Must try MOD - Foam inside the stamped steel baskets - YES!

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Bump for @ChrisD06
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    Thanks, @xschop
    Very interesting mod... I assume this adds to the dynamat vibration damping ?
  • xschop
    Options
    It adds a small amount of extra vibration damping, but is specifically for rear cone reflection mitigation.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Add me to the list. So I pulled the MW's from my RTA-11TL's as I had been meaning to JB Weld the magnets. I also had been meaning to remove some of the Sonic Barrier that I had put behind the MW's, making it 4"x4" squares. Then I recalled this mod and I happen to have some appropriate foam to use. I only placed it on the insides of the spokes and not the top or bottom edges. I also put a little on the tabs that stick down into the opening just for completeness. I was careful not to have the foam touch the spider or the rubber surround when the cone is moved through its path. Does it make a difference, probably but had to say with the other mods that I did. Bottom line, vocals sound better now than before I pulled the drivers out.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • xschop
    Options
    Another F1 B-lister. Welcome aboard.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

You must have missed the fact he removed an amount of BH5, which will make a HUGE difference compared to your hack idea.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    I wonder. Since I can't put BH5 in my M5JR+ because of the crossover being behind the midwoofer, could I use this armacell mod to kinda substitute the BH5? It obviously won't be as effective but would it work enough?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    I wonder. Since I can't put BH5 in my M5JR+ because of the crossover being behind the midwoofer, could I use this armacell mod to kinda substitute the BH5? It obviously won't be as effective but would it work enough?

The BH5 only works on reflections that have exited the basket and standing waves within the enclosure. If you read through this thread you will grock that the armacell inside the basket works on reflections that probably would have never even left the basket but would most certainly reflect back through the cone as distortion.

I'm not sure who you are asking but I would just give the same advice that I gave you before; ask people who have done it, not people who haven't done it and haven't heard it.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

The BH5 only works on reflections that have exited the basket and standing waves within the enclosure. If you read through this thread you will grock that the armacell inside the basket works on reflections that probably would have never even left the basket but would most certainly reflect back through the cone as distortion.

I'm not sure who you are asking but I would just give the same advice that I gave you before; ask people who have done it, not people who haven't done it and haven't heard it.

I was just asking out in the open for any sort of input from anyone. I might give it a try, just need to grab some armacell or some open cell foam to put in there.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I wonder if BH5 in 2x4 strips on the side walls would be effective in the jr?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I wonder if BH5 in 2x4 strips on the side walls would be effective in the jr?

No clue, would rather not do any experimental stuff and just go with stuff that's been tried and written in stone.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    ^ Totally agree and understand but, that’s how the tried & true mods came to be… trial and error.

I’m still so considering this.
    Only thing my brain is keeping me from trying this is the 16 friggin MW’s 😬
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    ^ Totally agree and understand but, that’s how the tried & true mods came to be… trial and error.

Excellent point! The only issue would be how much foam I'd add. BH5 is pretty known, 3x3, 4x4, etc, and with this armacell mod you line the inside of the basket with it. But with adding it to the sides... what size should each sheet be? Trial and error would be really tedious...
  • xschop
    edited July 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

You must have missed the fact he removed an amount of BH5, which will make a HUGE difference compared to your hack idea.

You missed the fact that this inner-frame modification has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the BH5 modification.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,612
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I believe the point is he did that and removed BH5 at the same time and has no idea if the foam made a difference or not.
    skrol wrote: »
    … Does it make a difference, probably but had [hard] to say with the other mods that I did...

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    The idea of reflections off the spokes of the basket kind of makes sense since we know there is reflection off the back wall of the cabinet. Even though I applied the foam to the spokes of the basket, I question if there is enough material there to really absorb the reflection very much. It is of no harm if it isn't interfering with the cone or spider movement, low (or no) cost and, as they say, everything matters. Removing the excess Sonic Barrier (BH5) likely did far more to improve the speaker over the way I had it.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    When I first tried this mod on my old 12's I had listened for months with my speakers unchanged, using 1&1/4 Sonic Barrier to completely damp the outer drivers (the successful westmassguy comb filtering mod):

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173834/westmassguys-idea-employing-damping-to-mitigate-comb-filtering-and-lobing)

and a 4x4 piece behind the inner drivers (along with uncompressed polyfill behind both drivers). To my ears damping materials like Sonic Barrier and BH5 mitigate midrange "shoutiness", loss of composure at higher volume levels, and generally clean up what sounds like backwave slapping around inside the cabinet. The stuff is so effective that I can now casually hear the frequency difference between the two drivers (the idea behind the westmassguy mod). Gardenstater's driver basket mod is a different animal that removes "smear", and brings clarity - most noticeably with vocals. I have noticed it takes a bit more juice to reach the same loudness the speakers produced pre-mod. After several months I reduced to a 3x3 inch piece of Sonic Barrier and found that to be the best combo. I haven't noticed any reduction of bass, or loss of liveliness, but I also can't measure anything. My rig and room produce a lot of bass and I would trade some of it to keep the foam mod clarity. That said, my speakers are old, with a somewhat flawed design, so YMMV.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    The idea of reflections off the spokes of the basket kind of makes sense since we know there is reflection off the back wall of the cabinet. Even though I applied the foam to the spokes of the basket, I question if there is enough material there to really absorb the reflection very much. It is of no harm if it isn't interfering with the cone or spider movement, low (or no) cost and, as they say, everything matters. Removing the excess Sonic Barrier (BH5) likely did far more to improve the speaker over the way I had it.

I did it by itself with lots of ingrained aural memory of how my speakers sounded prior, ie. lots of time since the previous mod which I believe was a 6" x 6" square of BH5. Eva Cassady was the first listen and her vocals were cleaned up and I realized that "Live at Blues Alley" had lots cleaner reverb and it was clear that I was listening to somewhat distorted reverb prior. Further listening revealed that vocals that were very low level like background vocals often tend to be, became more discernible, as well as being able to decipher words to songs that I had been unable to, previously. Also, multiple singers and instruments were more separated and distinct. Very pleasurable.

You might go back in and do the area near the spider, between the spokes. Pretty significant amount of reflective area there.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    Clarity relative to understanding lyrics, distinguishing instruments etc. reduces listener fatigue.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Try covering some aluminum flashing with some Armacell on one side and speak at it with a high tone of voice. Now flip it around and do the same thing. I hear a subtle difference. With two layers of Armacell still subtle but slightly more of a difference. It is more pronounced when you hold the flashing at an angle to a wall and do the test that way. In the speaker basket there are reflections back at the cone and there could also be transmissions through the steel that could have an audible effect as well. If they did not have an audible effect, then the constrained layer dampening material (Dynamat and others) wouldn't be audible. Also, I know you know this but have to point out that changing two variables at once and drawing a conclusion that what you hear is due to only one of them is a definite no no in science and engineering :)

Edit - how would the following experiment go if the 2nd tuning fork were covered with Armacell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCocQa2Bcuc
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Very interesting
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • xschop
    Options
    This is why you should also butyl-mat your drivers that have the magnetic shielding shroud attached to the magnet as well. It is just a ringing bell hanging off the back.

• xschop
    Options
    Bump for @inanortherntown.
    Inexpensive yet very effective modification. Should be a sticky here.
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    edited February 26
    Options
    Wonder how great an MW would sound modified to look like an early KLH woofer??
    Very minimal reflections!

• xschop
    Options
    It would also increase the speed of the cone during lower frequencies, no?
  • inanortherntown
    Options
    Bump for @inanortherntown.
    Inexpensive yet very effective modification. Should be a sticky here.

Thanks much! Will take a look

-Tony
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    It would also increase the speed of the cone during lower frequencies, no?

It would allow the cone to follow the sound wave more effectively, decreasing distortion.
    The reduction in back wave reflection would be helpful!
    A good fabricator could make a large ring to hold the surround, 4 stilts, and a small ring to hold the magnet assy.
    It would be a great experiment.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Interesting…

One of the higher-end tire manufacturers, attempting to attenuate ~200hz road noise using a similar execution of foam on the interior
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Options
    Not against fun experimenting, but have to wonder, if this was a thing, would someone else not have know about it by now, I mean we have Kippel measurements for years, and not a single speaker manufacturer has ever employed this "Mod".......

• Gardenstater
    edited March 3
    Options
    Do you know what everyone on the planet "knows" LOL?

Ask ya another question.......does CLD ie. Dynamat etc. on the basket work to clean up the detrimental effect of vibrations upon the clarity of the driver? Why didn't and don't you see manufacturers doing that?

Manufacturers have largely solved both of these problems another way, by going with cast baskets with minimal spoke area and ventilated designs behind the spiders.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS