Guide: How to refinish your speakers

Options

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    His speakers look great, but he doesn't want to share pictures of them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    What the ****
    I thought we learned as a kid how to wacks on wacks off

Use a sock
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,481
    Options
    There was a dude in our shop when I was in the AF who used someone else's sock while they were deployed. He said it was an accident and meant to use his own.

I magine getting dressed in the AM and you can't get your foot into your sock. Or worse, you can, and then realize what's happened, and that it wasn't you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ratpin
    ratpin Posts: 85
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Give the kid a break. He's trying to help. Everybody's method is different and evolves as one gets more experienced.
    This online culture we live in is tough to stomach some times. The piling on...

We didn't all just wake up one day and know everything, although it seems a few members here might have.
    Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,613
    Options
    If it had only happened just this one time …
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    If it had only happened just this one time …

In band camp?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    ratpin wrote: »
    Give the kid a break. He's trying to help. Everybody's method is different and evolves as one gets more experienced.

We didn't all just wake up one day and know everything, although it seems a few members here might have.

I have no dog in this particular fight but Chris has a history here at Club Polk that....well, let's just say that he didn't exactly welcome himself or introduce himself the right way. He rubbed some people the wrong way, trying to "school" the members here on some things he knew nothing about or simply had no experience with.

We warned him about this, but he kept on with his agenda. What you are seeing here is the end result of him acting the way he did on some other threads.

I feel for him at this point but it's his bed. He made it and now he has to sleep in it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options

The kid comes off like a know it all, he might actually learn something if he didn't act this way.
  • ratpin
    ratpin Posts: 85
    edited November 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

I have no dog in this particular fight but Chris has a history here at Club Polk that....well, let's just say that he didn't exactly welcome himself or introduce himself the right way. He rubbed some people the wrong way, trying to "school" the members here on some things he knew nothing about or simply had no experience with.

We warned him about this, but he kept on with his agenda. What you are seeing here is the end result of him acting the way he did on some other threads.

I feel for him at this point but it's his bed. He made it and now he has to sleep in it.

Tom

That's fair. I don't know the history, but there does seem to be instances where "some" members kind of "haze" newer members with low post count. I have felt this myself as in 2020 I had to start a new account due to losing my previous email. My original account was from 2005. I was definitely treated differently. I only check in here sporadically though.

Some members have been extremely helpful. A few consistently come across as cynical know-it-alls. I'm sure you can think of a few names that fit this bill.

All good though. That's the new reality we live in. Happy Holidays Polkies!

Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Is he finally gone tho?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Man, I think some of you boys have lost your appetite for good old fashion entertainment. in the vein of Polk farm boy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    I was dealt far far far worse 20 years ago, this is just a light ribbing haha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hahaha....no doubt. Like a soft, blowing breeze compared to your head on hurricane.

"Sid the Kid".

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    It's been my experience and observation that on any established forum, if you don't display humility and respect toward the existing members, you're going to get called out and clubbed like a baby seal. After all, would you let a rude, know-it-all, loudmouth, jacka-- run amuck in your own home without eventually pulling them aside and giving them a coaching session as to the behavior that you expected them to exhibit from that moment forward?

I'm glad there are people here that keep it real and call BS where it needs to be called. I wouldn't want to be needing to refinish my speakers and, not knowing any better, have this be the first thread I ran across when searching how others did it, without all the feedback that followed the OP. Stupidity needs to be ID'd for what it is.

This was obviously a Troll Post with approximately zero 🙄 pics, grossly ridiculous/overly simplistic instructions and exaggerations (a "decent chunk of money" for paper towels and Minwax?!) and hopefully it was his last hurrah. But, if not, may the same fate await the next diarrhea of the keyboard post or posts from this member until he either gets a clue, or leaves.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    It's been my experience and observation that on any established forum, if you don't display humility and respect toward the existing members, you're going to get called out and clubbed like a baby seal. After all, would you let a rude, know-it-all, loudmouth, jacka-- run amuck in your own home without eventually pulling them aside and giving them a coaching session as to the behavior that you expected them to exhibit from that moment forward?

I'm glad there are people here that keep it real and call BS where it needs to be called.

While this may not be well accepted in today's "politically correct" world?

Well said.

And you are relatively new here, in the whole grand scheme of things. It's amazing what a proper introduction can do. First impressions actually do make a difference.

My hat is off to you for doing it the correct and respectful way.

Tom

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    ... there does seem to be instances where "some" members kind of "haze" newer members with low post count...

I still get hazed. But just by the childish whining sniveling bit ches here.

All in good fun though ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    Who here gets "hazed" more than Russ? Never hear any crybaby stuff from him even when he's "piled" on by several members.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Who here gets "hazed" more than Russ? Never hear any crybaby stuff from him even when he's "piled" on by several members.

Russ is a m a so c h i s t... he LIKES it. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    piled on... members...
    oh, my!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    Is there a particular brand of paper towels that work better
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Brawny obviously. What, are you new?
  • CottageChz
    Options

https://www.schiit.com/products/toilet-paper

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I've seen it all now. Can't believe I watched the whole video. Poor speakers. What a waste
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Options
    I was dealt far far far worse 20 years ago, this is just a light ribbing haha

I was actually wondering about how your experience compared.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Is he finally gone tho?
    No.
    0cgjcigl6c0j.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    This was at the bottom of page 1 of the "Recent Discussions" and I'm just not ready to let it go yet.

Brian

• msg
    Options
    I'm sure it's still got legs. If not now, it may come back later.

I'm still trying to find again the thread of the guy who was talking about how his RTi floor stander on its side was a perfect center channel.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited December 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I'm sure it's still got legs. If not now, it may come back later.

vawo4a1dnnrq.gif
    Teri Garr :)
    I'm still trying to find again the thread of the guy who was talking about how his RTi floor stander on its side was a perfect center channel.

p'haps?
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178364/third-rti-a7-on-its-side-for-center-channel

or...
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/100544/center-idea-for-my-rti12s

or...
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/99585/center-speaker-on-its-side
  • msg
    Options
    Great tries, Doc! but it's none of those. However, The Pit mentions the thread in his response to another member in yhiyt first link. You got closer than I ever did.
    I disabled signatures.