What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    Found it thanks! The 55141082 had #8-32 magnet screws and the ??140981 had M4 x 0.7. :) So for my 7514xx79 ones I most likely need the metric. Figures lol.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Very precise. I found the flat head black oxide torx I was looking for. From China of course. Still looking for USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153856427968?hash=item23d28ec7c0:g:8MEAAOSw3FleY1yo

0b9ns4lzz5f1.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    Just ordered a Denon 103 with sapphire cantaleaver and nude elliptical and ebony body.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited April 2022
    Just ordered a Denon 103 with sapphire cantaleaver and nude elliptical and ebony body.

Congrats, great cartridge! I nuded and potted my 103r with no fatality. B)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    That baffle is... Amazing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Thanks Trey, these are my 4th and final Jr's.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    xschop wrote: Β»
    Thanks Trey, these are my 4th and final Jr's.

I think it is safe to say that you put the Magic(O) into those 5 jrs!

https://www.magicoaudio.com/enclosures

MAGICO has spent many years developing an enclosure system that successfully balances the 3 elements that constitute a proper loudspeaker enclosure: stiffness, mass, and internal damping. The graphs here show the spectral decay data across the range of typical enclosure construction methods.

No singular material can satisfy all of the properties desirable in a loudspeaker enclosure.

As stiffness increases, moving from MDF to phenolic resin to aluminum, cabinet vibrations are drastically reduced, although a sharpened Q of the resonance results in an audible ring.

By damping the high Q resonance via elaborate constrained layer damping we have eliminated all energy storage and audible resonance from our enclosure.

di3dpcy509u3.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited April 2022
    I foamed the inner baffles on this build so I went ahead and cut out the original baffle area. I gained about 50 cu. In airspace and will try a couple different port lengths before gluing one on to the inside.
    What I learned from building these, is that Polk's cabinet builders were all over the place or inebriated lol.

u1oskolzdgs7.jpg

o71gozevbki4.jpg

zcusznmi0l5e.jpg

Profiled the new tweeter bezels today also...

guj452fm4cgq.jpg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Be careful not to over dampen them. It affects the sound greatly. I learned that the hard way.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    he speaks truths!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    Hopefully with the extra baffle area removed, the foam doesn't displace the same volume that was removed.
    Sticky dome mounted. I think I like the factory black oxide Torx screw heads to match the MW....

wnnkl7k68cy1.jpg

• treitz3
    Roll off the edges of the baffle if you can. If not? Get a diffuser.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2022
    I think you should send pics to the CEO of Magico and maybe he will fly you out to the manufacturing plant in CA (perhaps in an electric airplane) for a free tour:

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/blogging-on-audio/134-jeff-fritz/961-magico-m9-loudspeakers-no-compromises-allowed

97lpc9c4irnt.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    treitz3 wrote: Β»
    Roll off the edges of the baffle if you can. If not? Get a diffuser.

Tom

Are you referring to a tweeter diffuser?
  • treitz3
    Yuppers. Sharp edges on a baffle creates unwanted reflections.

Tom
  • xschop
    edited April 2022
    I've got 2 versions of Trey's anti-diffraction pads I can experiment with.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    $16.99 at Michaels
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2022
    xschop wrote: Β»

Let us know what you think. I removed mine and I confirmed that I did not like what I heard so I did some measurements to see, just out of curiosity, if there was any visible difference in freq. response and I must say that despite the dip which I didn't used to have (aging tweets?), it was flatter in the 3kHz + region with both the MW and tweeter felts installed (left speaker only/right channel disconnected). It is mostly an audible thing though. Freq. response curves don't seem to show the whole picture at all. Cleaner, more transparent, more phase aligned and coherent sound could result in a less smooth curve but still sound much better. Just my opinion at this point:

No felts:

h6spdw2bf4t2.png

Tweeter felt only:

lfddxp5uvnuu.png

MW and Tweeter Felt:

hjbxczjwml3c.png

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • treitz3
    xschop wrote:

Each speaker is different, so I can't speak to yours but on my Tylers's? I have the MTM network with the diffusers. That worked better than just the tweeter diffuser.
    It is mostly an audible thing though. Freq. response curves don't seem to show the whole picture at all. Cleaner, more transparent, more phase aligned and coherent sound could result in a less smooth curve but still sound much better.

I don't do measurements but your observations mimic mine. The sound is much cleaner, the aura surrounding instruments and singers became more palpable, definition of location within the spatial locationality cues became sharper, certain instruments and passages got less "shouty", if you will and the overall presentation became more defined.

The best way to describe it would be akin to if you were looking at rocks at the bottom of a slow moving stream through window panes and then those panes were removed. It simply improved the definition of what you were looking at and it allowed you to spot more texture on the rocks, observe the minute air bubbles floating by and see slight color variations within the moss that's on the rocks. It's not a night and day difference but it sure does make what you "see" much clearer.

Tom
  • VR3
    Anti diffraction pads are the way to go! πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰
  • Gardenstater
    It sounded very smooth with the felts removed but all the life had been sucked out. Returning the felts the cymbals had long decay times and I had so much more airiness to the music.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2022
    Oh, and the combination of the Felts and Heavily Rounded Cabinet Edges (or an Anti-Diffraction Frame) is really the key in my opinion and experience.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Burning in caps still, will be switching out the Dayton cap on tweeter circuit to Clarity cap and see if I hear any difference. Can't imagine the tweeters sounding better...

These will also be getting seismic isolators next.

Power Port or leave well enough alone?
    Even at low listening levels, I can hear low midrange coming from ports, although no 'chuffing'.

63ym6lhrfsv6.jpg

w18e573he9db.jpg

w7rtx0r7g2b0.jpg

• 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    Success!! We’ll done!
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s