Help us shape the future of Polk

Options

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I took the survey when it first came out and was rejected right away.
    I took the survey today and ran right through it til the end.
    Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited February 2023
    Options
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited February 2023
    Options
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    From the Washington Post on February 14, 2023:

More than 1 in 6 Americans now 65 or older as U.S. continues graying
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/02/14/aging-boomers-more-older-americans/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    ^ Turned 65 September… there’s a shart-pot of boomers retiring.

Retook the survey and made it to the end this time.
    Would be fun to participate.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Slightly on/off topic.

I've had countless discussions with folks that would listen that this industry is slowly pricing itself to an eventual death.

The cost to entry for younger people is simply unobtainable. When I first started the hobby at 14 years old, I bought a set of Polk rt35i from Crutchfield for 300 shipped to my house...

That same caliber of speaker from Polk now is over 600 a pair.

Ultimately, I think if the industry as a whole is not careful, particularly the high end market... The next twenty years will see a drastic decline in clientele as... Ahem... The older clientele simply are no longer there anymore and there are far far less younger people there to take their place.

As an industry there should be some type of something that gathers the attention of the younger generation in an aspiring way.

The products that were out when I was younger were very cool! The Polk SRT, statement musical fidelity, things that really made you go wow.

Most manufactures now a days seem more interested in hitting size and weight specs for import and export than overall performance.

As a relatively young person, 34, looking back on what made me excited about the hobby and where the industry is today.. M I honestly am not so sure I would have ever started the hobby like I did in this day and age.

The other difference is that the forum exposure is much less with lesser participation. This forum from a personal and audio perspective has been literally life changing. I have met people on this forum I consider to be friends and family and literally everything about my life can be traced back to this forum in some way or another.

Facebook groups simply don't have that environment and frankly they suck. Polk should be doing everything it can to build and flourish this community and steer them away from Facebook and other social media platforms. There should be more Polk fests and gatherings, invitations to Polk hq and engineering and trying to build back the loyal fan base that frankly will dissappear in time.

I am willing to bet most everyone on this forum is 40 years or older with a very small amount under 30. This really is a problem for Polk and every other audio brand.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth!
    I really like what you said here.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    The real boost was albums and entry level turntables. Many actually had the opportunity to hear uncompressed music.
    I do realize that is likely a fad the is soon fading away again, but I will take what us audio aficionado's can get!!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,056
    Options
    Made it through first time on the application. Will see what happens.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • DStachour
    Options
    The survey worked fine for me the first time and I'd love to contribute.
    Home Theater 5.1.2: Marantz SR5012 receiver, Polk R700 and R400 across the front and Klipsch CDT-5650-C II In-Wall/Ceiling surrounds, SVS SB2000 sub, Epson 5050 projector, Apple TV 4K
    Family Room 2.0: Yamaha RX-V373 receiver, Polk RTi A9 speakers, TCL 4K TV, Apple TV 4K, Squeezebox Duet
    Office 2.1: Rotel RA-11 Integrated amp, GoldenEar Aon3 speakers, SVS SB2000 sub, TCL 4K TV, Apple TV 4K, Squeezebox Duet
    Master Bedroom 2.0: JVC RX-318 receiver, Polk R15, Squeezebox Duet
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Survey is closed, but probably would not have qualified due to working for another audio company.

The industry has many challenges:
    - Shift away from quality and more towards convenience.
    - Along with that, lots of low-brand, inexpensive competition.
    - Approaching recession
    - Difficulty to overcome the reason why higher-end audio is needed. "Higher end" being anything more than a BT speaker. There's also a lack of show-rooms to hear good audio.

I personally experienced #1 recently. My daughter (20 yo) said she wanted to get into Vinyl or CD collecting. I asked why, and could only get "because it sounds cool". Then I turned the conversation to upgrading from her BT speaker and over-ear headphones to a nice 2 channel rig and she wasn't interested. She doesn't have the room and doesn't see the need (even though I have several nice setups to hear). I offered to get her setup with an LSi7 based rig (amp, pre, stands, etc.) for CD playing but she turned it down.

That said, my wife does appreciate the sound of my R100's in my home office. But she also uses headphones mainly.

Lastly, I am still a Polk fan and have many products from Polk. I occasionally lurk here nowadays, and don't participate much. The forum has changed from when I first joined and it doesn't seem as engaging and fun.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,528
    Options
    We stink. >:)

This:
    eckhdfb4ian9.jpg
    $130.00

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    @CarlJacobson_POLK

Do you know when we will start finding out if we have been selected or not?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,528
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Oh, you have been selected;
    el1aagmucauh.jpeg
    po644qo9h9ib.jpeg
    9s9rgjlsct5b.jpeg

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,071
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Survey is closed, but probably would not have qualified due to working for another audio company.

- Approaching recession
    - Difficulty to overcome the reason why higher-end audio is needed. "Higher end" being anything more than a BT speaker. There's also a lack of show-rooms to hear good audio.

I personally experienced #1 recently. My daughter (20 yo) said she wanted to get into Vinyl or CD collecting. I asked why, and could only get "because it sounds cool". Then I turned the conversation to upgrading from her BT speaker and over-ear headphones to a nice 2 channel rig and she wasn't interested. She doesn't have the room and doesn't see the need (even though I have several nice setups to hear). I offered to get her setup with an LSi7 based rig (amp, pre, stands, etc.) for CD playing but she turned it down.

That said, my wife does appreciate the sound of my R100's in my home office. But she also uses headphones mainly.

Lastly, I am still a Polk fan and have many products from Polk. I occasionally lurk here nowadays, and don't participate much. The forum has changed from when I first joined and it doesn't seem as engaging and fun.

So, I agree, by and large, but I think that economics has dealt "us" (the "average consumer") a weird hand in the past 20 years or so -- there's not much in the middle (heck, there's not much "middle class" left); markets for most things have bifurcated: there's inexpensive/massmarket and then there's "high end"/luxury/"lifestyle". The price gap has widened just as the chasm spread in personal wealth has widened.
    Here's a hamfisted attempt to visualize this for hifi. In the old days, there was (I think) a fairly "normal" (Gaussian) distribution of products available from the low end (Soundesign, Yorx) to the high end (conrad-johnson, Audio Research, McIntosh) -- pick your favorite examples. There was plenty of stuff in between, and the price spread from the bottom to the top of the market was fairly limited (say $100 to $10,000, i.e., three orders of magnitude).

Nowadays, there's an explosion of value-priced stuff, mostly from generic Asian manufacturers and brands -- and still a healthy (if smaller) niche at the high end, with concomitant, stratospheric pricing. Today, that price spread is from $10s of dollars (Amazon Basics-level products) to millions of dollars (five orders of magnitude!). Worse, there's -- maybe (?) -- not much in between.

atfibxgu6qhq.png
    (not to scale!) ;)

It's the change in distribution, and the nonlinear increase in the spread (from ca. three to five orders of magnitude, a 100-fold change) of prices that are the big challenges, I'd opine.

Right now today, Polk's R and L series are pretty reasonably in- between. Maybe (??) there is still a market for high-value, reasonably-priced entertainment components?

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

atfibxgu6qhq.png
    (not to scale!) ;)

So... Audio now needs to buy a bra?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

atfibxgu6qhq.png
    (not to scale!) ;)

So... Audio now needs to buy a bra?

19q8njxttwjc.jpg
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    I agree with you, but I think the middle ground presence varies by product type. For headphones, especially in-ear it's definitely two humped. But for bookshelf and floor speakers there's still mid-priced options (some may call this mid-Fi). Of course, depends on how you define the middle. But Polk still sells the Monitor and T-series. Some may argue that the $500-$800 price point is mid-priced, and that would place the smaller Signature and Reserve products at this price point. That's always been Polk's strength - selling quality sounding speakers for <$1K.

Again, in-ear, wired products, totally agree. Lots of cheap junk, some high end expensive stuff (>$300) and not too much in the middle ($100-$200). I can't seem to find a comfortable, good sounding wired set for portable gaming (low latency). A lot of products that used to be here (such as Grado iGe3) seem to be discontinued in favor of wireless or more expensive sets.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Polk and others presumably have the “good, best, better” approach for that very reason. One reason the R200’s are popular is because they are in that average consumer range, albeit within the audio set.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Polk and others presumably have the “good, best, better” approach for that very reason. One reason the R200’s are popular is because they are in that average consumer range, albeit within the audio set.

I would say look at the edifier's above. The R200s are very expensive for most people, especially when you consider that you have to buy an amp, stands, cables, etc. WE think of them as mid-fi or even great sound at a reasonable price; the masses do not...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @CarlJacobson_POLK

Do you know when we will start finding out if we have been selected or not?

John, I'll need to make an inquiry. I was just helping get the forum members involved, but I am not that involved in the project. Stay tuned.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    dromunds wrote: »

I would say look at the edifier's above. The R200s are very expensive for most people, especially when you consider that you have to buy an amp, stands, cables, etc. WE think of them as mid-fi or even great sound at a reasonable price; the masses do not...

That’s why I qualified the statement, “within the audio set.”
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Did anyone get selected yet?

• mhardy6647
    Options
    maybe we're just, you know...

7bp0f6vd4yr6.png

:#
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,618
    Options
    Not yet. Hopefully, I’m not scheduled for 8:00am Monday. Lol
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Not yet. Hopefully, I’m not scheduled for 8:00am Monday. Lol

Oh you will be now!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    Geesh, give them a chance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    Nothing yet, a little too soon?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    In all seriousness, yes, I reckon so (a little premature, that is).
    It's a journey, not a destination. :#
  • vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 178
    edited February 2023
    Options

- Approaching recession

From my experience, " Hifi audio" is definitely coming back.

/r/audiophile has almost 2 million members ( and growing) most of them are GenX, millennials & GenZ

I hope this hobby doesn't die. Im going to teach my kids to appreciate a good 2 channel system with proper components & proper set up.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,618
    Options
    Well, I was declined again (via email), but I have to say they were quite nice about it. Lol Best of luck to all the others.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM