The EV Hate Thread

Options
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    You do not even want to know how much it costs to change out a damaged bumper on the Rivan RT1 truck....that cost above is just about half of a Rivan RT1 bumper.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    Options
    EV's, the ultimate fail.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You do not even want to know how much it costs to change out a damaged bumper on the Rivan RT1 truck....that cost above is just about half of a Rivan RT1 bumper.

What's so special about the bumper? Surely the batteries are not an integral part of it
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

What's so special about the bumper? Surely the batteries are not an integral part of it

All the electronics built in and the way they designed the skin panels. It's a 40k+ endeavor. Trust me I work for an insurance company, I talk to the claims folks daily and have seen what should be a minor fix causing the vehicle to be totaled out because of cost.

There was actually a article on the MSM about the very bumber factor and the Rivan design. CRAZY expensive.

Here you go.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivian-r1t-fender-bender-turns-into-42000-repair-bill
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    The bean counters and the engineering dept should be communicating a little better
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    Options
    That's not just ridiculous, it's criminal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    EV's, the ultimate fail.

"Let's pump out a type of vehicle that solely relies on a flawed technology we're actively working on replacing"
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    edited October 2023
    Options
    So, if both ends get hit slightly tapped, it’s totaled?

Edit: I guess you basically said “Yep!” @pitdogg2.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,480
    Options
    But it doesn't "Pinto"?
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Ford cutting F-150 Lightning factory shift is 'emblematic' of changing EV demand

Ford (F) confirmed that it has temporarily cut a shift at its F-150 Lightning electric pickup plant in Detroit, possibly signaling demand is drying up for the highly rated EV.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-cutting-f-150-lightning-factory-shift-is-emblematic-of-changing-ev-demand-153949506.html
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Options
    Shocking (groan)
    I disabled signatures.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,004
    Options
    Nothing but a total scam the entire EV movement.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited October 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    But it doesn't "Pinto"?

Oh. Even worse.
    Gasoline fires don't last very long. Lithium ion battery fires are the gift that keep on giving.

fmqtrsfar38w.png

h75xuouldmws.png
    msg wrote: »
    Shocking (groan)

Dad.
    Joke.

uw88qcs9umd6.gif

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    All cars are getting bad. I watched a video of a newer Cadillac that was sold at auction.
    A minor front end hit and the dealership couldn't get it running. It was a combo of a front
    bumper assembly with the wrong sensors and the seat belt pretensions that was locked
    up after the crash. The electronics are getting too complex for most techs to figure out.
    And electrical fires seem to be common on all cars.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2023
    Options
    So -- speaking of EVs and sensors and technology and such... a sort-of funny story.
    Our son-in-law's father bought a two motor (AWD) Tesla 3 several years ago. Two-ish years ago, he, his son, and I spent a couple of hours one lovely Sunday installing a trailer hitch on it. The hitch was installed to use with a bike carrier rack.
    We followed instructions on a YT video. It's a nontrivial procedure in that the rear bumper fascia needs to be removed. The rear bumper fascia (or cover, perhaps more accurately?) is festooned with sensors, all of which had to be disconnected.
    It wasn't difficult, but it was a fair amount of work. When the hitch was installed (which was the easiest part), re-installing the bumper cover was a bit white-knuckles, but we (a lawyer, a biochemist, and a physician/engineer/astronaut with at least six college degrees between us ;) ) managed to do it, with no parts left over and no damage to the car or to ourselves.
    Now, here's the funny part. While I am sure the Tesla was phoning home every gruesome detail of our efforts ("My mind is going, Elon... I can feel it..."), when put together and re-started, the Tesla 1) worked and 2) emitted nary a whimper. No error messages, no loss of any settings or presets... the car acted as if nothing ever happened to it.
    THAT I didn't expect!
    As an aside, the Tesla 3 now belongs to our son-in-law & daughter. His folks recently got a new Tesla Y.
    I got to drive the Tesla 3 for the better part of a day a few weeks back, mostly ferrying the grandchildren around as our son-in-law and I prosecuted a bevy of chores. It was a completely and thoroughly pleasant experience. Other than the phenomenal acceleration, and the regenerative braking (which, at the setting they use essentially requires little or no use of the brake pedal), it's a perfectly ordinary car to drive (in the Toyota sense of the word). Pleasant and comfortable, quiet and trustworthy.
    I could absolutely live with one -- although I like the idea of a plug-in hybrid much better (despite the far more complex drivetrain compared to an EV).

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    Options
    Green bean battery offers a replacement battery for my prius with a unlimited mile, lifetime warranty for $2500 installed!

I don't believe the battery on an EV cost that little... Until they do it would be hard for me to consider a vehicle where the battery cost 20k.

I have drove a tesla once and the acceleration is phenomenal for sure!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I've gotten rides in teslas and they're very nice cars. The battery technology just isn't there yet.

Solid state batteries? ICE cars will have no means of competition. The world is gonna go 'green' (whatever that means) and it's bound to happen in the next decade.

For God's sake, even at my house we use electric tools (string trimmer, pole saw, edger, power drill, etc etc) with the exception of the lawn tractor and chainsaws which we don't have an excuse to replace. They will be replaced with electric ones eventually.

But in their current state, electric cars aren't like an electric pole saw. Electric pole saws are more powerful, safer, and convenient than one that's gas powered and equivalent in price (up to a certain point, then gas is better). Electric cars are more expensive and less convenient, along with being more dangerous. They're also controlled by the company who makes them so do you really own them?

You'll own nothing and be happy! Elon must have this on his wall.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My brother in-law was just hit head on by a Tesla, brand new car with a drunk driver behind the wheel who I'm just guessing had it in auto mode. Luck has it, he only suffered a fractured foot and bruising from the airbags.

Always considered EV's a niche market, they have a certain allure under certain cicumstances but never enough for prime time take over of gas cars/trucks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    Right, I can see them useful for trips within the city. But you won't catch me sitting at a charging station for 30mins + when going out of town. I want my gas station and fill up in under 5 mins. I can see our family getting a hybrid or two in the future but not full on E.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Superchargers are also $0.25/kWh. Wait until that price goes up once Elon realizes how much money he'd make off of Tesla owners.

I do wonder. How long would it take to break even on an EV 'investment'.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    The cost to charge at public chargers makes it about the same as gas costs.
    In Europe, the higher cost of power makes ev more expensive to drive than gas.
    Tennessee charges an extra fee to register that covers the lost gas tax revenue.
    Wait until disposal fees kick in. Some batteries cost more to recover the metals
    than mining them new. Others can't be recycled, so someone needs to pay to
    make them safe to dispose of. So expect junking an ev to to cost you some $$$.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Just like internal combustion vehicles the charging stations need to also charge a road fee tax with each charge that would correspond to the same per gallon tax ICE vehicles get charged.
    Plain and simple
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Pay more for the car, more for repairs, more for refueling (most refuels are done at home), and in the end you have nothing but an empty wallet and dissatisfaction.

But hey, maintenance is less!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Eventually the tax for roads will be collected by electric utilities, and not just the people driving EV's will pay, but all of us will pay.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ... So expect junking an ev to to cost you some $$$.

Perhaps more folks will adopt this guy's Green Mountain Boy's strategy. :#

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/michael-gonzalez-prison-tesla-fraud/45522284#
    Gonzalez also drove one of the Teslas onto the frozen surface of Lake Champlain in February 2019 and lit it on fire in an attempt to collect the insurance money on the vehicle, prosecutors said.

a59rb35izuv3.png
    source: https://electrek.co/2023/10/12/man-who-swindled-5-free-cars-tesla-gets-4-years-sentence/

B)

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Our dead brained CA Governor that is pushing so hard to ban everything gas and go all electric told all those with EV's over this past summer not charge their cars due to the stress on the grid, it can't handle it. I cannot make this **** up.

Just wait until all the vehicles are EV, whole neighborhoods will be dark.

That is by design, the powers that be want us all to ride bikes
  • msg
    Options
    E-Bikes?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    I saw a headline today or yesterday, or maybe it was 2 weeks from now, that said China is halting or limiting export of EV battery raw material. Grossly paraphrasing, but you get the idea. Coulda been linked to The Onion for all I know.

I do what I can to conserve and be kind to the environment, but I like my gas powered stuff, and am not interested in switching to electric vehicles or even battery powered yard tools. Love my Makita battery drill/driver, though.

I saw a bit on The Weather Channel that was talking about how due to lack of infrastructure, people with EVs were using quick-charge options at charging stations, and the amount of power at the various charge rates amounted to tens or hundreds of homes' daily power consumption - for a single charge.
    I disabled signatures.