What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Damn. I must be a bass trap then.

Tom

Bass Ale maybe...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Damn. I must be a bass trap then.

Tom

Maybe more of a BS trap..... :#:D
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Probably the only thing it’s good for is some laughs from you guys! 😂👍

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It's a big old a$$ trap. Once you sit in it you can't gracefully get back up.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    edited June 2023
    Options
    For my Micro Seiki MA-505L tonearm, I got this AST-05 stabilizing nut. The stock nut is on the right...quite a difference.

nwadngz6cym6.jpg
    These nuts screw onto the bottom of the tonearm pillar, under the arm board. It is clear how much more substantial the AST-05 nut is than stock.

Similar stabilizing nuts exist for other tonearms. Except for suspended sub-chassis turntable designs, these bigger nuts make a lot of sense. I'm using mine on a Micro Seiki BL-91L turntable, which has a one-piece, solid plinth.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    So, when I got my turntable and figured out the cue lever was sticky, I watched a video on YouTube about how to fix the problem. The guy on the video took the entire arm apart desoldering the cables from the main board and everything. I immediately decided it was not a job I could do because, if you know about the mockery I made of my SDA-SRS upgrades, you know my soldering skills are pathetic.

Anyway, last week as I was watching other videos on YouTube, that video came on again, and there was a throw away line in the dialogue where he mentioned that he normally fixes this problem with the tone arm still attached. So, I started looking at mine, contacted Sumiko to get a new cue arm, and in 10 mins, I had it fixed and readjusted.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I believe Jelco made tonearms for Sumiko. You can normally remove the cue platform, and then the piston itself without dismantling the entire arm. It's typically a matter of stripping and replacing the very thick silicon oil, although getting the correct weight of oil can be a challenge...trial and error.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    That’s what I did.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I believe Jelco made tonearms for Sumiko. You can normally remove the cue platform, and then the piston itself without dismantling the entire arm. It's typically a matter of stripping and replacing the very thick silicon oil, although getting the correct weight of oil can be a challenge...trial and error.

5c6t7nbbo9se.jpg

I ordered this through Amazon and it worked great for my SME3009 cueing piston.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    Options
    Added a new Eversolo Streamer....

jqp73siepad5.jpeg
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    Options
    I recently shipped an ADS C2000 crossover out for repair and it came back last week. I took the Dunlavy SC-IIIs out of service and put the ADS L1530s back in. I'm currently bi-amping them with a 200wpc Soundstream SS amp on the bottoms and a 60 wpc VTA ST-120 tube amp on the mids and highs.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Today I moved my gear from between the speakers,to the left wall next to my listening chair. I’ve been wanting to do this for,well, a very long time. I always felt my system threw a great soundstage, but this absolutely took it to he next level. Voices now truly sound like the vocalist is literally standing right in front of me. I knew from all the reading I have done over the years,that moving the gear out of there would make a difference. I’m shocked at how much it matters. The best 2 hours I’ve ever spent.
    pov4hctduwor.jpeg
    coe00mbkt0j2.jpeg
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Good move! It’s worth the extra length of interconnects or speaker cables.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    maxward wrote: »

Longer interconnects in this case. I will eventually replace the old Wireworld cables I’m currently using.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Upgrade time, if you can wing it. It's a buyer's market right now, so make the most of it.

That said, speaker placement is extremely underrated.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »

Longer interconnects in this case. I will eventually replace the old Wireworld cables I’m currently using.

Soundstaging was the one thing I felt Wireworld cables upgraded, and in no small way.

What version do you currently have?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Soundstaging was the one thing I felt Wireworld cables upgraded, and in no small way.

I picked these up off of flea bay a couple years back. Audio Vision, according to my purchase history. I’m sure they aren’t the final word in detail,but they suffice for the time being. They are 6 meters,and pick up no interference. I’ve had much shorter cables pick up radio stations.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

I picked these up off of flea bay a couple years back. Audio Vision, according to my purchase history. I’m sure they aren’t the final word in detail,but they suffice for the time being. They are 6 meters,and pick up no interference. I’ve had much shorter cables pick up radio stations.

I know @erniejade had higher end Wireworld cables than the ones I tried (Oasis 8). Going from memory, I believe he opined that Equinox is where they start to get good. That was too rich for my blood for wire.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
    New PSVANE Reference 845T tubes for my Antique Sound Labs mono blocks.

udirx5uigvza.jpg
  • treitz3
    Options
    You get those when you stopped by Josh's the other day?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    You get those when you stopped by Josh's the other day?

Tom

Yes, got to spend a nice afternoon with Joshua spinning vinyl and talking audio.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Can't ask for more than that. He's a great guy to hang around with and he has great taste in music. I'm planning on a couple of extra days when I'm down that way next year to do just that.

Tom
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Nelson Pass Amp Camp Redux kit

xe49vmvskq29.jpg
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Completed build

i6lfcv1hua2x.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Unusual looking heat sinks. Is there a schematic you could share?
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    the circuit is from Nelson Pass 1.6 build. Here is the schematic. A couple of changes from the black box build are the round pin heat sink build uses 2SK370 and IRFP048.

bnrn6if1thnj.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Any idea why the positive output terminal is tied to ground?