What SRT speaker is this in this old ad?

Options
Right above the control box there. Anyone know what speaker this is? It's not the center, front, sub, or dipole/bipole. What is it? I've never seen it around and I'm considering saving up and buying an SRT system, curious what speaker that is as I cannot find it online AT ALL.

0j6v0sqzs8wz.jpg

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It was a Surround speaker. I don't know the actual model number.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    As Mantis correctly stated it is a surround speaker. It was an option instead of using the full size version.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @ESavinon may be able to provide model number.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    Options
    The model is the LS f/x.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I found the sale ad noted above. The seller does not have actual photos of the speakers and states, "around 20~ sets in existence". It's not clear if they are stating 20 still in existence or if they mean 20 sets ever sold. Regardless, I seem to recall somewhere between 75 to 100 sets were sold and of those sets there were different configurations.

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    @F1nut @mantis I tried to search up the LS f/x but all photos show a surround speaker similar to the SRT bipole/dipole. I can't find the dual tweeter quad woofer anywhere! Exact model number would be great if you two know it.

Would love to have those for my home theater along with the SRT fronts, hell, even if I could match it to my RT3000p.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    edited May 2023
    Options
    The last optional version of the SRT System came with two rear channel speakers that provided SDA capability. It also included two SRT controllers to provide SDA signals to these speakers.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Pages 15-17 show five SRT configurations, they don't specifically ID individual speaker model numbers.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Ed probably knows, but to the best of my knowledge they were still called the LS f/x.

Edit: I see what I called the LS f/x is called the SRT f/x in the pdf link.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @SeleniumFalcon That's exactly what they are, gotta be it. I was thinking that too, first thought was "looks like SDA capable rear surrounds".

I'll see if the wayback machine has any info, they just look like pure awesomeness.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Those are the holy grail SDA SRT Surrounds. They are bipole/dipole switchwable. They require an SRT controller. 50-100 pairs were made. They were part of the last batch made. I have 1 set.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @ESavinon Thank you! Still can't even find a photo online. Would you mind sending a photo of your pair?They're quite gorgeous. Wonder how many still exist now.
  • ESavinon
    Options
    Sorry but they're in storage. I may have posted pictures in the forum at one time. With mine, I've only seen about 7 pairs.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @ESavinon Found one single photo of them online. They look f**king sick! Reminds me of those giant surrounds in the iMAX theatres. Would love to have 4 of those and some SRT fronts. If you ever decide to sell your let me know haha!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    If Ed only has one set that should tell you a thing or two. The man has traveled to the furthest reaches of the lower 48 chasing down SRT gear. If his bloodhound nose could only find one pair, I bid you good luck in your endeavor.
  • ESavinon
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The model is the LS f/x.

The Ls/Fx were the small dipole/bipole primarily used in the RT5000. Later they were used for the first batch of SRT. The second batch of SRT used the FX1000. The third and last batch used the SDA SRT.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @pitdogg2 Oh I doubt I'll ever be able to find a pair, but a little ambition never hurts. It's nice to have the closure of knowing what that speaker is called. I found the manual for it too! Will probably work on completing my absolutely balls-to-the-wall RT5000-based system and then try to find the SRT. Lord knows if there's a pair in Nova Scotia, let alone all of Canada.
  • ESavinon
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If Ed only has one set that should tell you a thing or two. The man has traveled to the furthest reaches of the lower 48 chasing down SRT gear. If his bloodhound nose could only find one pair, I bid you good luck in your endeavor.

I'm looking for an additional set. I came across a set near me but the seller wanted to sell the complete SRT set. The set was abused to hell but the surrounds were in good condition. He wanted too much for a system that went through hell. It was not worth the asking price.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    ut85zyfxnrbx.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ESavinon
    edited May 2023
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    @ESavinon Found one single photo of them online. They look f**king sick! Reminds me of those giant surrounds in the iMAX theatres. Would love to have 4 of those and some SRT fronts. If you ever decide to sell your let me know haha!

I have The SRT Seismic System. I may sell 4 complete sets and keep one with the SDA SRT surrounds.
    The four sets have the Ls/Fx or FX1000 surrounds.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    @pitdogg2 Oh I doubt I'll ever be able to find a pair, but a little ambition never hurts. It's nice to have the closure of knowing what that speaker is called. I found the manual for it too! Will probably work on completing my absolutely balls-to-the-wall RT5000-based system and then try to find the SRT. Lord knows if there's a pair in Nova Scotia, let alone all of Canada.

The SRT controllers are another unicorn to find.
  • ESavinon
    Options
    The late Al Ballard had a set with the SRT/SDA.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    Options

The SRT controllers are another unicorn to find.

I have an RT5000 system that needs a new home.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2023
    Options
    One of Ed's controllers from one of his infamous road trips. April 2009, he stopped by. Was it from Iowa????

cdbeqce29ime.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    ESavinon wrote: »
    The late Al Ballard had a set with the SRT/SDA.

Yes, he did. Matt also had them in the SRT bunker at HQ.

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    Well now that I know these are super rare, I have a bit of an idea...

Who said you couldn't build your own surround? Copy the cabinet and just get 4x 5-1/4" mid-woofers and 2x 1" tweeters.

Might be a fun project. Just need to build a crossover or find the schematic for the official one.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @VR3 Thank you! Might make this a summer project...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Unless I'm overlooking it none of those schematics show a 4 driver 2 tweeter SRT SDA rear surround speaker. There is schematics for a 4 driver no tweeter.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Srt series had separate crossovers for the stereo and dimensional arrays. The one that says srt rear across two files makes a whole.

Also keep in mind this would require the controller to work.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.