What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• CFarrell_SoundUnited
    Options
    Knocking on one of the L200 speakers, I noticed a nasty vibration. I placed carpet under the stands, a temporary fix until I can afford proper speaker stands.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Looks like a pretty small top plate ^^^.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    Beautiful setup
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • CFarrell_SoundUnited
    Options
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24794
    I am considering these stands from Monoprice. Has anyone had any experience with these particular stands?
  • VR3
    Options
    Look beefy, add some sand or lead shot and call it a day
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    194 5-star reviews out of 221 total reviews would be enough to convince me.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    iqpvfqlb9uk6.jpeg

That amp looks Classy!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Elegant. I really like the L200’s.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    iqpvfqlb9uk6.jpeg

That amp looks Classy!

A classy Classe'. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    The purple lights aren't my taste, but cudos to you for going the extra mile.
  • CFarrell_SoundUnited
    Options
    I use Philips HUE lights in the room. Just about any color option can be set via the app.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Nice setup. I'm partially color blind so that's a nice shade of Blue. :D

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I am considering these stands from Monoprice. Has anyone had any experience with these particular stands?

Yes, I bought a pair and I'm very happy with them, but you need to plan on filling them. They had a terrible ring at first, but I filled them with aquarium gravel and they are virtually dead now when you thump on the columns. I have my R200 on them and they are very solid.
    I used this: 2x 20lb bags was enough for two 24" stands (actually had a good amount leftover, so 2 bags would probably also work for the taller 28" stands if that's what you're considering). https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-nutmeg-aquarium-gravel-20-lbs-2558340
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I installed a discontinued Sonore Audiobyte USB to I2S module from the spare parts bin in my DAC. This remains a SOTA USB module with isolation and re-clocking all on one board. I have it running in synch, the Audiobyte supplies clock for the DAC. To disable my DAC's onboard clock, I just have to remove its power regulator and connect the external clock via a short U.fl cable.

Roon sees the Audiobyte as an unrecognized I2S device. That means no Native DSD option will show up in Roon. In 2019, Roon changed their programming. The device must report it is Native DSD capable in order for the Native DSD option to show up under Playback Strategy. In Linux anyway (I use Roon Rock). I think Windows users can just use ASIO driver to do native.

It will do DoP though (DSD over PCM). I have Roon converting files to DSD128, the maximum Roon shows with this configuration. IMO, I never heard any difference between Native DSD or DSD over PCM. Conversion does take more CPU processing, so server CPU needs to be capable. Sounds fantastic!

5lueps19d0br.jpg
    oj27apnhm8cz.jpg
    n6al59gtwgcz.jpg
    ckau8m60jx01.jpg

Roon allows naming device so that's why Sonore Audiobyte shows in menu.

t6ll7lz7sgn7.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Nice work!!!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Doing magnet gluing, Dynamat to baskets & Black Hole 5 behind mid woofers.

Cut up the BH5 this morning.
    Now having several frosty beverages…
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2022
    Options

I think those are the same stands Audio Advisor sources to sell under their Pangea brand. I wasn't happy with the pair I got because of fit and finish issues. I don't think they're high enough quality to match the rest of the gear in your system in the long term, and buying something inexpensive may actually be a waste of money.

Personally, I'd look for a pair of stands in the $500 and up range for LSiM speakers and use those stands long term.

Something similar in quality to these for a high end two channel system...

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/furniture/target-mr-series-speaker-stands/

BTW, what model are the Rel subwoofers?
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • CFarrell_SoundUnited
    Options
    Thank you for the tip and excellent advice, @Emlyn. Those stands look nice, and I will consider them. The Rel subs are the S/3 model.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    Moon Phone pre burned up its power supply. So I've reinserted the Schiit. I'm gonna have to look for a new/different one.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Installed the sl2500 I received from @wispolkboy into the one monitor 7 series 2 I picked up several months ago that had a dead tweeter. Now I just have to figure out why the DC resistance between the two differs by almost an ohm. Noticed the mw in each is different. I suspect based on the dust cap one is not the original. Both mws are Polk and sound good, but different. The joys of used speakers...

Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with the tweeter I received. There's something else at play I need to investigate.
  • wispolkboy
    wispolkboy Posts: 149
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Installed the sl2500 I received from @wispolkboy into the one monitor 7 series 2 I picked up several months ago that had a dead tweeter. Now I just have to figure out why the DC resistance between the two differs by almost an ohm. Noticed the mw in each is different. I suspect based on the dust cap one is not the original. Both mws are Polk and sound good, but different. The joys of used speakers...

Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with the tweeter I received. There's something else at play I need to investigate.

can you post pic of the two mw's? glad the tweeter is working out for you...
    M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
    M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
    M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
    M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
    M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
    SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Moon Phone pre burned up its power supply. So I've reinserted the Schiit. I'm gonna have to look for a new/different one.

Sorry to hear that man. That bites.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Polk's new production woofers in the late 90's had bigger dust caps that covered the voice coil leads on the woofer. Prior production you could see the voice coil leads. Personally I found no difference in sound between my original mw6501 and the newer production mw6501 that I had.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I’ve posted about these before, but keep finding more uses for them all the time:

I’ve been delaying looking into why I’m getting rattle from my SVS SB-1000 Pro sub for about 6 weeks now.

I figured either the cabinet wasn’t designed well enough or the sub itself might have been bottoming out.

During a loud bass passage that was causing the rattle sound, I put my hand on top of the woofer cabinet with good pressure and the rattling stopped, so I ruled out that the woofer was bottoming-out.

I had been using rubber screw-in footers from SVS to protect my hardwood floors, but apparently some bass frequencies were causing the sub to bounce, which caused the rattle sound.

Replaced the rubber footers with Pangea Pico feet (no affiliation), and voila(!), deep, clean, fast, punchy bass and rattling was gone.

I love these things!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Saw cutting done. Outer dimensions and True 3" radius programmed. 400 grit process up next...

wv81adlxxf1k.jpg

d4fzu7am6mkl.jpg

fkf6j9cil4sx.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Sorry, what are they for again? :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    Options
    Isolation cups for an adult beverage... Aka coasters 👀
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    I believe only Barry or George can explain. 😁
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.