Snake River *possible* demo for Club Polk members poll....

Options
Hello all and good evening to you. This is more of a feeler than anything but Jonny (the owner of Snake River cables) is entertaining the thought of doing what we have done in the past. That is, a demo program where Club Polk members get to try out something that they may not have otherwise considered.

In this case? We are talking about a power cord provided by a high end company. Many of you have read about it. Maybe you haven't. With that said? I have one simple question for the folks on this forum.

If a demo program was to commence? What would be the one power cord you would want to choose in order to get a glimpse into what I have been experiencing?

Please vote and thank you very much for taking the time to read this post.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Snake River *possible* demo for Club Polk members poll.... 19 votes

Snake River Power cord for Components?
36%
JCLheiney9pearsall001marvda1nooshinjohnerniejadeChrisD06 7 votes
Sanke River Power cord for Amplifiers?
63%
vmaxermhardy6647Joey_Vrooftop59kevhed72pitdogg2newbie308dromundsHzTweakerjdjohnbcwsrtneuschww 12 votes

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Regardless of the type of cable offered? It will be a standard 15 amp to the wall with a 15amp IEC connector.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    VERY nice Tom.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I think one of their entry level models would do, it would give us a chance to check out the build quality, fitment and overall performance.

Count me in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Bump.

Tom
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    I'm down for checking out a Snake River Power cord for Amplifiers. Any idea what the wire gauge of this product will be?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • treitz3
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    I'm down for checking out a Snake River Power cord for Amplifiers. Any idea what the wire gauge of this product will be?

Hmmm, not really. That's something I never inquired about, to be honest with you. Here's why.

Snake River Audio builds their Signature Series "Amp Series" Hybrid power cables using a hybrid recipe of pure 24k Gold, pure 0.999 silver, and pure red copper conductor, along with their own US/IEC connectors. They do use heavier gauge conductors (67% more precious metal per inch) within their "Amp Series" PC's. As to what the "actual" gauge is? I have no clue.

They are a mix of pure gold, pure silver and pure red copper in a proprietary blend. None of the precious metals are diluted with inferior conductors/metalurgies. They are all pure and solid conductors. Then, they do what they refer to as an "Eddie Twist".

The Eddie Twist maximizes the effects of two principles, dielectric and surface area (or skin effect). By maximizing the surface area of their conductors, they greatly reduce the opposing eddy currents an A/C signal can create. It's very time and resource consuming, and ends up utilizing more precious metal wiring.

The pic's below that can help illustrate the design of said Eddie Twist...

55wvdta7nlck.jpg

Versus the Eddie Twist...

bk4o0plrfg92.jpg

Now, the dielectric. As you may know, a dielectric is a non-conductive material that's used around and between your wires, to keep them from touching each other and shorting out. The problem, is that most non-conductive dielectric materials out there also absorb electrons, I.E., your music signal. Spread out along the length of your cables? That could be a problem. It's common knowledge that the absolute best dielectric possible.. is air.

They designed a method to take advantage of their Eddie Twist configuration, to create an 85%+ air dielectric in their cables. Here is an example...

cmqz64hujuq0.jpg

Versus the Eddie Twist design...

su724u30d8id.jpg

On top of that, at the molecular level, all metals are cryogenically treated. So, with all of that said, I don't believe it's the gauge that matters with these PC's. It's every thought and the design philosophy's that were put into the Snake River PC's to begin with. THAT's what makes the real difference. It's that difference that I would love for you to hear with your own ears. Jonny, the owner of Snake River Audio is willing to entertain the thought of actually making this happen for Club Polk members in good standing.

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    It appears to me they aren't using solid gold wire. Rather, the copper wire is gold plated.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    One further note....

It doesn't really matter which cord y'all choose. The connectors will be the same. This just boils down to what you would "prefer" to use in your own system.

Tom
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Snake River Power cord for Components?
    My only limitation would be if the cable is too large. Where my rig is has to make quite an "S" bend right after the wall socket and then again into the back of the amp. If it's long enough I could make a smoother bend.

Just food for thought in case others hadn't thought about it. If whatever the majority choose doesn't work for me that's fine.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    Options
    This should give you an indication of how they bend. This is "pretty much" how they are shipped...

sy2n8pjo3g80.png

This is a shot I took a while back on the PC that goes into the Lumin. The support isn't needed, I just put it there to help support the nearly 3' drop to the plug. FWIW.

lyzp3fhwbr51.png

Tom

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Very nice
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It appears to me they aren't using solid gold wire. Rather, the copper wire is gold plated.

Hmmm, you are digging deeper than I did. All I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears. With that said....

I actually called Jonny about this one. He is getting ready to sit down and enjoy dinner at the moment. I relayed to him to take his time in getting back to me (us). Family time is important, especially as we are approaching the holidays.

I just sat down to listen to the rig myself and forget about my new PIA client (OMG, words can NOT describe) So, if I don't respond tonight? Rest assured, I am listening to what I have been talking about for some time.

Time for some Big Daddy Wilson! Walk a mile in my shoes....

Tom

• treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    All, I spoke to Jonny for almost 2 hours tonight about Jesse's comments (Along with other things). He is correct and this is not a secret.

Admittedly, I tried to simplify the metallurgy based upon the Snake River Audio website. I was incorrect in my simplification. This was MY interpretation, not theirs. Let the record reflect that. The facts are...

80 microinches of 24k pure gold plating on top of pure red copper is what they use.

Tom.
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »

10-12 gauge on the "Amp Series", 12-14 gauge on standard. Also, the silver strands are 99.99999 pure silver throughout, NOT silver plated like most audiophile companies.

One other aspect? They are made in the USA. 😉

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Considering that the surface is the most vital as that is where the actual current is traversing, a great conductor over another great conductor should provide ample quality signal path.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Considering that the surface is the most vital as that is where the actual current is traversing, a great conductor over another great conductor should provide ample quality signal path.

While I do agree, Gold is less conductive than copper. To me it seems silver over the copper would be the better of the two.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    I’m game
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I’m game
    Would like to compare to what I have and get an idea
    Silver and gold? Sweet
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    Considering I run mono block amps, one cable won’t work..
  • treitz3
    Options
    You can still run an amp Series PC on one of your sources or Pre-amplifier. Just because it's an Amp Series PC (if that's what it ends up being), does not mean that this isn't something that you can't use.

As mentioned before, the connections will be the same.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I think one of their entry level models would do, it would give us a chance to check out the build quality, fitment and overall performance.

Count me in.

Here is the thing. There are no, "entry" level cables when it comes to Snake River cables. There is no deception, no tiers. Just a quality product that offers differing metallurgies, for your listening pleasure.

Ivan, while what may make sense from a conductive standpoint? The end result that hits your ears is an eye (ear) opener. Jonny definitely knows what he is doing. He is truly a master at his craft.

I started with his offerings available to the public. What he has done beyond that is simply nothing short of incredible to the end result. I could not be more pleased.

There are theories, their are measurements, and then there is an, "artistry" to what can be. He has never heard my system. He has no clue what my system is capable of. Yet, when I asked of him what I wanted my system to go? He nailed it on the first try.

Please excuse my, "French"....the man knows his chit!

Tom
  • F1nut
    Options
    Here is the thing. There are no, "entry" level cables when it comes to Snake River cables. There is no deception, no tiers.

Tiers

Entry
    For our Cottonmouth Gold series of cables, we only use pure 24k gold, overlaid a minimum of 80 microinches onto pure oxygen-free, high-density red copper.

Premium
    Our Signature Series of products use a hybrid recipe of ALL THREE metals. Pure gold [plating], pure silver, and pure red copper.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    Look at the cost.

Tom
  • F1nut
    edited November 2023
    Options
    $1275 and $1545, so $270 more for the added silver wire. I suppose one could look at the Signature version as a bargain. Regardless, it's still 2 tiers.

Edit: I'm going to add that implying there is pure gold wire by not stating it is pure gold plating on the copper wire for the Signature version strikes me as deception.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    That is incorrect, though. It's not two tiers, it's two completely different power cords, each utilizing their own blend of differing metallurgies. Neither one is considered an entry level PC. Neither of the two PC's sound alike either.

Tom
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oy vey

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I think what Tom is trying to say is all the **** is awesome but he offers different series which sounds different and utilize different metals etc etc

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    All I know is I’m in

This will go into a classe delta stereo amp
  • treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Well, now that Thanksgiving has passed us by and I am no longer swamped with family obligations? Back to the grind.

Jesse, I simply don't think it's a tiered system, it's more that different systems fit better with different recipes. Think of this...

If you go to an Italian restaurant, you can order Shrimp Scampi or Spaghetti Al Carbonara - they are both meals, not on different 'tiers'. They are just different recipes with different ingredients that cost differently. In the case of these power cords, it's the same thing. Differing recipes/ingredients yield differing prices.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay folks. The fat lady hasn't sang quite yet on this but it is now official.

There WILL be a demo program here at Club Polk for the Snake River Power cords!!! That's right. Some of you may have picked up that I stated that in the plural sense. Jonny has been following the results of this poll, as it has marched on and he has decided to offer up not one but two power cords up for the demo program.

One "AMP Series" cord will be 3 meters long (leftover from the recent CAF event). The other one will be a component power cord. The other is a 2 meter component PC. Both of them will be the Hybrid Signature Series.

Larry, we may have something special lined up for you. You are running dual mono block amps. I'll get up with you privately about your situation. We may have come up with a solution for you.

Here is what I need from all of you that are interested in the demo program;

Full legal name
    Moniker
    Valid and current email address
    Phone number
    Emergency contact (preferably someone that lives at your home)
    Shipping address
    Please include which PC you voted for/requested for demo in your PM

Please PM me with all of this information (None of it will be released to the public).

The demo time each person will have will be for a period of two weeks. At the end of your demo period, you must ship the cables (pack them carefully and well protected, so they are not damaged in any way) INSURED to the next person on the list. The list will be created when I get everyone's information in.

You will be required, as is tradition with demo programs, to offer your review of said cable on a dedicated thread that is nothing but reviews and discussion(s) about said cables. To make this easier for you, you may want to jot down notes of initial impressions and what they are being compared too, what locations and equipment they were plugged into/evaluated on and how they sounded on certain tracks, albums or even a general observation.

Only members in good standing will be accepted into the demo program and a minimum of posts/trustworthiness/reputation will all play into whether or not you qualify to be admitted into the demo program. That determination will come from the "old guard" of the forum, as well as myself.

If anyone simply cannot live without the cable(s) after listening to them, they will have the opportunity to keep them (provided they are promptly paid for). If that does happen, a delay of two weeks will happen, as a new custom cable will have to be made, burnt in and shipped.

I am probably missing something, as a demo program hasn't been done in a while, so I reserve the right to change the rules/qualifications at any time moving forward.

A novel is not necessary but your observations (good or bad) do need to be posted.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I would start a new thread to officially start the program
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.