SDA 2b tl's too bright. What am I missing?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    Drilling fiberglass is tricky, a new bit helps. Do not breath the fiberglass dust.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upon further inspection I cut it in 3 places.

63whnq1mic74.jpg

• F1nut
    That's trashed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I suspected so. Full disclosure, the slip was letting the drill bit go too far through the board from the bottom. Inmate when I make stupid mistakes like that
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's trashed.

Or it might make it sound better. We still need to find out how much wire was lost. Just doesn't look all that much to me. Worst case scenario, have @westmassguy built you some new ERSE inductors.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • New inductors are a definite possibility. I could also try to find a used crossover for parts somewhere.

I don't understand how the damaged one could work at all. Seems to me the circut would be incomplete with the coil cut in 3 places.
  • Just looked online for a minute and Madisound has a 1.25mh 19 AWG inductor for less than $10. Parts plus has an ERSR 1.3mh. Solutions are available. should replace the 1.25 in both crossovers or is that unnecessary?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549

I don't understand how the damaged one could work at all. Seems to me the circut would be incomplete with the coil cut in 3 places.

If you just needed to remove a few inches, it could still be in spec. However if you need to remove 3-4 feet it would more than likely be real noticable to the ears.
    it's trash.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Just looked online for a minute and Madisound has a 1.25mh 19 AWG inductor for less than $10. Parts plus has an ERSR 1.3mh. Solutions are available. should replace the 1.25 in both crossovers or is that unnecessary?

I may have an oem salvaged Inductor. I'll check what I have.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited June 2022
    I found a salvaged Inductor. Cleaned all the old hot glue off it. Unwound it to 1.25mH exactly. It was reading 1.33mH. Measured DCR is .88 ohms. Close enough to the .863 from Tony's @gimpod Inductor chart. I wrapped it in cloth tape which keeps the winding tight for shipping You can remove it and put hot glue back on if you choose. PM me and I'll arrange shipping.

4isytazmrnpg.jpg
    Post edited by westmassguy on
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    @vintage dad I don't know if this would make a difference, but are your 198's connected correctly? The black wire (which is positive) to the tweeter goes to the smaller +POSITIVE tab on the RDO-198.

• pitdogg2
    Dave you're the man buddy !
  • Sorry Ive been off the grid, crazy work week. PM sent westmassguy, and thank you! Gmc man, I would hate to think that I could have made such a rookie mistake, but I will certainly check the polairity on the Rdo's.
  • Upon further inspection of gimpod's chart above I think I have messed up. Again The inductor I damaged was on my 1C crossover. I assumed the 1.25 mH inductor in the 2B and the 1C were interchangable. Now I see that the 1C inductor is 22 guage with a DCR of 1.329 ohms. I replaced it with the 1.25mH inductor from my 2B which is 20 guage with a DCR of 0.863 ohms. So now my 1C's have mismatched crossovers. I would imagine this is not good. Like I said before, I know just enough to be dangerous. I should have checked here before I made that swap. What should I do?
  • F1nut
    Order 2 new inductors for your 1C and put the one you stole from the 2B back where you got it.

President of Club Polk

• vintage dad
    vintage dad Posts: 57
    edited June 2022
    Westmassguy found some suitable inductor replacements for me, much appreciated. Had to special order them from the UK so it may take a while to get them. Hopefully I wont break anything else in the meantime!
    Post edited by vintage dad on
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    You aren't working on your crossovers in a meth lab are you? :#
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • That could be tragic in many ways. I don't feel safe around things that explode. Except fireworks. But I don't have any if those either.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    That could be tragic in many ways. I don't feel safe around things that explode. Except fireworks. But I don't have any if those either.

LOL...Then just step back and relax. You're on the right track. Sometimes shithappens...welcome to Club Polk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Ever notice how slowly time passes when waiting for parts?
  • pitdogg2
    Ever notice how slowly time passes when waiting for parts?

Yea, you watch tracking and watch it fly right past you and then work its way back......for daaaays
  • Today is the day. While waiting for the inductors for the SDA1c's, I am taking another crack at the 2B tl crossovers. F1nut, the denatured alcohol is a game changer! Here we are at square 1.
    mmnhr831cv8u.jpg
  • What can be used to extend the leads on a capacitor?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Speaker wire or inductor wire works
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    What can be used to extend the leads on a capacitor?

For on the board or remote mounting off the board?

President of Club Polk

• On the board. After moving the caps around I had some excess lead wire. I cut it at the board and soldered it to the leads of the caps I needed to extend. 1 crossover complete, 1 to go. New work on the bottom, old work on the top.mr4sxg4tedav.jpg
  • Here's my solution gor the leads. Made a small loop in one lead, slid the other lead through, crimped then soldered.lefu55rcqul4.jpg
  • Now I have to pull the 1.25mH inductor back out of my 1c. I have been saving that for last because I have been listening to them while working on the 2btl's. I don't like to work in silence.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    Looking good
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • F1nut
    Much better!

The leftover cut off cap leads are my go to for extending leads on a board. I have a nice stash of them. Otherwise for longer remote runs I use solid core copper chassis wire.

President of Club Polk