Power cables

Options
13»

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    I didn't want to believe it either. A year or two ago, I would have agreed with you 100%. I didn't have the finances or the interest in dumping money into a power cable. Do I want to spend over $1k on a power cable now? Not really, but I will if that's what it takes to get to the sound that I enjoy. I realize now that the power cable is just another component in the system.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    There's something about this hobby that is particularly interesting.

2 years ago, me and @treitz3 literally had different stereo systems. I would say by all accounts, we both had very very good systems.

There was a point though after a major speaker acquisition that we both caught the bug and the setups we have now are so vastly superior to those prior setups.

I don't know how measurements play into relaying how a speaker images and soundstage depth and how 3d an image is. In my experience though that is where most of the changes I hear come from. The way stereo can image is mind boggling. To experience full 360 degree imaging and 30 wide soundstages and 30 ft of depth is really addictive.

With that said, I have like a governor in this hobby that starts to kick in where it no longer becomes fun. When I am so invested monetarily, I start to lose enjoyment. That is part of the reason I quasi started over again. I don't like owning super expensive equipment, especially if not near fully devalued from time.

Money doesn't buy good sound, taking the time to find synergistic matches to your system is and maximizing placement and trying different cables and tubes etc etc

When people look at only specs and make decisions only on that, they might as well find a new hobby.

Gear with very similar specs and measurements can sound vastly different.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

The sound perceived with cables is not necessarily commensurate with price.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 17
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Once you experience what a silent noise floor does for the reproduction of music, there is no going back....Audio is a journey, a collection of experiences, which means different things to different people. Trial and error....as best you can, with the wallet you have.

Experience? Experiences? Trial and error? That's WORK It is much easier to let someone else do all the thinking (and do all the work).

I have done some noise spectrum (Fast Fourier Transform) measurements of various power cords. The high performance cords measured better than the basic cords. I still had to listen though.

It seems that a lot of people are not aware that stereophonic sound is an aural illusion created in the brain of the listener. By what scientific means can an illusion be measured? What performance metrics correlate to things like sound stage dimensions and image solidity?

It also seems that a lot of people have an inordinate concern about merchandise they have no intention of buying. I (currently) have less than zero interest in tube audio gear, vinyl, and turntables. Therefore, I have less than zero need to be "educated" about $100,000 tube amplifiers, $400 rare vinyl pressings, $200,000 turntables, and $15,000 phono cartridges.

In the future, when I am more dedicated to consumer research than I am now, I will ask a group of women to educate me on the need for a $10,000 Louis Vuitton handbag or a $52,000 Gucci handbag. Of course, part of my education will be proof that the uber expensive handbags are objectively and measurable better than any other high quality leather handbag costing around $200.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    All I know is that with this hobby, you can never know what will or won’t work. There’s a reason there’s been discussion about cables since decades ago… someone heard something, then someone else, then so on and so forth. Who am I to discount their opinion and experiences?

In the end, I tried it myself after being so resistant. And while I know they make a difference, I also know where their yield no longer makes sense for me - so I keep an eye on their ROI.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    Options
    If you do question what power cables can do why not jump on the trial. What a great way to see what they can offer. Also find a dealer that will let you give them a trail.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    Someone please educate me … I was perusing the Snake River power cable thread …

How is it possible that a power cable can have an impact on a component’s sound vs any other competently designed cable - meaning the one that was supplied with said component ?

Bk

I'm curious, has this thread swayed your opinion in any way?

Honestly, not really….
    I’m all for using “good” cabling - speaker cable , interconnects etc…
    I’m just not buying into the benefits of an esoteric exotic $1,000 power cable .
    Everything I’ve ever read just doesn’t support it.
    I think “confirmation bias” may be a player here.

For example -

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

Y’all trust blue jeans cables , right ?

The way something “sounds” is very subjective, but measurements don’t lie , and I haven’t seen any evidence that these exotic cables “measure” in such a way as to impact the “sound” for the better.

That’s just my opinion , to each their own .
    Thanks for the insight though !
    I was curious.

Bk

Honestly, just enjoy it then. Don’t spend your hobby money on something you don’t feel good about.

But if you get a chance to try it, then try it. Doesn’t hurt to reaffirm if you still don’t hear anything special or different.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • jbreezy5
    Options

…Experience? Experiences? Trial and error? That's WORK It is much easier to let someone else do all the thinking (and do all the work).

I have done some noise spectrum (Fast Fourier Transform) measurements of various power cords. The high performance cords measured better than the basic cords. I still had to listen though.

…By what scientific means can an illusion be measured? What performance metrics correlate to things like sound stage dimensions and image solidity?

If swapping cables and listening is how Americans define work, our nation is in a kore terrifying state than I’ve ever imagined. Man that is lazy.

Cool that you did FFT experiments.

There are measurements that correlate to the human ability to perceive soundstaging and imaging characteristics.

For example, The Denafrips Ares II DAC has a slight roll-off in high frequencies (see Stereophile review). This may cause a decrease in one’s sense of upper frequency range detail, which is a major contributor to a sense of soundstaging expansiveness and/or airiness.

This same thing happens with speakers. Speakers that have superior off-axis responses tend to have perceptibly wider soundstages.

I can agree that not all things that can be measured directly correlate to what is heard; but some measurements do directly correlate to what we hear.

It makes sense to me that cables have sonic characteristics.

I almost think to convince someone of this, instead of having them compare silver and copper, they should compare copper to a less conductive metal. Sometimes discerning loss of fidelity is easier than hearing slight sonic changes/improvements.

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 704
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    If you do question what power cables can do why not jump on the trial. What a great way to see what they can offer…..

Ok , good idea …who do I contact ?

Bk

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    @treitz3 ^^^

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    edited January 17
    Options
    Would you like to be put in the rotation? If so, I would be happy to add you to the list.

One caveat - there are rules to be in the demo. You must post your impressions (good, bad or indifferent) after your demo. Also, the demo program only offers you two weeks to evaluate said PC. [EDIT:] You must also ship said cables onto the next person (insured) on your own dime.

What it would offer you is a glimpse into the potential...

Just let me know what you would like to do. I am fine either way.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gyosa
    edited January 17
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Would you like to be put in the rotation? If so, I would be happy to add you to the list.

One caveat - there are rules to be in the demo. You must post your impressions (good, bad or indifferent) after your demo. Also, the demo program only offers you two weeks to evaluate said PC. [EDIT:] You must also ship said cables onto the next person (insured) on your own dime.

Tom

That would be great Tom….

Let’s see for myself…
    Otherwise I get the feeling y’all will ex-communicate me ..
    😃😃

Someone gimme a heads-up first , I’m an airline pilot and have an erratic schedule.

✈️

Bk

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    Naw, we aren't that kind of crowd. There are many folks who would love for you to see hear what differences they can make. You have some nice gear. Let it play to it's (possible) potential.

Here's what I need from you...

Full legal name
    Moniker
    Valid and current email address
    Phone number
    Emergency contact (preferably someone that lives at your home)
    Shipping address
    Please include which PC you voted for/requested for demo in your PM

Please PM me with all of this information (None of it will be released to the public).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in your PM. I'm actually glad that you are willing to try. This is a rare opportunity to try a high end PC out at minimal cost.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gyosa
    Options
    Tom

PM sent ..

Bk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

If swapping cables and listening is how Americans define work, our nation is in a kore terrifying state than I’ve ever imagined. Man that is lazy.

Critical listening of a stereophonic sound field is work. There are so many things to evaluate. I found that I need to take detailed notes.
    There are measurements that correlate to the human ability to perceive soundstaging and imaging characteristics.

For example, The Denafrips Ares II DAC has a slight roll-off in high frequencies (see Stereophile review). This may cause a decrease in one’s sense of upper frequency range detail, which is a major contributor to a sense of soundstaging expansiveness and/or airiness.

This same thing happens with speakers. Speakers that have superior off-axis responses tend to have perceptibly wider soundstages.

Bell Laboratories did some studies on enhancing the sound localization performance of home stereo systems. The problem is that laboratory results cannot always be replicated due to differences in room acoustics, and associated electronics.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

That would be great Tom….

Let’s see for myself…
    Otherwise I get the feeling y’all will ex-communicate me ..
    😃😃

Someone gimme a heads-up first , I’m an airline pilot and have an erratic schedule.

✈️

Bk
    That’s the right attitude. Have fun!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited January 18
    Options

…Experience? Experiences? Trial and error? That's WORK It is much easier to let someone else do all the thinking (and do all the work).

…By what scientific means can an illusion be measured? What performance metrics correlate to things like sound stage dimensions and image solidity?

I can agree that not all things that can be measured directly correlate to what is heard; but some measurements do directly correlate to what we hear.

I almost think to convince someone of this, instead of having them compare silver and copper, they should compare copper to a less conductive metal. Sometimes discerning loss of fidelity is easier than hearing slight sonic changes/improvements.

Actually what you say is not true, a "bright" sounding piece of gear doesn't have more or less aural queues with regards to soundstage or airiness any more or less than a neutral or warm piece of gear. Now this may be YOUR perception, but as far as measurement go, that's simply not true.

Now, types of distortion present can have the affect you mention, 2nd or 3rd harmonics whether they are present, higher or lower, can give the illusion of a deeper, wider soundstage and that aural feeling of airiness. But you can;t say because it measures rolled off it's going to be this or that with regards to the soundstage height, width or depth or airiness.

The aural queues our brain perceives aren't easily correlated to specific measurements except the above seems to be general truth according to Nelson Pass. His SIT 3 amplifier has a knob on the front to vary distortion levels and one can perceive slight differences in presentation, set it where you like.

H9

Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,375
    Options
    DarqueKnight's point about room acoustics is exactly right. To me the room is just as important as the electronic gear and speakers for stereo presentation. Put the same audio system in a large room that has windows on three sides and a suspended wooden floor covered with ceramic tiles and it'll sound profoundly different than the same system put in a medium sized basement room with a slab floor with too many bass traps and other room treatments. And neither of those rooms will be ideal but some people may think the gear is to blame for bad sound. Tinkering with cables won't fix the location problems.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

Actually what you say is not true, a "bright" sounding piece of gear doesn't have more or less aural queues with regards to soundstage or airiness any more or less than a neutral or warm piece of gear. Now this may be YOUR perception, but as far as measurement go, that's simply not true.

Now, types of distortion present can have the affect you mention, 2nd or 3rd harmonics whether they are present, higher or lower, can give the illusion of a deeper, wider soundstage and that aural feeling of airiness. But you can;t say because it measures rolled off it's going to be this or that with regards to the soundstage height, width or depth or airiness.

The aural queues our brain perceives aren't easily correlated to specific measurements except the above seems to be general truth according to Nelson Pass. His SIT 3 amplifier has a knob on the front to vary distortion levels and one can perceive slight differences in presentation, set it where you like.

H9

I actually never said anything about “bright” sounding pieces of gear. Yours was a straw man response.

• jbreezy5
    Options

Critical listening of a stereophonic sound field is work. There are so many things to evaluate. I found that I need to take detailed notes.

Bell Laboratories did some studies on enhancing the sound localization performance of home stereo systems. The problem is that laboratory results cannot always be replicated due to differences in room acoustics, and associated electronics.

That’s why people get into room treatments.

Phrases used in my above post, such as “tend to”, leave room that there may be exceptional circumstances; however, the basic principles remain static.