole bean bags when in stock.

Just a puddle of honey in the carafe, once the coffee brews, a few brisk swishes and it's good to go.

I've been known to put a dash of cayenne pepper into the grounds before brewing.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Kex
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I must be a caveman compared to all y'all…

Certainly not!

I’ve gone through periods where I loved to use a basic Italian stove top coffee pot from Bialetti. The ones that screw off in two pieces. The water starts in the bottom and gets forced through the coffee into the top as it heats up.

However, I find that nothing extracts flavor from coffee like a basic espresso machine, such as those from Gaggia. The basic models (that were sold at Costco previously) are built like tanks and last for decades. I have a couple that are 30 years old in the garage that I bought used and they still work. Parts are available if necessary (unlike some of the newer stuff). Most espresso machines die from lack of descaling, not from mechanical failure.

Nothing beats the convenience and ease of use of single serve espresso pods. The Nespresso machines seem very reliable. I’ve come across some quite old ones still in use in European rental accommodations. Too early for me to judge my Illy for reliability.
    Alea jacta est!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,207
    edited April 9
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

I hear ya'.

That's how I ended up buying the Moccamaster. I would go through a coffee maker about once every 8 months. They always failed when I was cleaning the machine. Turned out, they were never designed for constant coffee brews.

Long story short, I went to Cook's Illustrated and looked at their recommendation. I think it was a Braun or something like that. I read every review I could find and it seemed like they would break down often too. That and their coffee makers were (at the time) $150.00. $150.00!!!

I literally yelled at the computer when I saw the price, complaining to my wife that I would NEVER pay $150.00 for a damned coffee maker. That was just over the top to me for something that (in my experience) never lasted long.....
    Tom

Way back in 2005, I went through a similar experience...
    I wanted a coffee maker that could brew at 195F and had a stainless steel boiler and a thermal carafe...
    Back then, there weren't many options.
    There was a Capresso that was still made in Europe (Portugal) at the time. Amazon had it for something like $190. I watched it for a long time and it went on sale for $169, plus a $17 coupon or something. That was all it took for me to bite. I still have it today, but I keep it in the basement and only bring it to the kitchen when I have a lot of coffee drinking guests staying with me. I use the carafe for my pour-over though.
    19 years of use, and it still works great for the most part, although, it has never really tasted right if you tried to brew a small batch. It was always best as a full pot brewer. I've only run de-scaler through it a few times. The stainless boiler really does reduce the amount of buildup compared to the cheaper aluminum ones.
    8p9u9gmgkzoa.jpg
    k65nq5xo9c8o.jpg

So back in the days when I was rushed to get out the door every morning, I brewed a full pot every other day and drank microwaved coffee on the non-brew days. Gross! My ex never drank coffee, so it was just for me. I upgraded from a crappy blade grinder to a Baratza encore about 10 years ago and that made a huge improvement in the consistency of the grind.
    Since I no longer rush out the door every morning, I decided about 2 years ago to move to pour-over. For years, that is how I did coffee when camping, so why not at home too?
    Overall, for brewing 2ish mugs on a daily basis, the pour over method is far superior for my needs. It's inexpensive. The V60 was under $20 for the plastic one (preferred by most baristas) and 300 filters run about $15. I also grabbed a stainless pour over kettle that has a built in thermometer and a small spout. I can control the exact temperature. It is a bit slower, but I can make my 25-30oz of brewed coffee in less than 10 minutes. Water comes from my filtered refrigerator supply. Nothing other than a splash of half-n-half goes into my finished coffee.

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    edited April 9
    Options
    m2wb5bt7bfee.jpg
    I've been using this recently, good value. I'm happy with it. I like Kona too, when I find a special on it.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • aprazer402
    Options
    1fh6kbspgmdl.jpg

@mhardy6647 Doc is more of a tea drinker, I think.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    fxkvw0o1dvf4.jpg

Sometimes

873emndbxaq2.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,193
    Options
    I am a bit of a coffee nerd. I bought from local roasters for a long time but have been using Trade subscription service for a few months and have really liked the variety. I generally do Espresso/Lattes but do. Sport over from time to time.

This is my little coffee bar

5j1xy1w9y4ml.jpeg

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Daaang quite a setup there.

• Kex
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    This is my little coffee bar

That is perfection right there! Absolutely beautiful! 🤩

What is the black thing on the countertop next to the grinder?

What is that white box on the power outlet?

The only thing you mentioned that undermines your obviously elevated coffee nerd status is the use of the word “latte” which is anathema to any perfectionist coffee nerd, as that is a recent (and very unfortunate) American invention, not Italian, and it’s basically coffee with far too much, thick creamy milk froth. Cappuccino, on the other hand, is acceptable. 😜
    Alea jacta est!
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    fxkvw0o1dvf4.jpg

Sometimes

873emndbxaq2.jpg

A fellow GS driver? 👍👍

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned French press?? That is my next move....
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,207
    edited April 9
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I love French Press brewed coffee, but I hate cleaning the grounds out of them. That's why I migrated to pour over. I just dump the filter in the trash and it barely needs a rinse. If you do want to try French Press, don't get one of the glass carafe ones. Get a stainless steel one if possible, that way you can bang it harder to get the grounds to drop.
    Also, don't bother trying to do French Press unless you have an adjustable burr grinder that you can experiment with the grind size. French press needs to have a larger grind size or you be drinking all kinds of fines. My Baratza is has a 0-40 setting. Lower number is finer. I use 15 for my pour-over with a Hario filter paper. When I used a drip maker with a gold metal filter, I set it around 21. If I do French Press, the size goes up to around 30. Back before I sold my espresso machine, that would get a grind around 8.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Nightfall
    Options
    CottageChz wrote: »

A fellow GS driver? 👍👍

Yeah I just got it a few months ago after my car got stolen. 350 F Sport AWD

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I love French Press brewed coffee, but I hate cleaning the grounds out of them.
    Tovolo spatula - makes cleanup completely painless and hassle free. Best you'll ever own.

@Geoff4rfc - take a look at the Aeropress before you buy a French Press. A French Press is okay, but Aeropress beats it, IMHO. I was using a mini FP for a while, but it just wasn't as good. It is, however, good for bulk concentrate or cold brew.

I gotta get offa this thread or you guys're gonna have me addicted again.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Come back @msg tea is for pansies & Captain Picard 😉

• msg
    Options
    But, I just graduated @mhardy6647 Pinky Poise School!

I've been waiting for a coffee thread to say - Real men drink yerba mate. Coffee's for pansies and chicks.
    I disabled signatures.
  • CottageChz
    Options

A fellow GS driver? 👍👍

Yeah I just got it a few months ago after my car got stolen. 350 F Sport AWD

Ah sorry to hear about the car getting stolen, but enjoy the GS, it’s a great car - I’m on my second.

Anyway, coffee - I like the Bialetti Moka Pot that someone else here mentioned. I use that on the weekends and use a Cuisinart automatic drip machine on weekdays.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    emlzlcbs2amc.jpg
    I had to go to the basement to find this. I've had this many years, used only once or twice long ago. Since the Kirkland Dark Roast I have is a Fine Grind I tried it tonight. It still works fine. Steamed 1% milk fine. I know I bought this for pennies. May try it a few more times before it goes back downstairs.
  • msg
    Options
    dammit. I know if I make the coffee this morning I'll wind up in rehab again... but it's calling to me... and you guys are coffee enablers not sponsors.

Maybe just a half cup...

NO! I WILL NOT!
    I've lost 6 marriages, 7 jobs, 3 homes, and countless hours of sleep to the evils of coffee.

besides, dudes, yerba's just chill and focused. Coffee makes me Taz out.

Enjoy the ritual. Kinda like vinyl.
    I disabled signatures.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    fxkvw0o1dvf4.jpg

Sometimes

873emndbxaq2.jpg

A fellow GS driver? 👍👍

I'm a fellow GS driver, 18 F-Sport RWD.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »
    fxkvw0o1dvf4.jpg

Sometimes

873emndbxaq2.jpg

A fellow GS driver? 👍👍

I'm a fellow GS driver, 18 F-Sport RWD.

Wow another one! I’m surprised, it’s not a very common car.

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    Options
    I go to Amazon for whole beans and get different coffee's. I have 2 espresso machines. 1 Super Automatic and 1 manual.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.