I ordered Polk L200!!! Will replace my old Klipsch!!

Options

Comments

• mikejedi0619
    Options
    Went ahead and got the 3M clear rubber feet. And got extra for 8.00

Anyways I put them on. They are now more decoupled more from the shelving. It is a WAF so I gotta keep the shelving .. lol. For now. Seems to have improved the sound too !

These speakers are impressing me even though they are nowhere near being broken in yet
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Give these a look, you can try them and return them if you don't like them.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_892APERTAA/IsoAcoustics-Aperta-Speaker-Stands-Aluminum.html
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I am surprised your L200 didn't come with pre-applied rubber feet or included in the box somewhere. (In the bag with the manual maybe)
  • mikejedi0619
    mikejedi0619 Posts: 96
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I am surprised your L200 didn't come with pre-applied rubber feet or included in the box somewhere. (In the bag with the manual maybe)

They did pre applied .. very flat shallow tiny ones. Left them on because I think they were put in at the factory.
    Put the new ones on in slightly different placement no issues
    , much much better isolation
    !!
    :)

9xogjui59cct.jpeg
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Anyways I put them on. They are now more decoupled more from the shelving. It is a WAF so I gotta keep the shelving .. lol. For now. Seems to have improved the sound too!

I have the same shelving for LP storage. It's perfect for that and can hold a lot.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I use these under all bookshelf speakers not stand mounted, and have even tried them on stand mounted speakers.

In this case, I think the more important adjustment would be to move the speakers so that they're bearing on the mid-divider vertical of the cabinet for the greatest support.

The acoustic foam pads are more for reducing speaker cabinet vibration to the mounting surface, but secondarily, and sometimes equally as important, angling the speaker. This is more for studio or desktop systems, though not exclusively. I have them under some Wharfedale EVO4. 2 in a secondary system, which are sitting atop some Monitor 10s.

If the height is right, I'd say one could go with acoustic foam pads or the Sorbothane hemispheres @Emlyn linked. Either should completely isolate the speaker from the cabinet they're sitting on.

Rubber bumpons will not isolate. They're too hard, and their performance will likely fall somewhere between, overall transferring speaker cabinet vibration and/or micro-movement to the mounting cabinet surface. Wouldn't be surprised if when really rocking, the cabinet gets some wiggle. Getting carpet spikes attached to those cabinets would help that, or some other kind of hard, small surface area isolator. Ball bearing cups or something?

I disabled signatures.
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions !! I got some thinking to do .. I will say this is a very neutral speaker ! Which is good thing !! Too many out there seem to emphasize one thing or another .. but so far these are darn neutral ! Impressive ! I just don’t hear any one thing emphasized.. the Yamaha is shining thru .. I’m sure there is way more break in to go though !!!
  • msg
    Options
    @xschop - weren't you experimenting with some bearing and cup speaker spike alternatives?
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Love 'em...

https://youtube.com/shorts/TE95bIe7Rrg?feature=share

Best thread I've seen all year right here. Dump the Klipsch for some Legends.
    I haven't heard the Legend 200s, but have heard the R200's and wouldn't trade my modded 5B's for them.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    I don’t need a sub from what I am hearing. Man these things pound Clean Clean bass with punch. I’m sure as I break them in more , it will change as well , as I play more stuff. Also those pads really helped big time. I can hear it. ! The bass almost sounds like I have a sub in the room perfectly integrated if that makes sense. These things are amazing. I had no idea what I was missing when I had the Klipsch. It’s not just another league it’s another universe lol

• msg
    Options
    For fun, you might try pulling them waaay out from your wall into the room, and situate yourself into about a 6ft triangle. Get at least 6ft behind the speakers and to the sides, angle the speakers with zero to maybe 15 degrees of toe, like they'd cross way behind your head.

Listen like that for a while and see what you think.

I discovered this accidentally several weeks ago while testing some gear. It was only supposed to be a temporary set up, but was such an unexpectedly transformative experience that it stuck like that for about a month.

I got imaging like I've never experienced in my life. Fade-in of a passage in a familiar track came up the middle of the stage like it was approaching me slowly from far in the distance. Never experienced a stereo depth effect like that before.

Everything sounded very clean, articulate, and nuanced. I hated the R200s before that. I thought they were too fat and muddy, with edge up top. That experience reversed my impression.

A sub will fill the lows that will likely diminish a good bit set up in this manner, but what you gain...

I disabled signatures.
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    So today I noticed not quite as great as the other day but I know it’s part of the break in process. ! I wonder why it does that ? The suspension getting worked out in the woofers maybe ? Then I turned it on just now and it sounds different in a good way with some Coleman Hawkins I can hear things I couldn’t hear before. Interesting !
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    100 more hours to go…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The electrons haven't all aligned yet. Try playing some polka music for a couple of hours. Sometimes that works.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    What’s really interesting the volume knob except for maybe a little bit I don’t have to turn it up that much more than the Klipsch even though it is way less sensitive and lower ohms !!! Yamaha kick **** amp at work. I bet I could run a Maggie set out of this amp someday :)

• michaeljhsda2
    Options
    So today I noticed not quite as great as the other day but I know it’s part of the break in process. ! I wonder why it does that ?

Are you listening to the same song, at the same volume, sitting in the exact same place and it doesn't sound as good as it did on a different day?

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    So today I noticed not quite as great as the other day but I know it’s part of the break in process. ! I wonder why it does that ?

Are you listening to the same song, at the same volume, sitting in the exact same place and it doesn't sound as good as it did on a different day?
    Probably not exact .. could be in my head. Who knows. I am pretty sure I have got more breaking in to do. Didn’t get a chance to even listen yesterday … so haven’t been every single day :) but I am sure I will get there :)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Let an internet radio station/FM tuner play at super quiet volumes 24/7. It'll break in the crossovers even when you aren't actively sitting there listening.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    The above has been mentioned several times previously. If you cannot do that then certainly you have a good deal of break-in time remaining. Patience is a virtue.
  • mikejedi0619
    edited February 2023
    Options
    If I can get my dads old Yamaha Tuner out I can do that. The search begins ! Lol .. I’m sure I will find it. If not .. patience will pay me dividends I agree :) thanks peeps. Just posting my thoughts. As it stands now it’s already a massive upgrade from the Klipsch ! When it does finally break in I get a nice big bonus !!!!! 🔥🥳
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    Madonna : Immaculate Collection CD , I played it , I think the 2nd day I had the speakers, and thought it sounded decent.

But tonight .. wow I can hear the strings of the guitar on certain tracks more clearly and I know the imaging is good on this disc but now it just images like a mf !!. Like I can figure out where stuff is coming from better and hear more into the recording if that makes sense. Even more detailed bass. ! This has always been one of my reference discs. The Klipsch was loud but simply couldn’t do what these do at all!

Having a blast breaking these in .. it’s a
    process that’s for sure …

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    My rig always sounds better at night :D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    I listened to my “Soul Station” XRCD24 and “Tom Cat” XRCD24 thru the Rotel CD11 Tribute. Wow. This is the first time I felt like the Polks sort of disappeared and I could “see” the instrumentation. Spectacular ! These L200s are something special … I’m hearing something different with them every time I listen.. I am sure there is more break in to go .. very interesting !!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Soul Station…. Isn’t that Paul Stanley’s group outside of Kiss?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    “Soul Station” by Hank Mobley and friends 1960s Blue Note Records - Audio Wave XRCD24 series

“Tom Cat” by Lee Morgan and friends
    Same as above

😀
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Thanks for that… I was thinking if this.

https://www.paulstanley.com/soulstation/

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Soul Station…. Isn’t that Paul Stanley’s group outside of Kiss?
    “Soul Station” by Hank Mobley and friends 1960s Blue Note Records ...

😀

I get them two cats mixed up all the time! Must be the Kabuki makeup...

;)
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    I must be at the point today that everything sounds not that great , because literally everything I have listened to today hasn’t sounded good. ! ! Well more break in to go lol
  • mikejedi0619
    edited February 2023
    Options
  • mikejedi0619
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Wow 🤩 .. “Life in the Tropics” The Rippingtons (my favorite jazz fusion group, definitely not traditional jazz but their stuff has always been enjoyable since I started getting into jazz as a teen ) .. holy crap I think I may have knocked my mother in law from her recliner downstairs ! Lol j/k. She said it was loud. No it’s clean but sweet and it comes together so nice .. and the —>> imaging WOW wow I’ve never heard it like this. !! Breaking in speakers have never been this fun lol.

On the Rotel CD11 Tribute Ken Ishiwata tuned piece :)

Yamaha AS2200
    Polk L200