Tube Amp released magic smoke...

My right channel decided to put on a show for me this morning, with the second tube from the left flashing a bright blue several times then going dark, as the fuses in both locations literally exploded in the sockets and the magic smoke appeared. I have opened it up, but everything looks clean internally, except the fuses. Transformers are also good, with no smell of burn or melted wires.

One resistor looks a little scorched in one spot, but everything else is clean. After 10 years of near daily use, I think now would be a good time to pull them from service and get them looked at... They will be out for the next six to eight weeks. Man, this sucks.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You sending them to Frank for repair?

😎
    I wish middle finger emoji was available on this site😂😎
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    This is good time to go Class D.

Uhmmmm…. NO!

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Do you have a backup?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You sending them to Frank for repair?

😎

Now, that there is the funniest damned thing I have read in a long time! Quick wit, Ivan...LOL

John, that bites. This is the number one reason I got out of having tube amps. Yours lasted a lot longer than any of mine but still. I just got tired of the maintenance aspect of tube amps. They are so finicky. They sound great, mind you but they are akin to having a nagging woman.....always needing your attention and denying you of what you want to do for whatever reason.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    maxward wrote: »
    Do you have a backup?

I will need to pull my amp that I use for my height channels. It is a Marantz 7025...

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    In all seriousness John I have one of these I could easily ship down to you if you need/want a loaner. LMK.

https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-amplifiers/2-91-arthur-2408n2.html
  • nooshinjohn
    That’s why I love this place. Thank you for the kindness but I’m covered. I haven’t use my hate channels yet anyway so I’ll give this Nampa chance to break in

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If you were closer I'd loan you my Belles. Who's doin the fixin? Hi-Tech? He has expedited if you're willing to pay a little more.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    I am taking them to a local high-end shop that has a tube guru on their staff. It may cost a grand to get them back up and running, but that will be money well spent. I am specifying a few changes as well to bring them up to date.

Bob used some redundant parts on these because he did not have some of the correct values when I was there. I was going to make the changes myself but never got around to it. This will get them cleaned up and they should be good to go for a very long time.

• Clipdat
    Is it a trustworthy shop?
  • nooshinjohn
    They handle McIntosh, and a host of others, so yes, I think so. I got out my high power flashlight and think I found the problem. There is a wire wound resistor on the 8 ohm speaker output that is cooked, causing it to short. This is the same fail I had several years ago and it was an easy fix.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited May 2022
    Clipdat wrote: »
    This is good time to go Class D.

No one should ever go Class D. ;)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Class D done right is excellent. Ken Ishiwata knew how to.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    F1nut wrote: »

Very few are done right........I'll have to get my ears on a Ken Ishiwata piece some time.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Jeff Rowland is another.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    F1nut wrote: »

Jesse, I love's ya' bro but seriously?

Can you please give me an example of one? (Not confronting, just curious as I would never buy one.....but may hear one in my travels...).

Please advise and thanks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited May 2022
    If anyone has one of the Ki Ruby's within the Tri-State area of N/SC? I will be more than willing to hook it up to my rig and I am sure the NC/SC boys will as well. I have heard Class D. Many systems. No issue. No complaints (well, for a normal system) but if you want to try it out and get a "real" evaluation?

We are planning another GTG very soon. We can try it out on multiple systems. If you talk the talk? Well.....ya' got's ta' be willing to walk the walk.

We do. The end result as to what hits our ears are all that matters...

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If anyone has one of the Ki Ruby's within the Tri-State area of N/SC? I will be more than willing to hook it up to my rig and I am sure the NC/SC boys will as well. I have heard Class D. Many systems. No issue. No complaints (well, for a normal system) but if you want to try it out and get a "real" evaluation?

We are planning another GTG very soon. We can try it out on multiple systems. If you talk the talk? Well.....ya' got's ta' be willing to walk the walk.

We do. The end result as to what hits our ears are all that matters...

Tom

Tri-State?
    You missed one...VA? just asking ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    TX behautch....that's within the tri-state, no?

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Tom
    Lol... I see is NC/SC...Tri=3, just was wondering who was #3
    Don't fry me bro ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Tom
    Lol... I see is NC/SC...Tri=3, just was wondering who was #3
    Don't fry me bro ;)

The third one in would be sloppy seconds...

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Not a good way to start the weekend. Hope its an easy fix John.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    Correct parts have been found and ordered. I am going to try and repair them myself by replacing a few parts in that path and replacing the tube...

• Clipdat
    *ToobsTheSameTempuhtureAsUrMouth'd*
  • nooshinjohn
    I am going to use this opportunity to get the part numbers off the transformers and order a couple sets of them. I have been wanting to do a new build so I guess no time like the present to get started.