Anyone own a Krell 2250 or 3250?

Options

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    If you are using a single ended preamp you have to have the shorting pins between pins 1and 3 on the XLR connectors. I found this out with my ksa 300s that didn't have the shorting pins when I bought it used.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,557
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Is a remote mandatory?

Tom

Yes for sure. Balanced in and outs would be nice but not required.
  • CH46E
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    If you are using a single ended preamp you have to have the shorting pins between pins 1and 3 on the XLR connectors. I found this out with my ksa 300s that didn't have the shorting pins when I bought it used.

I'm using RCA through the entire system. CD player to pre to amp. My pre amp has no XLR. But the disc player does. That's why I kind of want a XLR pre amp.

Anyways, so if I'm using all RCA connections I should have a jumper in the XLR on the amp?

I'll look over the owners manual again but I don't recall seeing that being addressed. 🤔

Thanks man
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited March 12
    Options
    So if I'm using all RCA connections I should have a jumper in the XLR on the amp?

Yes.
    The amplifier is shipped with shorting pins in the XLR inputs. These pins should remain
    in the XLR inputs if the amplifier is operating in the single-ended mode. When the
    shorting pin is inserted, pins 1 (lower left) and 3 (top) are shorted together. Remove the
    shorting pins to connect the amplifier for balanced operation.

The XLR pin configuration is described below:

Pin 1 Shield (ground)
    Pin 2 Non-inverting (hot) (0°)
    Pin 3 Inverting (cold) (180°)

Follow these steps to connect the amplifier to your system.

Directly from the owners manual, page 11

https://www.krellhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Krell_KAV2250_3250_Owners_Reference.pdf
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    The anemic sound you are hearing could be the amp design. It could also be the tubes being used in the pre. Others here would know more about which to try for better bass.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    It’s the amp… get that one to a tech and have it checked out. I firmly believe there is something damaged internally due to shipping. Krell and their mass do not hold up well with poor packaging.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    Options
    It’s the amp… get that one to a tech and have it checked out. I firmly believe there is something damaged internally due to shipping. Krell and their mass do not hold up well with poor packaging.

We don't even know if he has the shorting pins, which will definitely make it sound the way he is describing.
  • CH46E
    Options

We don't even know if he has the shorting pins, which will definitely make it sound the way he is describing.

There are no pins in place for sure. I'll order some today. Any reason I can make my own? Like a piece of solid core 18 awg copper wire? I mean just until the jumpers get here.
  • invalid
    Options
    Should work fine
  • CH46E
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    So if I'm using all RCA connections I should have a jumper in the XLR on the amp?

Yes.
    The amplifier is shipped with shorting pins in the XLR inputs. These pins should remain
    in the XLR inputs if the amplifier is operating in the single-ended mode. When the
    shorting pin is inserted, pins 1 (lower left) and 3 (top) are shorted together. Remove the

Pin 1 Shield (ground)

https://www.krellhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Krell_KAV2250_3250_Owners_Reference.pdf

Awesome catch man. Thank u very much!
  • invalid
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yes.

Pin 1 Shield (ground)

Awesome catch man. Thank u very much!

Anytime, glad I could help. You can buy the cardas shorting pins for about $4.00 each from moon audio or music direct.
  • CH46E
    Options
    I ordered 4 of them from Music Direct an hour ago. Will be a few days.
    In the mean time it looks like I'll need 10 awg wire. That I actually have some solid core I can shpe into a "U".
    .116 is the thickness of the Cardas pins.

Funny that the first two reviews are about Krell amps.

gxfb7ig7i9u4.png
    comas1b2q165.png
  • CH46E
    edited March 13
    Options
    I swapped in a new C19 20 amp power cord. Plugged directly into the same outlet as before. Still a hum. Then plugged it into the Belkin power conditioner from a separate plug (same circuit though) and still a hum. Like before the hum only happens when I attach the RCA. And only to the same channels the speakers are plugged into. I have a 3rd channel with no speaker hooked to it. If I only put an RCA on that channel (and that channel alone) there is no hum. So only when an rca is connected to a channel with a. Speaker on it does it hum.

Im just going to wait until the jumpers get here for the XLR inputs. I could not find my 10 awg solid wire to diy it. I'll just wait. I'm really hoping the jumpers solve both issues. The hum and the anemic sound.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    Try a cheater plug... not a permanent fix but might shed some light on your issue.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Hey Chris. I have the National tubes (believe I recommended when u bought the pre). Not my #1 pick in the BHK but a solid tube. FWIW, I've never found them to be anemic/thin. Did I send you the correspondence w/Jeff, owner of Sonicraft, re. the values I used on the upgraded Mundorf Silver Oil caps?

I'm skiing right now....actually having lunch in the bar...so, am going from memory. He discussed the Mundorf values(?) vs the Parasound 1500A and Sunfire 300x2 I paired w/the Anthem. Perhaps, there's something to this and the Krell's thin sound you describe....however, not the hum. LMK if you want the emails....also, just remembered, he looked over the Anthem schematics when he talked values.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Hey Chris. I have the National tubes (believe I recommended when u bought the pre). Not my #1 pick in the BHK but a solid tube. FWIW, I've never found them to be anemic/thin. Did I send you the correspondence w/Jeff, owner of Sonicraft, re. the values I used on the upgraded Mundorf Silver Oil caps?

I'm skiing right now....actually having lunch in the bar...so, am going from memory. He discussed the Mundorf values(?) vs the Parasound 1500A and Sunfire 300x2 I paired w/the Anthem. Perhaps, there's something to this and the Krell's thin sound you describe....however, not the hum. LMK if you want the emails....also, just remembered, he looked over the Anthem schematics when he talked values.

Id definitely like to see the emails. The more info I can get the better. I appreciate it.

When I took a nap today I dreamt that I could hear the music through the volume pot. Like literally put my ear into the case and hear music in the pot. 😆. What's that about?.

Anyways. I'll get the jumper pins in the XLR next and go from there. I'll try a the RCA connected to other components and different outlets. Will try and extension cord on a separate breaker.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    I'm betting the pins take care of the problem.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    There’s gotta be a loop somewhere
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Id definitely like to see the emails.

Sent a pdf to the email you PM'd.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Id definitely like to see the emails.

Sent a pdf to the email you PM'd.

Got it. Thanks so much.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited March 16
    Options
    Krell is known for their deep bass. I am betting the amp has issues. IMHO, I'd get the amp sorted out before buying a new pre. You shouldn't need tone controls to listen to the combo you have. Tubes will also influence the bass to a degree, but not so much how you describe.

H9

P.s the shorting PINS will most likely help in a big way. Hope it solves all issue including the lower output tube side.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    National is not a tube maker, they rebrand all kind of tubes from everywhere including Russian tubes. Maybe post some photo's or if there are any manufacturer codes we can help you determine what they are so you can look for another pair or a single.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • CH46E
    Options
    I'll post some pics when I get home today. Thanks. The pins should be here Monday. I also ordered some IFI power supplies for my Blu Zen and Zen Phono. I'm hoping everything comes to get her after the pins get installed.
  • CH46E
    Options

Bro!!!!!... You nailed it. I got the Caradas pins from Music Direct today. Turned on the amp again and the hum was still there. Even with the preamp off. Plugged in the pins and started it back up. k512ets7nsyo.png

No hum at all. No hiss at all. Even with my ear UPTO the tweeter, there is zero noise. I'm very happy right now. Just played some quick YouTube music from my phone to the ifi Blue Zen and it sound very nice. The imaging is incredible. I know my center speaker is not hooked up. I know the sound is not coming through the TV. But I still had to get up and check the center channel. Johnny Cash's voice...I swear was dead center. Also, I noticed that I seem to be able to get more bass from the RTA-12Bs. Maybe a placebo effect? But they went louder and tighter than I've ever heard before. At least from them. I switched over to the Marantz 7007 player and put Maxwell Embrya on. Normal CD. Nothing special. And wow. I'll run some SACD and DVD-Audio later. Can't wait to get my record player up and running. Have a new stylus to install and calibrate. Something I've never done before.

I'll put the National tubes back in later and see if the earlier problem I had persists.

• invalid
    Options
    Great news! I don't think the better bass is placebo, that amp has a pretty robust power supply.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Great news! I don't think the better bass is placebo, that amp has a pretty robust power supply.

It just seems like it better control??? Can and amp have better control over the voice coil ? Like, not just push it out but the ability to pull it in??? Or am I crazy?
  • pitdogg2
    Options

It just seems like it better control??? Can and amp have better control over the voice coil ? Like, not just push it out but the ability to pull it in??? Or am I crazy?

Yes, I believe they call that dampening factor
  • CH46E
    Options
    I felt like this set up is too bright. I thought maybe it was the caps I used in the 12Bs. So I put some infinity Primus 363s in place. They are even brighter. Like one song in with the infinity 363 and I'm done. Ready to listen to the TV. asdy0ckoc48y.jpg
    prqmvung1nfj.jpg