The EV Hate Thread

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    But they have wifi in the outhouse.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    edited January 23
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Y'all don't have 200A service in 2024?! That's remarkable (i.e., from a US perspective).

It's remarkable up here too. Was talking with another coworker and he was SHOCKED that we had 125A for a 2008 home. He's like "When I built my house in, probably '89 or so, I put a 200A service in".

I'm going to assume it was because it was cheaper for the contractors who built our home. They did a terrible job. The only thing competent was the electrical, it's done really well considering the limitations.

The baseboard trim doesn't even have caulking. Huge gaps everywhere. Paint was done with the outlet box covers on and it got on them causing them to stick to the wall. It's also on the ceiling and basebord trim. Drywall has a lot of visible seams. There's like 6 studs with massive chunks taken out of them from where the plumber ran a pipe. Did I mention these studs are 2x6s? Yeah, it's a load bearing wall.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They'd need to change the single transformer that powers all 4 homes on our private lane because it's only 50kVA, which means that it just barely handles all of 4 homes on a 125A service each. Then they'd need to change the lines and that would cost a TON.
    The transformer outside my house is 125kva ( our subdivision lines are all underground). It can only accommodate 6 residences that go solar and put energy back to the grid, each one handles 8-10 houses

The power companies can run those distribution transformers way over what they are rated for, and they do it all the time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They'd need to change the single transformer that powers all 4 homes on our private lane because it's only 50kVA, which means that it just barely handles all of 4 homes on a 125A service each. Then they'd need to change the lines and that would cost a TON.
    The transformer outside my house is 125kva ( our subdivision lines are all underground). It can only accommodate 6 residences that go solar and put energy back to the grid, each one handles 8-10 houses

The power companies can run those distribution transformers way over what they are rated for, and they do it all the time.

All I know is what the Electric Company (Amren) told me when they came out with the solar company to verify my residence. I do know down the street they (Amren) turned down 3 residences that wanted to go solar because there was too many on that transformer that wanted to go solar. They allowed the 6 and turned down 3 until they upgrade that transformer to accommodate the other 3.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    ^^^^
    z2i1cco0tuup.png
    Dude, hate to have to tell you this, but I think you might have a glitch in your Matrix.

Apologies for the off topic, but those two were shelter rescues, brothers, twins, 20 lbs each (40 lbs of trouble). They were hilarious in their twins behavior, and had monstrous playful personalities, huge appetites, and almost doglike tendencies. If they both decided to get on you for a nap you were totally dominated ("you will be assimilated!...").
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    I was going to go solar here but the utility company says I need a special meter that's about $2,500, then everything purchased has to be pre- approved, inspected prior to installation, inspected during installation, then inspected after installation and test run off grid to make sure compatibility. I was quoted $20-25k for this. Then they only pay incoming power at wholesale and charge outgoing at retail. The new top secret meter keeps a tally of every second of incoming and outgoing power.

I basically told them to pound sand.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Same here. The scammers call me all the time offering me free solar with a power wall. When asked what they mean by “free”, they tell me that over time, it will be free based upon the saving from the power company, but it will be 35k up front.

At 350 bucks every two months to the power company, I will have replaced the entire system twice out of my own pocket before I recoup the money from the initial investment…. EFF THAT!!!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Happy with our investment with about 6 kW of photovoltaics here (installed in two tranches; half when the house was built, the other half several years later).

53280070742_d30a2b3733_h.jpg

Indeed, after our daughter & son-in-law added a tracker to their solar array a couple of towns east of us, I have been getting the urge to install one here, too. I realized we have a reasonably good place to put one downhill from the house in the wasteland field on the west side of the property. :)

53250073644_5e8da60f2b_h.jpg

Much higher efficiency compared to the fixed angle of ours, which are roof-mounted. 'spensive, though.
    We'd have enough capacity to keep a pure-play EV fully charged most of the year, on ol' Sol. :)

53463995756_d4ed4f39c2_h.jpg

• charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    A solar salesman knocked on my door last week and I told him I'm an Eco-Terrorist. After telling him all the things I like to do to harm the environment, he didn't want to hang around anymore.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Well, there wasn't any global warming going on around here last week!

Did you show him where you dump your used motor oil?!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • invalid
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

On the logs to start the campfire 🔥
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Solar here is actually a phenomenal investment. We'd pay the system off in 10 years with our savings and it turns out NS Power no longer charges for a meter or transfer switch according to their website. Everything else would still cost a ton of money.

As much as I personally think that here in NS, it will end up a disaster for our grid infrastructure due to no meter charges, it is genuinely awesome and if I was building a home or a homeowner who had the spare cash, I'd install a solar system that covers my roof and probably a couple backup batteries.

Main problem is the poor future planning from legislators and their lack of knowledge. If a meter charge was in effect then there'd be nothing to worry about.

Everything's got it's ups and downs.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

Dang, I should have. :D
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    I saw a house in the neighborhood the other week that had new solar, edge to edge... Installed over shingles that look ready to be replaced. I'm pretty sure whoever that solar salesman was told them they'd be fine.

Wonder what it costs to remove and reinstall solar.
    I disabled signatures.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

With our government banning home heating oil and internal combustion engine vehicles, what in God's name are people supposed to do when something like this happens? Seriously, if our grid can't even handle the current electrical demand during a storm, what happens when people are charging their cars and using electric heat?

just before you freeze (or starve) to death, you'll be thinking "I shoulda voted for the other guy"
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    The new top secret meter keeps a tally of every second of incoming and outgoing power.

I basically told them to pound sand.

that's so they can CONTROL your usage

good on you for flip'n 'em off
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    I saw a house in the neighborhood the other week that had new solar, edge to edge... Installed over shingles that look ready to be replaced. I'm pretty sure whoever that solar salesman was told them they'd be fine.

This is pie in the sky right now, but it's too bad we don't have an affordable, durable, 50-year solar roofing material. Imagine if most people's roofs were cranking out power (the wires are already there) to supplement what's centrally generated. Everyone involved would have to chip in to support/modernize/strengthen grid infrastructure. If a limb came down on your supply (yes, those lines should all be buried), and you have batteries (we need better batteries) you could invert into a few circuits to keep the lights/freezer on etc. The big power companies don't want decentralized power generation and are creating disincentives. One could make the argument that it's in the national security interest of this country to decentralize power generation. Look at Ukraine.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Earthships, I say.
    But with power for us to run high current audio systems.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options

This is pie in the sky right now, but it's too bad we don't have an affordable, durable, 50-year solar roofing material. Imagine if most people's roofs were cranking out power (the wires are already there) to supplement what's centrally generated. Everyone involved would have to chip in to support/modernize/strengthen grid infrastructure. If a limb came down on your supply (yes, those lines should all be buried), and you have batteries (we need better batteries) you could invert into a few circuits to keep the lights/freezer on etc. The big power companies don't want decentralized power generation and are creating disincentives. One could make the argument that it's in the national security interest of this country to decentralize power generation. Look at Ukraine.

It would be cheaper long term to simply build more power plants and protect the grid from threats like EMP. It would also be better for the environment as mining these materials and disposal of them later is incredibly destructive to our world.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    edited January 23
    Options
    dot dot dot
    Post edited by halen on
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    edited January 23
    Options
    @ChrisD06
    "No doubt about it. I mean sure one could argue against it and yeah it has flaws, but in the dead of winter? Go out in your backyard, cut down a tree, and it'll heat your home forever."

How insanely large is this tree? Has the magnificently large tree died for a long time and well seasoned? Forever? A true cord of firewood barely last a single short winter here in Texas.

I am not a go green, global warming fearing person. I love my petro powered autos, home appliances and camping gear.

I do enjoy EV cars and battery operated alternatives. Not for the save the planet doomsday BS. EV cars are fun to drive.

Yeah I said it.

halen
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    You are such a rebel, Halen. 😀

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The only reason most hate EV's, is because they are being shoved down our throats. America is suppose to be the land of choices right. When you start taking away choices, or purposely making one more expensive than another to drive those choices in a direction someone deems acceptable, then the hate comes out.

Nobody gives 2 sheets if you drive an EV or not, just don't tell people that will be their only choice down the road. Certain behaviors by force doesn't sit well in a supposedly free market society.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    The only reason most hate EV's, is because they are being shoved down our throats. America is suppose to be the land of choices right. When you start taking away choices, or purposely making one more expensive than another to drive those choices in a direction someone deems acceptable, then the hate comes out.

Nobody gives 2 sheets if you drive an EV or not, just don't tell people that will be their only choice down the road. Certain behaviors by force doesn't sit well in a supposedly free market society.

Sounds very familiar,,,,Due to the impending gasoline pandemic, we have an experimental EV mandate.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited January 24
    Options

Nobody gave me a choice when NTSC analog TV went away. We went from receiving well over a dozen stations OTA (with a big Yagi and rotator) in our deep-fringe suburban locale NW of Boston to receiving 2 or 3 digital stations, literally overnight.

The driver wasn't progress (at least in terms of television) or better video quality or more choice. It was to free up bandwidth on the broadcast frequency spectrum (the old "low VHF" frequencies allocated to analog TV channels 2 to 6) for the FCC to auction off for other services.
    So, yeah, that 'American choice' ship sailed a while ago.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    Also, in regards to centralized power generation, if you want to control and manipulate masses of people, pack them into cities, then turn off their gas, water, and electricity.
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • invalid
    Options
    Also, in regards to centralized power generation, if you want to control and manipulate masses of people, pack them into cities, then turn off their gas, water, and electricity.

They wouldn't do it that way, they will just make it unaffordable when they want to.
  • ChrisD06
    edited January 24
    Options

I kinda dislike EVs because my family owns a hybrid. It's a 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid with the Technology Package. Not a full EV but it's half electric so it counts.

Great car, I refuse to drive the RAV4, only the Acura. It's probably the nicest car I've ever driven and furthermore ever been in. It's a super smooth and enjoyable ride.

The hybrid computer decided to get a broken solder joint. My Dad started panicking because this would mean a new hybrid system including the battery. About $8,000. Fortunately I found that they had a recall for it and told my Dad, so it was done for free.

Anyways, that's as far as my experience with any sort of 'electric' vehicle would go. The car is super gas efficient and quiet, it's amazing. Has great acceleration too and then when it switches back to gas the CVT takes over and hauls some serious donkey.

So: I don't like 'electric' vehicles because the problems can suddenly arise (like a broken solder joint) and cost more than an entire engine replacement or even a used Corolla. I like electric vehicles because Holy smokes are they nice to ride.

If EVs became cheaper to buy and repair and Tesla stopped being the Apple of the EV market, I'd probably be all over them. Solid state batteries are 100% going to cause the EV market to skyrocket.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Point of order: Tesla are not the Apple of the EV market.

They just like to think they are. 😜
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    As for EV’s, I drove one as a rental once. It was just the lowly BMW i3, the funky one with the carbon fibre body. With a 0-60 of about 7s, it felt much faster than that. Truly fast. The instant torque at any speed is addictive. It also felt much larger on the inside than it looks on the outside.

I’m not in the market because my ICE’s are just too reliable and too cheap to maintain, even though they are 18 and 17 y/o with one of them close to 160,000 miles (bought new).

If I ever do get a new car, though, it will be fully electric, not hybrid. I have no desire to drive long distance rather than fly to my destination and rent when I get there, so anything that can mange 200 miles is more than enough. I would always charge at home, and never use public charging.

Not only would a hybrid be superfluous for my needs, but the gasoline engine would require exactly the same maintenance as a regular ICE, so there’d be no economy on maintenance.

My preferred choice right now would be a BMW i4 or a Porsche Taycan.
    Alea jacta est!