What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    OMG....I just alphabetized my LP collection.....that was very time consuming. I could not imagine doing that. I feel your pain though.....

Tom

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers* -- under T, P or H?
    B)

My son and I have had arguments about the way I have my rekkids organized.
    Of course, he's also expressed disdain for my having, e.g., four copies** of Who's Next on the shelf... but at least they're together! (and shelved under "W")

:#

iwh42t5ly4xj.gif

** This is a guesstimate, for illustrative purposes only. There might be five or six -- plus a couple down in the basement.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I made it real easy for me. How ever I would say the band is how it would be organized. I always omitted the word "The". Compilation albums were separated, alphabetized and put in after "Z". If it were two or three people (Like Emylou Harris and Mark Knopfler), they would be alphabetized by the first person mentioned but not separated from the rest.

Just as with my CD collection, only classical and "top shelf" stuff were completely separated and then organized in the same way but reside in a different area/shelf.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    To answer your question, that album would be listed in my collection under, "T".

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I put all my albums in Discogs and then that is the order of them on the shelf. Works pretty good. When I can’t find something I look it up in my Discogs account and bingo.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    OMG....I just alphabetized my LP collection.....that was very time consuming. I could not imagine doing that. I feel your pain though.....

Tom

It can be a chore if you want to be exact about what you have. Most of my LP's are pre-bar code. Pull the LP out, check the runout area, etc. Being retired helps.

The wife is pretty excited by the collection value. Look for the firesale after I check out...lol Any dibs, I'll stick em in the death file.

Tom Petty will be under T here as well.

Found some dupes, like a sealed Aerosmith Just Push Play. There is one on discogs for $2,500. Discogs says $400 for the high.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2022
    I built a Heathkit H-89 computer (4 MHz Z80A 8 bit processor with, eventually 16k of RAM IIRC) for our lab in grad school. Well, OK, I built parts of it, and did numerous aftermarket upgrades to it in the early 80s (pre-PC). As a reward :) I got to take it home over, IIRC, Christmas vacation probably in 81.

<Stay with me here; I'm going somewhere with this>

During vacation, I made a (very crude) database of my record collection album titles, and then, using Heath's BASIC interpreter, wrote a random record generator, for those times when I couldn't decide which record to play. RANREC :)

My previous solution to this "problem" had been analog: I cut strips out of file cards, wrote album titles on them and put them into a plastic container* When I couldn't decide what to listen to next, I reached in & drew one out (no peeky). :)

pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    tratliff wrote: »
    Picked up a rack for the new system over the weekend. I haven't put it in placed yet. Going to wait for all the cables to come in so I only have to assemble everything once.

930poefflsph.jpg

Audio thesis?
  • tratliff
    edited June 2022
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Audio thesis?

No, this came from another local dealer that our Audio Thesis buddy turned me on to.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Picked up a rack for the new system over the weekend. I haven't put it in placed yet. Going to wait for all the cables to come in so I only have to assemble everything once.

930poefflsph.jpg

Can’t wait to see it all come together!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    NICE!!!! I didn't do anything to my 2 channel rig on these scales, but I did pick up a short 2.5mm to RCA jack cord and tried out my little player with FLAC files. I normally use this thing when I'm cutting the grass or other work on my tractor and like listening to the songs in random order.

So the other day I used the new cord and plugged in the player to the AUX jacks on the pre. I must say, I am somewhat impressed on how good it sounds out on the deck....esp with a cold beer!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    6-8 cold beers and it will sound stellar!
    😃
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I'm completely redoing my PC setup which includes wider speaker placement, new power conditioner (Shunyata PS10 w/ Venom Defender), new aftermarket power cords on powered monitors & sub, new iFi iPower Elite PSU for DAC, etc.

I'm trying to decide if I should introduce these upgrades incrementally in order to hear the changes each brings, or just put all my best stuff into play all at once.

On one hand I would like to know if certain things "matter", like this $300 iFi PSU. On the other hand I have no plans to return it regardless. I feel like life is short and I should just put my best gear into play (since it's just sitting here anyway) and see how it sounds and then go from there.

Thoughts? Keep in mind I an incredibly lazy. So right now I am leaning toward just throwing all the new power cables, etc into the mix simultaneously and seeing what happens. Too time consuming to do one thing at a time and take notes etc.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I think do all and then rotate back in something to compare
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, possibly. That's a good idea. But keep in mind, incredibly lazy.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Sell it all and go to headphones only
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Haha. Loving my Focal Clear MG open backs. But they are very open. Ambient sounds raise the noise floor like a ****.
  • tratliff
    Picked up my cables from Skip on Sunday. System is in place but room is a disaster. I’ll post pictures later. Cables only have a couple of hours on them but the system is sounding really good. I cannot believe the change in dynamics.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited July 2022
    One of my DIY audio buddies Steve was here a week or so ago and we got the same great improvements with his DC Blocker and DIY Ohno copper power cables. Searching for further improvements and since we are both heavily interested in room acoustic treatments, I remembered that I had this big rolled up (with two webbing straps) piece of what I guess you would call memory mattress foam in my basement which was probably just getting moldy and I know I have a problem with the corner of my room trapping bass which is close to my usual off axis listening position, and so I brought it up and put it in that corner propped up halfway between floor and ceiling and OMG. The bass in the equilateral sweetspot which had always been a bit weak compared to that off axis corner position, totally improved with greater punch and definition. This piece of foam is about 16" dia. and 20" in height. I wish I had more to go all the way up to the ceiling.

He was inspired and is now building some 13" dia., 3ft tall DIY Tube Traps with fiberglass steam pipe insulation and tubular cardboard concrete forms perforated with an array of 1.5" dia. hole sawed holes, which are loosely based upon Art Noxon's patents. I'll probably be following in his footsteps and will report results when I have the disposable income for parts.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Clipdat
    I ended up just throwing all the cables and new stuff in at once and I'm listening now for the first time. Sounding good!
    giphy.gif
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Heading to the metallurgy lab to listen to the 3rd rig.
    Got all the parts and tooling for my next project...

3o0y9j8r4x6z.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Clipdat
    Unhooked the Buchardt S400s and hooked up my Polk L200s.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Hope you like it! I don't, but beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Picked up my cables from Skip on Sunday. System is in place but room is a disaster. I’ll post pictures later. Cables only have a couple of hours on them but the system is sounding really good. I cannot believe the change in dynamics.

Did you pick up the Thunderbirds? I have been enjoying the heck out of the RCA's. Debating to change the speaker cable from the Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 or not.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tratliff
    erniejade wrote: »
    Did you pick up the Thunderbirds? I have been enjoying the heck out of the RCA's. Debating to change the speaker cable from the Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 or not.

Yes, I have both the RCA and the Thunderbird Zero speaker cables. I still only have about 20 hours on them so not ready to make a statement about them. In fact, I am gonna go turn them on now and get some time in.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    erniejade wrote: »

Yes, I have both the RCA and the Thunderbird Zero speaker cables. I still only have about 20 hours on them so not ready to make a statement about them. In fact, I am gonna go turn them on now and get some time in.

Around that 300 mark is when I really noticed a difference on the RCA. I listened to them off the bat and then just let the Zen play for a few weeks strait and then listened to them again 2 weeks later and I could hear quite a bit of difference. Man now I want to check the speaker cables out!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    Before I moved the 1.2TL's to the store room to repaint them, they were about 10" from the back wall (the corners of the room where the speakers sit had a lot more bass compared to the seating area). When I moved them back into the living room I placed them 6" from the back wall. Talk about a dramatic improvement in bass at the seating area! Interestingly, now there is hardly any bass in the corners where the speakers are. Extremely happy with this change.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp