The EV Hate Thread

Options

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Bingo! These were around before someone coined Sport Utility Vehicle.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    The Grand-daddy of the original SUV is the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer…
    Those were both body on frame. They may have had a claim to utility, but the word “sport” doesn’t exactly spring to mind.

The point wasn’t a pissing contest over who was first or who was greatest. It was to demonstrate that the Model X and Model Y weren’t the first commercially successful vehicles to claim the SUV moniker that didn’t look particularly off road capable, nor were those claims part of their sales pitch.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    If you want to get nit picky, I'd think the Bronco or K5 Blazer came before the Jeep, back when they were called ATV's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited February 18
    Options
    The 1962 Wagoneer was the first full size SUV. Key words, full size.

When it is fully operational (good luck with that) and has real off road tires it's a beast. Of course, it can't go places and do what short wheel base off road trucks can.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,398
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If you want to get nit picky, I'd think the Bronco or K5 Blazer came before the Jeep, back when they were called ATV's

I didn't see many of these on the road (Jeep, full size) until the Bronco and Blazer came out. That said, I never, EVER saw a Jeep Wagoneer going off-road and I can't seem to recall them towing anything of substance either....come to think of it. The vice-versa was the exact opposite.

What in the hill of beans does this have to do with the price of tea in China anyways?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    I find the Tesla Cyber Truck to be ugly as eff. But functionally I think it would work great for me.

I had deposit down for the Ford Lightning and after two years, I gave up. Got my little deposit back and put it down the Cyber Truck. Good thing is deposits are fully refundable. Cyber Truck is due this May/June

Once again. I do not drive these to save the whales. It is practical for what I woild use it for. Weekend short road trip getaways. I am not limited to shoreline power for an over nighter and I do not have to power all my power stations. Plus electric power is fun as heck to drive, max torque at the touch of the pedal.
  • treitz3
    edited February 19
    Options
    Playing devil's advocate here, Halen...

You would marry the ugly girl because she's the only one available?

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited February 19
    Options
    You have now.
    6efs80ihseqe.jpg
    y9xk7ahjg79q.jpg
    6oznqm7wddwm.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    I find the Tesla Cyber Truck to be ugly as eff. But functionally I think it would work great for me.

I had deposit down for the Ford Lightning and after two years, I gave up. Got my little deposit back and put it down the Cyber Truck. Good thing is deposits are fully refundable. Cyber Truck is due this May/June

Once again. I do not drive these to save the whales. It is practical for what I woild use it for. Weekend short road trip getaways. I am not limited to shoreline power for an over nighter and I do not have to power all my power stations. Plus electric power is fun as heck to drive, max torque at the touch of the pedal.

Interesting. Ford just killed the overnight shifts making
    these. At some point the new plant will be opened in our
    ares. It's called blue oval city. My understanding is the
    new plant finished date has been pushed out a year.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • halen
    edited February 19
    Options
    I made reservation for the Lightning back in early 2021. I cancelled the reservation last year after I was informed it would be another year or two before it would be my turn. Shortly after, I did debate which direction to go and ended up reserving the Cyber Truck.

@treitz3
    Does is come with a refund and remorse policy? Hahahah

I did debate a Jeep Wrangler or Toyota Tacoma due to all the mods you could do it. They are more practical for long distances and awesome for overlanding. Overlanding is not a skillset that I have.

In the end, I could always make additional mods to my current SUV and not go the Cyber Truck route.

Cheers, Happy Monday.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited February 19
    Options
    The Grand-daddy of the original SUV is the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, which gave way to Jeep Grand Cherokee, considered to be the father of the current SUV trend. The Grand Cherokee is also the most successful SUV brand of all time.

1964 Willys Kaiser Wagoneer

1u2ko552jcs8.png
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The 1962 Wagoneer was the first full size SUV. Key words, full size.

When it is fully operational (good luck with that) and has real off road tires it's a beast. Of course, it can't go places and do what short wheel base off road trucks can.

I had no idea these were out in the early 60's. I had many family members who had a Jeep but never the larger models. All I remember seeing in my "early" youth was Bronco's, K5 Blazers and the International Harvester Scout.
  • Kex
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    I find the Tesla Cyber Truck to be ugly as eff. But functionally I think it would work great for me…

Not sure I’d personally call it ugly per se, but I’ll wait to see one before final my judgment on that score. Definitely unconventional and different.

As for functionality, most average EV’s (not just the expensive ones) fit the average urban user profile. Charging at home, driving 100 miles a day or less etc. The torque definitely makes them more fun to drive than the average Toyota Corolla or RAV4… by orders of magnitude.

Hope you aren’t intending to resell the Cybertruck, If you end up getting one. With all the haphazard price reduction announcements to drive volumes, the self-proclaimed Chief Twit is killing resale values for his vehicles, something Hertz mentioned as a major factor in their decision to sell off some of their Tesla fleet prematurely.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,085
    edited February 19
    Options
    Willys built some hypercool Jeep models in the 1950s & '60s.

2xu81jrzn6mg.jpg
    (random web photo)

I was sorely tempted to acquire this 1961 Willys (albeit not an SUV) that was for sale here in our little hamlet a couple of years ago for ca. $20k.

52212025863_cefa6d69c0_b.jpg

Jump like a Willys in four-wheel drive...
  • F1nut
    Options
    Those old Willys are very cool.

President of Club Polk

• halen
    Options
    @Kex
    Yes definitely fun to drive and practical for my use of it. Much more excitement than many autos, not just RAV4 or Corolla.

During covid, the price of Trucks and SUVs were off the charts. Insane. The price cuts from Tesla is not a barrier to entry for me. I hardly ever buy for resale unless it is stocks, metals, or properties.

When I purchase an SUV, it is to make use of the extra space. With that space comes loading, unloading items. A lot. So I expect wear and tear could and likely will happen. A utility vehicle not the showroom white glove treatment. Add on little kids that are destructive by nature. Creating memories for myself and memories my children will have is priceless. Resale is not even a consideration for my intent.

I do appreciate you for pointing out what you
    did. I do not always cover all the data points, assumptions, lots of them.

Cheers
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    Options
    EV is the ultimate fail
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    Options
    jptixkvotjzy.png

Tom
  • Kex
    Options
    If we’re going to start complaining about the weight of EV’s and damage to the road, then we should also consider the weight of the most popular ICE vehicles, including the best selling F150.

The best selling Teslas (over 90% of sales) are the Model 3 and the Model Y.
    • Model Y = 4,200 lbs
    • Model 3 = 3,900 lbs
    • F150 Supercrew 2WD = 4,600 lbs

As for pricing, without incentives, the Model Y and Model 3 start at $46K and $41K, both well below the average vehicle purchase price in the 🇺🇸. The F150 with Supercrew starts at $46K for the base version and $52K for the XLT.

So no. Not really half the weight and not half the price.

Even the base model Explorer is $39K (although it’s not likely that anyone would have to pay full price) and weighs more than either Tesla.
    Alea jacta est!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    Please compare a Chevy, since the Ford is on the same footing as the Tesla...It is always in the shop.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,291
    edited February 20
    Options
    Comparing the weight of a full size truck to a car isn't a fair comparison. Most people who buy a truck will be forced to buy an electric truck if no combustion engine trucks are available in the future.
  • Kex
    edited February 20
    Options
    There are obviously limitations to the comparison, but since 90% of truck buyers don’t actually need a truck, it’s just comparing three of the most popular vehicles in the country today.

In any case, the Explorer comparison supports the same conclusions.

It’s also unlikely that ICE trucks will be unavailable in the market in the foreseeable future.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Please compare a Chevy, since the Ford is on the same footing as the Tesla...It is always in the shop.

Ouch! 🤕

Serious burn! 🔥 🔥 🔥
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Comparing the weight of a full size truck to a car isn't a fair comparison. Most people who buy a truck will be forced to buy an electric truck if no combustion engine trucks are available in the future.

A battery truck would not be able to accomplish what I do in a day's work with my truck....without a 3 to 5 hour charge in the middle of the workday.

Tom
  • Kex
    Options
    There is no current electric truck capable of replacing a full size working HD truck that involves towing etc.

The current options only replace casual truck driving and commuters.
    Alea jacta est!
  • halen
    Options
    Okay. So why do I hate EV's?
    I do not hate EVs for the concept or what it is capable of. The fun factor

I hate the propaganda and misleading news media of a greener earth as the reason for going EV. I truly cant stand it.

All noise aside. Like audio or any hobby, I like to try things. All things were designed for a purpose, sure there are failure more than no.

But at least I tried it. Be open minded.

Cheers

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,701
    Options
    EV?

halen?

Eddie Van Halen?

I'm lost. :#
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,085
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    EV?

halen?

Eddie Van Halen?

I'm lost. :#

He didn't play an internal combustion guitar.
    Coincidence?
    I think not.