New power cable for Lumin X1

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
The Westminster Labs cable arrived tonight (Tuesday) about 6:30 PM, which was perfect since Tuesday and Friday night are music and beer nights. Since this power cable is so short compared to the stock X1 power cable I had to move the X1 to the center of the rack, and put the power supply on the left side. Naturally, this turned into a major exercise as I tried to maneuver the Shunyata power cord from the right side of the rack to the left. Of course while doing this I managed to knock the power cord off of another piece of gear. Finally I got the gear rearranged and all the power cords installed and turned the gear back on. There were no flames or smoke so this exercise was successful.

Now that I have about 30 minutes of listening time on it I can say there is an obvious improvement in sound quality. The sound has a bit more presence and punch to it. Not that the previous sound was bad, but this is a bit clearer. I will let the cable get acclimated to its new home, and give another review Friday night. However, I am satisfied with my first audio purchase in 2-3 years.

The cable itself appears to be a solid, well made, piece of gear, and I am more than happy with this purchase.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Congratulations on your power cord upgrade! Is it cryo treated?
  • BlueFox
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Congratulations on your power cord upgrade! Is it cryo treated?

I don't think so. There are two versions and I got the slightly more expensive version with premium carbon fiber shield layer. From a post on their cables,

"Finally, we offer an optional carbon fiber sleeve for shielding, which will not be affected by any magnetic field and rejects interferences without absorption in nature. When used in conjunction with Vari-Twist Technology, this brings the already state-of-the-art cable to a whole new level."

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/re-imagining-the-cable-connection.35003/#post-802303

When I went to bed last night after 6 hours of listening I was amazed at the sonic improvement in sound. Now the cable is burning in, and will continue until I listen again Friday night.

321ctprlba8y.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Today, a week later, I have to say this cable is amazing. It has been installed and burning in for a week, and I am just amazed at how good the system now sounds. It is hard to believe that a 0.6 meter cable with premium carbon fiber shield carrying low voltage DC can make this big a sound difference. But it does! I am just amazed at the clarity and impact of the sound I am now hearing. Granted, this is my first audio purchase/upgrade in three year so I might be biased, but so be it. The audio detail is so clear while still being very, very musical. This has to be the best low cost ($1700) purchase I have ever made, or at least tied with an earlier Shunyata power cable purchase. If you have a Lumin X1 I can only say you should try this cable.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Makes sense. You eliminated a weak link in the system.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Why didn't you stay in the same family of cables you own now?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueFox
    Because they don't make this type of cable which is designed for a specific piece of gear.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Bump. Anyone heard from Bud @BlueFox lately?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Says his profile is private.. how did he do that???
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Edit profile > private profile checkbox
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2022
    Bump. Anyone heard from Bud @BlueFox lately?

He seems to only post in the music thread. July 9th was his last post there.

We've also not heard squat from @motorhead43026 (Craig) in a very long time. I sent a pm to motor weeks ago for the second time.....zip nothing no response.
    March 10 was the last time he checked in. Heck it could have been March last year afaik
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2022
    I'll try sending Bud a PM.
  • Clipdat
    Damn, no response, that is unlike him. Anyone got his contact info and could reach out directly?
  • pitdogg2
    Damn, no response, that is unlike him. Anyone got his contact info and could reach out directly?

Not good !!
  • pitdogg2

If he doesn't show up for friday night tunes and beer, we'll know something is not right.
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 601
    I sent Bud a text and have not heard from him. I hope things are well with him.
  • pitdogg2
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I sent Bud a text and have not heard from him. I hope things are well with him.

If you have his number call him....geesh.
  • Clipdat
    Did you call him yet??
  • la2vegas
    edited August 2022
    His phone is dead...
    The call goes straight to voicemail.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hmmm, hope everything's okay with him. He hangs out at the WBF as well, I'll reach out to him there.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Clicked on his profile at WBF and July 9 is also his date of 'last seen" there...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Clipdat
    ****. This is not good.
  • la2vegas
    I had both his cell and his landline. Both come go to his voicemail.

Wish I still had his address. My uncle lives 20 minutes away from Bud. I'd have him do a wellness check on him.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah if I had his address I would've already driven over there, I'm only about 45 min away.

Maybe someone who has won a karma from him still has his address from the box, but unlikely.
  • la2vegas
    That's a good point. Bud is very generous and has given away thousands of dollars worth of gear.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’m looking around for Bud’s address. I purchased gear from him some time ago and may still have the box
  • treitz3
    We have it, no worries. Thanks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    Good, because all I can find is that San Jose address
  • dromunds
    For some reason I was thinking he lived in Rancho Pales Verdes but if the San Jose address is correct just PM me if needed but it sounds like from Tom’s post that people have it. If not just ask
  • treitz3
    He stated one time that he bought the house a long time ago for dirt cheap. The address we have for him last sold back in 1990, which sounds about right for the timeline he spoke about. I have only known him to have that one address the entire time he has been a member here or elsewhere.

Tom
  • dromunds
    Not sure why I thought he lived in Rancho Pales Verdes. Just hope all is well with him.