Anyone own a Krell 2250 or 3250?

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,454
    edited March 2
    You can do the math or use one of these sites to convert watts to amps.

https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/watts-amps.php

So at 2000 max wattage, 120vac, 16.67 amps. Specs would suggest 20 amp circuit, unless you never crank it that high. :D

Breakers can trip before their rating so a 15 amp may trip ~13 amps. Typically depends on if its steady or sudden surge amperage.

Cord wise 14 gauge wire is rated at 15 amps, 12 gauge 20 amps so I'd say use 12 gauge power cord. Minimum of 12 gauge in wall for 20 amp circuit. Also depends on length of run if 10 gauge be better to use. They have charts for that as my memory isn't reliable....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,348
    I find it odd that krell used 15 amp IEC male sockets on some of their older high powered amps like my ksa 300s, but used a 20 amp socket on some of their newer models.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    Do you guys think a tube pre amp draws much amperage? Like my Anthem Pre 2l? I want to run my power conditioner and the amp on a dedicated line with a 20.amp breaker. Maybe I should just run the amp on the new line and breaker??
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2
    Specs for the Anthem 2l shows 60VA maximum @ 100-120VAC. The online calculator shows that equates to .5A. As long as your power conditioner is rated to carry all the loads connected and the circuit it is connected to, you would be good to go.

Your Krell 3250 ranges from 115W at idle to 2000W max. While you may not run it to 2000W, best practice and IIRC the NEC says wiring must always be spec'd to max load of devices connected.

The 3250 at max load is 16.67 amp, the Anthem .5 = 17.17. IIRC, NEC says a circuit is rated for 80% so a 20 amp can run 16 amp continuously. You are slightly over based on max spec. Probably be best to run the amp off it's own circuit. That is what I do, and the conditioner runs off a separate 20 amp circuit that feeds the pre, DAC, turntable, etc.

Anthem 2l pdf.
    file:///C:/Users/scomp/Downloads/90757.pdf

https://online-calculator.org/60-va-to-amps

qk34ghoiuprp.jpg

oc5d9ex71cxk.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,348
    I would agree, especially if you are using hard to drive speakers.
  • CH46E
    This little guy showed up today on my doorstep. I think I will keep him. 😊

Looks nice. I'm sure if will do just fine 🤔.

069v0injq1az.jpg
    b4kwqgzlkk45.jpg
    i0vlboy0507p.jpg
    0o0yzgd9yeoh.jpg
  • CH46E
    Got the amp today. Sheesh it's heavy. Took the cover off to check the configuration. There are switches inside for MAT operation and Bridged operation. Anyone know what MAT means. Someone had it switched up. So now I've got it back to factory 3 channel settings. Inside is remarkably clean and free of any dust at all. Thing looks brand new. Brand new inside anyways. The lid will be dropped off for a powered coat this week. Won't have it hooked up until tomorrow.

Does anyone have a source or link for audio grade bulk power cable. Something insulated? Want to make my own power cable. 12 or 10 awg.
    ltindf8b4dcv.jpg
    wmxe06olvdeu.jpg
    1zm4cppup15i.jpg
    1rgpc34n57te.jpg
    rxv1unfcgzh0.jpg
    952mbro3qy30.jpg
    oh12l2klbm1v.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    edited March 6
    Congrats, but I must say you are incredibly lucky you got that amp in one piece. Looks like a horrible packing job… time to buy a lottery ticket.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    No doubt... What luck!

Viborg makes nice connectors

You could do a double run of supra lorad
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • CH46E
    Yes, I'm not happy about the package job at all.
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 6
    MAT is multi amp throughput. "Multi Amp Throughput (MAT) is an internal connection option for the amplifier that lets you send the same music signal to all amplifier channels using one balanced or single ended connection."

I've purchased diy wiring from Douglas. IIRC he was giving forum members a discount but I'm not sure if he still does.

https://douglasconnection.com/

Krell has manual for download

https://www.krellhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Krell_KAV2250_3250_Owners_Reference.pdf
  • SCompRacer
    Looks like the same packer of this one.

hmqmx4v34x2x.jpg
    hpiogut0132b.jpg
    9dawmu4icq8l.jpg
    vgoi1gvze0co.jpg
  • CH46E
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Looks like the same packer of this one.

hmqmx4v34x2x.jpg
    hpiogut0132b.jpg
    9dawmu4icq8l.jpg
    vgoi1gvze0co.jpg

Errrr. 😡. 💩 Hope is was ok.
  • CH46E
    edited March 6
    Got it hooked up right now. Moderate ground loop / hum. I don't have time to troubleshoot tonight. I am using AQ DiamondBacks from my Yammy HTR. Have not hooked up the pre amp yet. When the amp is on and speakers hooked up it's dead silent. Only when I connect the inputs does it hum. Some of y'all were right. It's pretty dang bright with with the HTR as a pre while playing Elton John YBR SACD. Need to get the pre amp hooked up. Will do tomorrow. Hope the ground loop magically disappears. Fingers crossed.
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 6
    CH46E wrote: »

Errrr. 😡. 💩 Hope is was ok.

It was shipped to me for recapping, so the owner had to deal with the seller. I just supplied pictures and tube prices. The seller thought that buying insurance meant they'd get paid if something was damaged. They submitted the first claim for selling price, but it was denied for improper packing. They halved the amount for the second claim, denied. The buyer said I'm sending it back and the seller refunded a more than fair amount. Fortunately, the glue joints had just separated on the cabinet.

Are those Diamondbacks single ended RCA? I had an amp I bought used that had PCB mounted RCA's. One channel RCA block ground broke at the board. The RCA felt a little wobbly when connected. If I wiggled the RCA, I could make it better or worse.
  • nooshinjohn
    Got it hooked up right now. Moderate ground loop / hum. I don't have time to troubleshoot tonight. I am using AQ DiamondBacks from my Yammy HTR. Have not hooked up the pre amp yet. When the amp is on and speakers hooked up it's dead silent. Only when I connect the inputs does it hum. Some of y'all were right. It's pretty dang bright with with the HTR as a pre while playing Elton John YBR SACD. Need to get the pre amp hooked up. Will do tomorrow. Hope the ground loop magically disappears. Fingers crossed.

Hate to put this out there, but the hum might be the result of shipping damage. Hope I am wrong, but with the way that was sent off, I would not be at all surprised.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    Chris, I in no way mean to spotlight this issue....ground loops and hum suck the major teet, on any level.

Please provide us with the configuration of the rig. Photos help but are not needed at this point.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,544
    If the amp is quiet without anything plugged other than speakers, likely it’s a ground loop.

Looking forward to the assessment.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 7

Hate to put this out there, but the hum might be the result of shipping damage. Hope I am wrong, but with the way that was sent off, I would not be at all surprised.

That's what happened with my five channel amp. It wasn't packed well. Rotel used the RCA block to secure the top of rear PCB to rear panel with a screw. Some rough handling stressed and possibly flexed the chassis. Amp was quiet with that channels RCA not connected.

I fixed it and it's still in use today. Rotel RB 985 mkii.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • CH46E
    I'm about to go hook up my pre amp. But I noticed most my AQ RCA cables or harnesses pretty bad. I have deoxit gold. Was gonna try to clean them up with some of that and some q tips if not then I'll try some pencil eraser and alcohol???
  • nooshinjohn
    What's the good news?

• CH46E
    Still a ground loop hum. Not as bad but it's still there. I'm very discouraged right now.
  • nooshinjohn
    Still a ground loop hum. Not as bad but it's still there. I'm very discouraged right now.

Was there any hum/noise present before you introduced the amp?

• CH46E
    edited March 8

Was there any hum/noise present before you introduced the amp?

No. Prior to this amp I had my Hafler XL600 hooked up. While there was a slight hiss and I mean slight, like 3 inches from tweeter it was noticable . But nothing like this. I think I'll try the amp and pre amp on another circuit in the house and see if it is still there. Oh and new RCA cables too. I may try grounding the Amp to the Belkin Pure AV I use for all the other equipment. It runs everything except the amp. In the past I had loop issues once I connected the TV to the HTR.
  • nooshinjohn
    I am inclined to think a solder joint in the amp or something else due to the shipping issues mentioned previously.

• nooshinjohn
    Any more news?

• CH46E
    I've played a few digital sources through the set up. When I connected the Anthem pre the hum is a lot less but still there. And I had trouble with one channel significantly lower than the other. I took my NOS National tubes out and put the OEM tubes back in and the levels evened out. I think one of the tubes I got from Upscale is bad. The problem is that I got them 3 years agobright before my divorce. So they have maybe 10 hours on them. They say in a ac storage unit for 2.5 years. Sucks cause they were the most expensive tubes I've purchased. I ain't mad at Upscale. This is life. 😢

So even with the OEM tubes, there is a slight hum. I really think it's a ground loop and will experiment when I get the new power cable and the new AC line dropped.

One thing I'm starting to notice (that I do not like ) about this Anthem Pre 2L is no bass or treble attenuation. I think I need to hook up my source Marantz UD7007 to the TV and check all the settings. Most music I play feel anemic. Even a bass heavy 2 Pac CD. My SACDs have very little bass also.

Just been juggling so much right now. Hard to dedicate a few hours to the system right now.
  • CH46E
    I so very very much appreciate all the input I'm receiving here. Truly, thanks you guys!
  • CH46E
    Can you guys recommend a affordable pre amp with a "warm" sound? Tube or SS to pair with their Krell KAV-3250. I want to try a different pre amp at this point. Used or new makes no difference.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    Is a remote mandatory?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~