Tube Amp released magic smoke...

2»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited May 2022
    I am going to use this opportunity to get the part numbers off the transformers and order a couple sets of them. I have been wanting to do a new build so I guess no time like the present to get started.

I thought Bob wound them himself...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I was told that my transformers were made by Pacific Transformer about 30 miles from my home... According to Bob, he started having them made because it was just too hard to keep winding them himself. Mine were among the first he had them do. Now all the production amps are sourced from Pacific.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    How long ago did you have your amps made? (around 9 years, correct?)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    treitz3 wrote: »
    How long ago did you have your amps made? (around 9 years, correct?)

Tom

10... I got the transformers ten years ago and they were completed in August of 2012
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Well, I got them up and working again, but another puzzling issue has presented itself. I now have a 4 to 5 bd shift favoring the left side. By this I mean that the center image has drifted left and it takes setting of 5 db to the right to pull things back to center. I am thinking this is a biasing issue, which would be out of my tools at home to accomplish, or there is a problem with the right channel speaker, as this speaker would have been sent the brunt of bad signal when things went pop.

Other than that, everything is sounding good again, but I need to get to the bottom of this center image shift.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    If the three speaker in question sounds good at all under any circumstances then it is OK
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2022
    VR3 wrote: »
    If the three speaker in question sounds good at all under any circumstances then it is OK

The speakers are sounding just good, it's just the center image being pulled left. I made the same repairs to both amps, so the replaced parts are the same in each. I must have missed something, just don't know what. Something else must have gotten cooked but not enough to fail yet.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Did you try swapping input channels to the two power amps (they're mono amps, right?) or swapping loudspeakers -- i.e., does the lower output on one channel isolate to the power amplifier?
  • nooshinjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Did you try swapping input channels to the two power amps (they're mono amps, right?) or swapping loudspeakers -- i.e., does the lower output on one channel isolate to the power amplifier?

I am going to try that tomorrow. For now I am just letting them run in for a bit and let the new parts settle in.

• nooshinjohn
    Turns out that the REL high-level connection was pulling the sound to the left. This was never a problem before, so I will need to play with it a bit and figure it out. The likely solution will be to add a second REL and run them as a pair. The problem with that is I only paid 600 bucks for the S/5 SHO I have now, so finding another at an affordable price will be a challenge to say the least.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
  • nooshinjohn
    I wonder if the momentary surge did something to the Longbow wireless transmitter...