What SRT speaker is this in this old ad?

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Srt series had separate crossovers for the stereo and dimensional arrays. The one that says srt rear across two files makes a whole.

Also keep in mind this would require the controller to work.
    And it would require exact duplication of the cabinets and a host of other things. As far as I understand, those drivers are now unobtainium.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,617
    Options
    Srt series had separate crossovers for the stereo and dimensional arrays. The one that says srt rear across two files makes a whole.

Also keep in mind this would require the controller to work.

I was keeping in mind the controller. I peeked at those both, seeing no SL6501 in either. Plenty of MW5805 drivers. I did see one for the sat/stereo 4mw/ 1 SL.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    Options
    The sat stereo is the main.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    edited May 2023
    Options
    idiqmy5q4jqh.jpg
    When our powers combine we mane a 4 woofer 2 tweeter surround speaker
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    Did the SRT speaker system have that material on the fronts of all their speakers, I believe it was a dampening material. Then years later polk used the same exact material on the RT line which was the RT800 RT1000p RT2000P floor standing models. I think the Rt600 and Rt55's also used this material I just don't remember.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    idiqmy5q4jqh.jpg
    When our powers combine we mane a 4 woofer 2 tweeter surround speaker

Completely overlooked that one Trey.
    🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
  • gwood
    gwood Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the complete SRT System as shown above. The two rear surrounds have their own control system, and I have that as well.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    @gwood Pictures? Would love to see it
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    Same here…..
  • polkguy1994
    Options
    Those Speakers are SRT Rears, I am looking for a pair or two.
    I am looking for SRT Rears, seeking any information on the SRT history details to learn about this product!jjdas75rryoz.jpegw0n3asrf6chn.jpeg
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,056
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Its really interesting to see how many people are actively looking for SRT systems or components! I didnt realize how popular that system still is. It was certainly a thrill when I found a complete set (minus rear surrounds) in original boxes near me and I enjoyed them for several years before selling to another forum member.

Funny thing, the very first Polk speakers I ever owned were a pair of LS/fx surrounds. Picked them up at a Pawn Shop for $128. No other Polks there at the time so I never knew their history. In my ignorant and low income youth, i used them as bookshelf speakers with a PSW300 sub.😅

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    Its really interesting to see how many people are actively looking for SRT systems or components! I didnt realize how popular that system still is.

Honestly it's probably one of, if not THE most impressive and high-end home theater system there is. I mean sure you could use literal IMAX speakers and call it HT gear, but for a purpose-built system, the SRT is probably the most impressive. I think the only way Polk could have done it better is dual 12" subs and 6.5" midwoofers instead of 5.25" but I feel like they didn't want something so big and heavy you'd need a moving company to toe them in...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Its really interesting to see how many people are actively looking for SRT systems or components! I didnt realize how popular that system still is.

Honestly it's probably one of, if not THE most impressive and high-end home theater system there is. I mean sure you could use literal IMAX speakers and call it HT gear, but for a purpose-built system, the SRT is probably the most impressive. I think the only way Polk could have done it better is dual 12" subs and 6.5" midwoofers instead of 5.25" but I feel like they didn't want something so big and heavy you'd need a moving company to toe them in...

So, you've heard the SRT system?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

So, you've heard the SRT system?

Technical wise, my bad. It definitely would have been cool if they refreshed it and used 6.5" drivers though, they sounded great on the rest of the RT series.

It's not bold to assume a Polk product sounds good based on specs, is it?
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's bold to say, "Honestly it's probably one of, if not THE most impressive and high-end home theater system there is" if you haven't actually heard it.

I have, more than once. It is an extremely impressive system. It doesn't need bigger drivers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    It's bold to say, "Honestly it's probably one of, if not THE most impressive and high-end home theater system there is" if you haven't actually heard it.

I have, more than once. It is an extremely impressive system. It doesn't need bigger drivers.

Fair enough, I have a question for you actually.

Do the top satellites have an HPF on the XO? The RT3000p have an 80Hz ones, do the SRT sats actually produce bass in sealed enclosures or do they have a cutoff where the subs take the work? I can imagine really weird blending from the tops to the subs if there is one, which is why I'm curious.

If they do have an HPF, does it blend fine?
  • dpowell
    Options
    It is an extremely impressive system. It doesn't need bigger drivers.

100% correct. They can produce insane volume levels as configured. That is why my set came with the warning stickers I have as my profile pic.

I agree that it is a very impressive home theater system. Great dynamics and hits hard. The sound was not to my taste in the music department and since my system does double duty for HT and 2 Channel, I decided on my current config with 1.2TLs as the mains. I honestly have not missed the SRTs since passing them on. The SDAs paired with more modern and less issue-prone Subwoofers (see threads on spider issues with SRTs) provide all I could want in a HT experience.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • F1nut
    Options

Fair enough, I have a question for you actually.

Do the top satellites have an HPF on the XO? The RT3000p have an 80Hz ones, do the SRT sats actually produce bass in sealed enclosures or do they have a cutoff where the subs take the work? I can imagine really weird blending from the tops to the subs if there is one, which is why I'm curious.

If they do have an HPF, does it blend fine?

No idea. Never opened one up or looked at a schematic.

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    edited July 2023
    Options
    To my recollection the top satellites are sealed. I believe they follow the same design approach as the RT3000Ps from that standpoint. Never looked at the XOs. Primarily because I put the upgrade funds into the pair of 2.3TLs I had at the same time.

The SRT control center has crossover and volume adjustments for the sub units. Specifically you can control phase, polarity and crossover frequency.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    That's honestly cool as hell. I really want to get one of these systems now.

I wonder how much shipping would cost if I went that route...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I wish you luck in your endover, as time marches on they get fewer and fewer. IIRC I want to say there were less than 2000 made. The controllers are your unicorn.
  • dpowell
    Options
    Enjoy the journey of finding a set! While you are waiting, see if you can find a pair of vintage SDAs so that your ears have a reference point for how they sound and what SDA sounds like. That will give you a basis for evaluating the SRTs. Like others have pointed out, specs are one thing but what you ears like is more important. Hopefully something comes up within driving distance because shipping would likely have to be by freight. The boxes are enormous and heavy. I filled up a good part of an 8ft truck bed when I picked up my set.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I wish you luck in your endover, as time marches on they get fewer and fewer. IIRC I want to say there were less than 2000 made. The controllers are your unicorn.

I asked Ken a while back and he said ~800 sets made. Getting a set with the SDA Surrounds is even less likely :(
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @dpowell Chances of finding a set within 8 hour driving distance is near zero, but I keep looking anyways. I'm sure one day I'll find one but it'll take a while for it to pop up.
  • dpowell
    Options
    @dpowell Chances of finding a set within 8 hour driving distance is near zero, but I keep looking anyways. I'm sure one day I'll find one but it'll take a while for it to pop up.

Exactly how it was for me. Probably took me close to 10 years before a set popped up that wasnt wrecked in some way. I think the biggest challenge is finding them in good shape. They are so heavy and prone to damage during transport and storage. The guy I bought mine from said he had his installed by a professional integrator and they stayed in their permanent location for the entire time he owned them.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @dpowell Okay, that gives me confidence.

What makes me concerned is this. I live in Nova Soctia, pop. ~1M. The ONLY RT3000p set anyone is aware of in this province (from people who used to work sales for Polk back then, and even enthusiasts) is the one I own. As for the CS1000p, none are known to be here, meaning I could be shipping the first one to step foot in here.

Chances of the SRT are slim, BUT there are tons of rich people here and the home theater scene was massive in my province back in the 90s and 00s, we're talking thousands of Polk RT600i were probably sold here according to my Dad who used to work sales. He sold a couple pairs every day to people.
  • dpowell
    edited July 2023
    Options
    If you have trouble finding a CS1000P, see if you can find a CS400. It is nearly identical in design to the CS1000P (2 mids and a tweeter) minus the 50WPC additional 2 powered bass drivers. What I noticed comparing the CS1000P and the CS400 (both of which I owned), the CS1000P adds a subtle amount of additional bass that is noticeable on deeper vocals. I preferred the unpowered SRT center with its 4 mid drivers over the CS1000P. A big reason for this is that I could power the entire SRT center with the amplification of my choice and not be limited by the speaker's internal plate amp. A good subwoofer complimenting an unpowered center set as small in the AVR config accomplishes the same end goal without the additional configuration and built-in limitations of the powered drivers.

Of course the CS1000P has the ultra cool factor look going for it. If you get one, just make sure you have a solid platform and sufficient space to place it. It is a heavy speaker.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    I have the CS400i currently, and it's a phenomenal center, but I'm still going to get a CS1000p as I'd love to have it to complete the collection, and I've heard people say the male vocal difference is really impressive.
  • dpowell
    Options
    Awesome! Having a complete RT5000 setup is an amazing experience. Do you also have the FX1000's? Good luck in the search!

• ChrisD06
    Options
    I don't, and unless I find them for a cheap price, I wont bother.

I'm using RT35s as surrounds and they are LEAGUES better than the f/x 500i I used to own.