What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Got most of my CD collection out of basement storage and onto shelves today.

Picked up a stack of Red Seals and Telarcs on the cheap to up my classical game.

Next step alphabetizing.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Same thing this weekend. I am tuning the speakers (MTM mostly) to the room. Woke up in the sweet spot this morning at 4:00am.

vyupdwmfcfr8.png

I am learning that what is inside of a speaker can be just as important....and in some cases, more important, than any kind of component, crossover or driver changes. I am on my 5th attempt (so far) at getting it spot on perfect within all of the parameters I am trying to achieve and am learning quite a bit along the way. It's amazing how just one little bit of change can affect the end result as to what hits your ears.

Don't get me wrong, they sounded great before but I am striving for even better. I have a feeling I will get to where I want to go and I should be able to get there within the next two attempts. My goal is to get it to where you still hear the wood within a string instrument without the overloading of certain frequencies at extreme louder volumes....while still achieving the crystal clear and wonderful "ping" (when called upon) that the Millennium tweeter does so well. Not an easy task...but I am getting much closer. Right now, it's a little "too clean". The adjustment I made last night got me closer to my goal but I didn't go far enough.

Even rolled some NOS 12AX7Ei Gold Pin tubes in the Jolida JD-9MKII. Tung Sol Gold-Pin 12AX7 tubes were in there and I think that this was somewhat of a lateral move...instead of a "Wow". Some things are different, some of those changes are attributes, while others are deficiencies. Basically, a different flavor.

m434i8f297on.png

As you see, I am still also working on alphabetizing the LP collection. Also got the parts in to rebuild my Nitty Gritty RCM. New pump, one way valves, all new tubing and new foam strips. She will be basically brand new again.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Tom,
    Any reason you're not trying some nos or close to nos tested 5751 triple mica RCA or Raytheon triple mica windmill getters or something along that line?

Just curious
  • treitz3
    I just recently got back into rolling tubes in the vinyl setup I have because I have been working so hard on the digital side of things in the rig. Now that I have reached the top of the mountain there, I am once again getting back into listening and improving the vinyl aspect of the rig. It used to be that the vinyl was sonically well above my digital but now it's the other way around. The Tung Sol's that were in there came straight from the MKII upgrade, so I figured that I would give them a shot before I started rolling more tubes into the mix.

I just had a hankerin' to hear something different, so I rolled in my go-to tube that I used in the Jolida JD100 CDP. I have about 4 or 5 more different pairs in the closet stash that I will go through before I start buying tubes again for the Phono pre. It only uses 1 pair, so it's not like it will break the bank when I get around to that.

It's been so long since I rolled tubes of the 12AX7 variety, I honestly have forgotten what I actually do have. One of them must have 9 designated names to it (D-getter, long plate, triple mica and the list went on seemingly endlessly). I do distinctly remember that one of them sounded freakin' INCREDIBLE when it came to female voices and especially horns, but that one came with the expense of a slight loss in mid bass punch. But with that said, this is a different application. This one is for analog as opposed to digital.

If you have any suggestions, I can keep a lookout for them. ;)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I just recently got back into rolling tubes in the vinyl setup I have because I have been working so hard on the digital side of things in the rig. Now that I have reached the top of the mountain there, I am once again getting back into listening and improving the vinyl aspect of the rig. It used to be that the vinyl was sonically well above my digital but now it's the other way around. The Tung Sol's that were in there came straight from the MKII upgrade, so I figured that I would give them a shot before I started rolling more tubes into the mix.

I just had a hankerin' to hear something different, so I rolled in my go-to tube that I used in the Jolida JD100 CDP. I have about 4 or 5 more different pairs in the closet stash that I will go through before I start buying tubes again for the Phono pre. It only uses 1 pair, so it's not like it will break the bank when I get around to that.

It's been so long since I rolled tubes of the 12AX7 variety, I honestly have forgotten what I actually do have. One of them must have 9 designated names to it (D-getter, long plate, triple mica and the list went on seemingly endlessly). I do distinctly remember that one of them sounded freakin' INCREDIBLE when it came to female voices and especially horns, but that one came with the expense of a slight loss in mid bass punch. But with that said, this is a different application. This one is for analog as opposed to digital.

If you have any suggestions, I can keep a lookout for them. ;)

Tom

I really liked the switch from new production Tung-Sol 12ax7s to new production Mullard Long-plate 12ax7s in my Jolida TubeDac III.

If you can find any, this would deepen the bass and improve the texture and slam in that region, while sounding reasonably similar to the Tung-sol in mids/highs.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The 5751 tubes do not have as high of gain ax=100, 5751=70.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325200109387?hash=item4bb76fdf4b:g:PuAAAOSwi25ihurm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234567407322?hash=item369d4e96da:g:EUQAAOSw3OJijvus

I recently bought some original Tung-Sol pairs. I've not had the pleasure of using them yet, recently some original TS have been popping up.
    The RCA'S I have used, good bass no sizzle in the top and good midrange.

No biggie I was just wondering if you got better results with new production, I personally found nos 50's-60's tubes more to my liking.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Same thing this weekend. I am tuning the speakers (MTM mostly) to the room. Woke up in the sweet spot this morning at 4:00am.

vyupdwmfcfr8.png

I am learning that what is inside of a speaker can be just as important....and in some cases, more important, than any kind of component, crossover or driver changes. I am on my 5th attempt (so far) at getting it spot on perfect within all of the parameters I am trying to achieve and am learning quite a bit along the way. It's amazing how just one little bit of change can affect the end result as to what hits your ears.

Don't get me wrong, they sounded great before but I am striving for even better. I have a feeling I will get to where I want to go and I should be able to get there within the next two attempts. My goal is to get it to where you still hear the wood within a string instrument without the overloading of certain frequencies at extreme louder volumes....while still achieving the crystal clear and wonderful "ping" (when called upon) that the Millennium tweeter does so well. Not an easy task...but I am getting much closer. Right now, it's a little "too clean". The adjustment I made last night got me closer to my goal but I didn't go far enough.

Even rolled some NOS 12AX7Ei Gold Pin tubes in the Jolida JD-9MKII. Tung Sol Gold-Pin 12AX7 tubes were in there and I think that this was somewhat of a lateral move...instead of a "Wow". Some things are different, some of those changes are attributes, while others are deficiencies. Basically, a different flavor.

m434i8f297on.png

As you see, I am still also working on alphabetizing the LP collection. Also got the parts in to rebuild my Nitty Gritty RCM. New pump, one way valves, all new tubing and new foam strips. She will be basically brand new again.

Really like those copper phase-plugs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jbreezy5
    This weekend I painted the wall behind my system (previously was a charcoal color) because like to be able to see through my ESLs and subjectively the lighter tone makes the room feel a bit more spacious.

19c02b3fttdk.jpeg

Plan to add some foliage to the container behind the right speaker to enhance dispersion; blinds accomplishing the same behind the left speaker.

Also added some acoustic foam treatments, and much to my satisfaction, I have finally attained a soundstage in my very small listening space!

ah33ftr6hvmw.jpeg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I had a lot of acoustic foam in my HT/spare stereo room (walls, and ceiling at first reflection point), and the room was dead silent. After a while I started removing some of the foam, and I realized that the sound improved. Now there are just two pieces on the rear wall, and one piece on each side wall.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jbreezy5
    I agree dead rooms don’t sound good; like all of the life is sucked out of the music.

Fortunately electrostats don’t suffer from ceiling and sidewall reflections due to their dipole design. I only needed to treat for front and rear-wave reflections.

I used measurements to attain a flat frequency response (as close as possible) at my listening position.

I still have a bit of a mid-bass bump at around 50-60Hz, but everything is much clearer and more satisfying now.

• treitz3
    Done with the tuning, for now.

Y'all would not believe how much of a change tuning your speakers makes. It's not simple, it's not easy and it takes many, many , many hours of experimentation, listening, back to the drawing board, adjusting, listening, further final tuning, listening....

You get the picture. While I may have been through the Devil's workshop and back within the past 3 weeks? I do believe I have achieved 95% of what I was looking to achieve (maybe more, we shall see).

What I wasn't expecting was what I did receive. All I will say for right now is that the countless hours without music, the build down, rip out, put back, screw in, adjust, put back together, take back apart, further fine tune, put back together, take back apart, seal this, check that, tighten this, cut this down some more, build back together, listen, blah, blah, blah seemingly endlessly?

The end result?

Man, the amp has only been running for about 3 or 4 hours now. It sounds really good. I mean, REALLY good. History has shown (or at least my ears have told me) that my amp sounds best after up and running for 3 days.

So....I listen during that time and wait. *fingers crossed*

Gotta be honest here....I think I nailed it. I have one more trick up my sleeve and if when the amp is truly warmed up? If it doesn't take care of what I think it will? I know exactly what to do.

Life is good. Back to listening...

Tom
  • treitz3
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    I agree dead rooms don’t sound good; like all of the life is sucked out of the music.

Trust me when I say that the same thing can be said about speakers.

I have heard my speakers adjusted by Bob Carver, VR3 (Trey) and myself via the inside of the speaker and also via the crossover units. I have literally heard them sound exactly like (read - indistinguishable from) a pair of Amazing Platinum's. I have heard them sound like a cheap rendition of a Bose speaker at their worst and I have heard them sound like a pair of TOTL Von Schweikert's......and everything in between. Including what they originally sounded like.

IME/IMO, the room can be deadened just as much as the speaker itself has the potential to be deadened.

I choose to tune the speaker(s) to the room, instead of the room to the speaker. Both are equally a PIA but IME, the benefits are greatly enhanced tuning the speakers to the room.

Danny Ritchie had a big influence in my decision making here....and probably not in the way that you think.

Tom

• jbreezy5

Trust me when I say that the same thing can be said about speakers.

I have heard my speakers adjusted by Bob Carver, VR3 (Trey) and myself via the inside of the speaker and also via the crossover units. I have literally heard them sound exactly like (read - indistinguishable from) a pair of Amazing Platinum's. I have heard them sound like a cheap rendition of a Bose speaker at their worst and I have heard them sound like a pair of TOTL Von Schweikert's......and everything in between. Including what they originally sounded like.

IME/IMO, the room can be deadened just as much as the speaker itself has the potential to be deadened.

I choose to tune the speaker(s) to the room, instead of the room to the speaker. Both are equally a PIA but IME, the benefits are greatly enhanced tuning the speakers to the room.

Danny Ritchie had a big influence in my decision making here....and probably not in the way that you think.

Tom

Danny Ritchie strikes me as a both/and (treat the room and the speaker) kinda guy from what I’ve seen of his videos. Although once he is pleased with the speaker measurements, it would seem to be a one-and-done kind of adjustment; static rather than plastic for speakers.

My preference is to buy a speaker that I like as it is and update the room around it, because I don’t consider myself to be “mechanically inclined”. Also because I don’t want to void my warranty.

If I alter the sound of the speaker to the room and I later move it to a different room I would have to alter the speaker each time to get the sound I want. For me that isn’t something I want to do.

I bet you get some great sounds with your tweaks, though, and enjoy watching your journey. 🙂

• treitz3
    My preference is to buy a speaker that I like as it is and update the room around it, because I don’t consider myself to be “mechanically inclined”. Also because I don’t want to void my warranty.

If I alter the sound of the speaker to the room and I later move it to a different room I would have to alter the speaker each time to get the sound I want. For me that isn’t something I want to do.

I bet you get some great sounds with your tweaks, though, and enjoy watching your journey. 🙂

Thank you, sir. I do appreciate the kind words. My listening room has not changed in 8 years, nor will it until I am 6 feet down (hopefully). If it does? I am the type of person to do it all over again if the rooms change.....in fact, I still might...with the same room!

I did listen to Sound Garden, Journey, (Insert Brain **** here), Metallica, along with a few select others that.....well, they "weren't so listenable" in the past. Tonight, I was able to listen to them as if they were reference albums. The things that they threw out within the stage? AWESOME!!!

With that said, the family is asleep and have been for (OH CHIT!) 4 hours but the sonics have always been the same. What sounds great at low volume? Sounds Re-freakin' 'DiCkULASSSSS at louder volumes.

Certain exceptions apply but one can "usually" tell when a bad recording or compression comes into play somewhat instantaneously, even at lower volumes. I am looking VERY forward to waking up in the AM!!!!

Long live the Audio Gods. *My hat is off to them tonight! Thank you!!!*

I have a little slice of heaven here on Earth.

Tom

• treitz3
    Phisch....that was the brain ****....

Later Tater's....

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited June 2022
    Jody, please tell us more as you listen!
    I am the type of person to do it all over again if the rooms change.....in fact, I still might...with the same room!

Well, I did such a thing. Multiple times over. It has been a month of tuning the system to the room and I am 98% there. Hubba, hubba, hubba....

What a PIA....while at the same time? Worthwhile. Educational. Fun!!! The end result? TOTALLY worth the effort. I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing to the LSiM's I have (They would be SO much easier than my mains...them son's-a-beaches are HEAVY!)

Tom

• treitz3
    Listened to music after one more final adjustment.

Thoroughly enjoying the evening before the Carolina boys get back together tomorrow.

Tom
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Put the Moon phono pre back into the system. Blacker backgrounds than the Mani, but a little less pace. My albums seem to have a little less energy.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jbreezy5
    Set up the Focal 705v in office system to give them a listen.

They sound smooth and balanced, but have limited bass depth and dynamics and will compress if pushed too hard. Boundary reinforcement is desirable if no sub is used.

The midrange driver has a nice humanity that some metal cones lack when operating within its limits. The tweeter is smooth and detailed, especially for an entry-level metal dome.

They are pretty ideal for listening in a low to moderate volume office system where one simply wants good, enjoyable sound, and don’t take up too much space.

Cabinets are pretty stout and pass the knuckle rap test.

• sparky14
    sparky14 Posts: 23
    edited June 2022
    Today I picked up a Schiit Saga S pre and Loki Mini Eq to go with my desk system, which has an Aegir amp driving R200s.

Sounds great, and since I am at my desk 6-8 hours a day I love it, but definitely not enough power to drive the R200s in anything but a small room. I had an old B&K 5.1 pre before which had bass management, so I was able to split off the lows before Aegir - then it got plenty loud. I do have some 95db sensitive Tekton Mini Lore Monitors in the living room, may have to test out the Schiits on them.
    Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.
  • jbreezy5
    sparky14 wrote: »
    Today I picked up a Schiit Saga S pre and Loki Mini Eq to go with my desk system, which has an Aegir amp driving R200s.

Sounds great, and since I am at my desk 6-8 hours a day I love it, but definitely not enough power to drive the R200s in anything but a small room. I had an old B&K 5.1 pre before which had bass management, so I was able to split off the lows before Aegir - then it got plenty loud. I do have some 95db sensitive Tekton Mini Lore Monitors in the living room, may have to test out the Schiits on them.

Any chance at a couple mini-reviews on your Schiit gear?

• sparky14
    sparky14 Posts: 23
    sparky14 wrote: »

Any chance at a couple mini-reviews on your Schiit gear?

Sure, I'll try to get one up next week.
    Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I'm up to F entering my LP's to Discogs...
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    OMG....I just alphabetized my LP collection.....that was very time consuming. I could not imagine doing that. I feel your pain though.....

Tom