Must try MOD - Foam inside the stamped steel baskets - YES!

Options
15678911»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Manufacturers have largely solved both of these problems another way, by going with cast baskets with minimal spoke area and ventilated designs behind the spiders.

A cast basket does solve the ringing issue of a stamped steel basket, but so does Dynamat Xtreme.

The minimal spoke area of a cast basket does not absorb sound waves like adding pieces of foam inside a stamped steel basket.

The purpose of ventilated spiders is to increase power handling, it's got nothing to do with anything else.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    So why doesn't Polk send a sheet of DynaMat extreme with every Legend speaker?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    So why doesn't Polk send a sheet of DynaMat extreme with every Legend speaker?

Silly question back at ya. Why doesn't Polk send a sheet of foam to line the inside of the basket with every Legend speaker?

sf6m5ysnrbzv.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    That was my rhetorical question.

But I'll answer both: It is because of price point and the target customer.
  • xschop
    Options
    When Polk starts building a driver that doesn't require Dynamat or foam inside the frame, I'll be a customer.

yibdqp2gdt3p.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited March 4
    Options
    Here's a good picture of a driver designed for minimum back wave reflections that would reflect back at the cone, including back wave that transmits through the spider:

bi62rszb8svp.jpg
    4f2w7qak3xvo.jpg

Polk stamped steel MW driver with spider cutaway (photo by forum member I forget the name of sorry). How much projected area for reflection is presented to the backwave here?

no4uy2059x7r.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    Started foaming another set of B&O drivers this weekend...

92btmesgw2sl.jpg
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Note green felt to absorb back wave directly in front of the magnet. The rest goes into the enclosure.

Imagine an MW65xx designed like this.

tq0z63ust568.png

• Gardenstater
    Options
    odcics2 wrote: »
    Note green felt to absorb back wave directly in front of the magnet. The rest goes into the enclosure.

Imagine an MW65xx designed like this.

tq0z63ust568.png

That's totally the Vandersteen Midrange design in the patent. Backwave from the cabinet "possibly" becomes a major problem in a 2 way with passive radiator design because you might be limited in how much damping materials you can apply to the cabinet, but I wouldn't use BH5 because it may load, I would use No-Rez and you would have to experiment.

That design is really for a 3 way speaker design where this midrange unit would be in an isolated chamber with damping material I think.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • odcics2
    Options
    That’s why I said imagine.

It would be designed as a 6.5” mid woofer for a Polk Monitor 5, 7 or 10, for example.
  • xschop
    Options
    Imagine no foam or Dynamat frames.
  • odcics2
    Options
    The magnet and surrounding area is much larger than the outer basket with the 4 holes. Foam helps, but there is a lot or room for improvement left on the table.
    mq9pa1l9mhuo.jpeg

• Gardenstater
    edited March 6
    Options
    ^^When the magnet assembly and dust cap has been removed, a spud can be used to pull the voice coil up just out of the way and you can add some foam to that recessed area, attached with power grab or the like. Rob @xschop did it and released one into the wild, never to report back home *sniff* lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 21
    Options
    odcics2 wrote: »
    That’s why I said imagine.

It would be designed as a 6.5” mid woofer for a Polk Monitor 5, 7 or 10, for example.

I've been eyeing a 6.5" cast basket with spider reliefs (only insert foam here) and open spokes. The factory base plate would simply have to be tapped for it's 60mm PCD and the flange OD turned down (6.650") to drop right in a Monitor cabinet...

ia3kkl377pxa.png

tim3pxfuesr5.jpg

Post edited by xschop on
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 21
    Options
    Very cool find! It looks like the basket depth is 15.5 + 35.5 mm = 51mm = 2.008" vs (hard to measure) around 1.65" on the Polk basket, based upon my 1983 MW6500 which I just eyeballed. Surround diameter is 158mm = 6.22" and I roughly measure 6.1" on my Polk which is not super far off.

Could be a problem unless the voice coil were reset?

I didn't check the relevant spider dimensions yet.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 21
    Options
    On my donor basket (sent from @MrGeology) I got 1.65" also. The 26mm Dia. replacement coils are a little longer than factory ones anyway (35-40mm long), which will make up for the extra depth. Provides more coil cooling too with the open spider design. B)

psvg4l3f2gmj.png

You could drop in either a 4" (Polk) to 4.5" Dia. spider and fix that worn/sag issue (6500,6503,6510,6511)

Just need to hunt down a pre-assembled 6.5 paper recone kit and save a bunch of time.
    Post edited by xschop on
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    The 35.5mm = 1.398" isn't that far off from what I measure on my Polk MW6500 for the surround mount to the spider mount surface of 1.334". Could just use a 1/16" spacer if you even needed to do anything at all.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 21
    Options
    I've got 36mm on this one. Then again, this is the thin gauge one I dissected.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    This is very interesting…..
  • odcics2
    Options
    The soul of a Monitor 7.
    Excerpt from the Polk brochure.
    nu6pgyuhqlg0.jpeg
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Great find. Good marketing blurb. I ate that stuff up when I was younger. The Bose marketing verbiage was great of that vintage, too.

I try to remind myself (especially when talking to grandparents about the good ol' days, or with people under 30 about why James Bond was such a sleaze): Consider all things in the context of their time and place.

Those midwoofers? They were so superior to Bose it was no comparison, but Bose marketing won me over in High School.

I have no doubt this design rang less than the majority of its market contemporaries (and other consumer designs of years' past them). But, as time goes on, and equipment improves, you look back on that state-of-the-art, say... 1989 Super Coupe or 1991 3000GT VR-4... and they could use some updates =)

I enjoy my 6xxx-equipped models every day. But I wouldn't if Polk hadn't worked to bring the level of sound value down to the price they did.

I'd still like to see a no-holds-barred new Monitor 7, even though they missed the 50th anniversary of the company boat.

When did the 7 hit the market? Maybe the 50th of the speaker that defined the company? Did it hit in 74?

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 24
    Options
    Great find. Good marketing blurb. I ate that stuff up when I was younger. The Bose marketing verbiage was great of that vintage, too.

I'd still like to see a no-holds-barred new Monitor 7, even though they missed the 50th anniversary of the company boat.

When did the 7 hit the market? Maybe the 50th of the speaker that defined the company? Did it hit in 74?

It would be awesome if they did an updated modern but still retro appealing version.

They were trying to sell a very early version of the 7 when they were in the Gallagher Mansion, in late 1973. I have yet to see one of them on eBay and I wonder how many (if any) they actually sold.

2t17yubd8rsd.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 25
    Options
    They'd come with the new certified 3x3" BH5 :D

n9qsoqaxwrb0.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    The new 3 x 3 standard is very economical for today's times.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 25
    Options
    Shrinkflation is real. :D

In other news, did a test run. I took a 3/8" wide wood chisel to an MW that had a torn surround and badly creased cone. About every 1/4 turn of the perimeter I put a drop of WD-40 on the chisel ramp. The old surround came off clean without tearing. At this point I can either re-cone (thinking Carbon Fiber) and keep the factory basket, or move forward and cut the spider carefully and order the cast baskets. Still haven't found a 6.5" paper re-cone kit with the spider and voice coil attached.
  • odcics2
    Options
    Using the original proprietary built cone, spider, surround and magnet assy is the way to go, or it's no longer a Polk speaker, IMO.

• xschop
    Options
    I agree, but where to find a copy of the paper cone is the mystery. The surround I have all dimensions for, even it's rollover thickness.
  • odcics2
    Options
    Only way is to use a donor MW6500.
  • xschop
    Options
    And to make the magnet/pole-piece removable would be gold.
  • odcics2
    Options
    Maybe jig the magnet assy and basket by the surround. Remove the metal between them, back filling it in with 3-4 metal rods to get the support for the magnet assy back.
    You would end up with a minimal area to reflect sound.
    Just an idea to maintain the “Polk” integrity.