What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Clipdat wrote: »
    fg3fp0w8kumj.jpg
    Nice, Drew. Looks like Joe Coulson's old profile pic.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Looks like a Black Hole...don't get too close !! :) I'm seeing more and more of these large waveguides on tweeters. Probably also has the advantage of time aligning the tweeter to the midrange.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Looks like a Black Hole...don't get too close !! :) I'm seeing more and more of these large waveguides on tweeters. Probably also has the advantage of time aligning the tweeter to the midrange.

Wouldn't the voice coils need to be in alignment for that? It appears that the tweeter voice coils is inches in front of the woofer.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    They're gorgeous man. Thanks for sharing.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    @Clipdat Is there a review forthcoming on the S400 SE?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited April 2022
    Probably not since I just bought these for fun to check out and it's not a current production model since the SE crossover is no longer available for sale. I should actually clarify, I don't actually have the "SE" model, just the regular S400 with the SE crossovers. Sorry for the confusion, my mistake.

If anything, I would review the new S400 Mk2 but even those have been widely reviewed at this point, so it's unlikely to happen.

All that being said I'm loving these so far, really enjoyable speaker. They just don't seem to do anything wrong.
  • maxward
    Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Those crossovers weren’t cheap! I understand that the mk2 has some additional changes besides the improved crossovers. Can you compare/contrast these with the Metas?
  • Clipdat
    I could, but not on a Monday.
  • maxward
    I’ll wait for a better day.
  • Clipdat
    Haha. Thank you for your understanding :sleepy:
  • Clipdat
    Probably not since I just bought these for fun to check out and it's not a current production model since the SE crossover is no longer available for sale. I should actually clarify, I don't actually have the "SE" model, just the regular S400 with the SE crossovers. Sorry for the confusion, my mistake.

If anything, I would review the new S400 Mk2 but even those have been widely reviewed at this point, so it's unlikely to happen.

All that being said I'm loving these so far, really enjoyable speaker. They just don't seem to do anything wrong.

I'm stupid again, the SE crossover is actually still available for sale: https://buchardtaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/s400-crossover-upgrade-kit

Der duh der. Sorry.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 425
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Wouldn't the voice coils need to be in alignment for that? It appears that the tweeter voice coils is inches in front of the woofer.

The tweeter is recessed and the cabinet is also tilted back, putting the woofer in closer time alignment:

With the tweeter below the woofer, wouldn't you need to tilt the speaker forward to put the woofer (which is usually deeper) in physical alignment with the tweeter?

It's hard to tell which is deeper, the tweeter or the woofer. Tilting the speaker back to achieve time alignment would imply the tweeter is deeper.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2022
    No need to tilt it, just drop and plop. The drivers are already time aligned and sound wonderful.
    6h9nc6dtgtku.png
    m1zt2x1no3q4.png
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I “foamed” one of my RTi A7 mids & painted the feet from silver to black…

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190301/phase-plug-design-for-mw65xx#latest

…on the way to phase “pluggin’” them.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, I just got back from vacationing in Florida and I turned the rig on last night when I got home. While I was gone, I rec'd the book, "Getting Better Sound" by Jim Smith. So, I am reading that as I am listening to 3 albums that also came in while I was away.

I find it amazing that when I am on vacation, the one thing I wanted to do was get my butt back home to listen to the rig. Yesterday, it sounded good. Today, it sounds better. Tomorrow, it will be all warmed up and it will once again sound sublime.

During the drive up and down, the family listened to CD after CD.....just enjoying the music.

While I was down there, I had a little "accident", playing with my son at the resort. I was tickling him and somehow, he got loose. So, I chased him but when my foot hit the ground, the comforter was in between my foot and the floor. I didn't realize this and when I went to go take off? My footing slipped right out from under me.

I landed rather hard on my left knee onto a thin layer of carpet and very solid concrete underneath that. I hit it so hard, in fact, that it bruised the skin where I hit it. I can tell that it is swollen (read, very "tender") all of the way back to the rear part of the knee on the inside of the leg. Needless to say, it smarted pretty doggone good and I am traveling around the house at a staggeringly slow rate of speed.

Good day to relax and let the knee heal whilst listening to some new tunes. On the Hi-Fi.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I changed the tubing to the air bearing linear tone arm. It split, losing pressure so the arm drags. I guess I should have sprung for the audiophile grade tubing.....

2ixu4oprvffy.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I changed the tubing to the air bearing linear tone arm. It split, losing pressure so the arm drags. I guess I should have sprung for the audiophile grade tubing.....

Cheapskate!!

🤪

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2022
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I find oxygen-free clear tubing that has been cryogenically treated to work the best, especially if it has the 72v Audioquest dielectric packs properly employed on the output side of the line.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    John, you may think that those are a joke....thing is? The AQ CV-8's had staying power before the Transparent's came along. Those battery units work to keep the nasty stuff out and AQ in and of itself aren't bad quality cables IME. Plus, the batteries last a long time and they are generic batteries....not specialized.

😉

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    John, you may think that those are a joke....thing is? The AQ CV-8's had staying power before the Transparent's came along. Those battery units work to keep the nasty stuff out and AQ in and of itself aren't bad quality cables IME. Plus, the batteries last a long time and they are generic batteries....not specialized.

😉

Tom

I know they work... I have AQ Meteor/WEL/ and a Carbon HDMI with the 72v systems on them. They will never leave my rig.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Ah, your satire flew right over my head like a 747. Carry on.

Tom
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    John had me all charged up for AQ air tubing....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Built a jig and started the Morel/Dayton adapter plate prototypes....

9idgso0e8bbz.jpg

9p5gqt895ak3.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • treitz3
    You do not get anywhere by staying with the status quo.

Rock on brother!

Tom
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2022
    That black one is a plastic tweeter plate from the Dayton and the new aluminum billet ones will fit both the Dayton and the Morel and will also fit the tweeter cutouts on Polk speakers using the SL5xxx and SL6xxx?

Let me know if you find the unobtanium status black oxide flat head torx screws I am still looking for :) Do you happen to remember what the thread was on the Peerless? Some were metric and some SAE?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    I just saw this from a Polk XT20 Bookshelf. Kind of what I had in mind for a tweeter bezel to provide a waveguide and maybe some time alignment.

e3d0hy2r7wwx.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited April 2022
    That black one is a plastic tweeter plate from the Dayton and the new aluminum billet ones will fit both the Dayton and the Morel and will also fit the tweeter cutouts on Polk speakers using the SL5xxx and SL6xxx?

Let me know if you find the unobtanium status black oxide flat head torx screws I am still looking for :) Do you happen to remember what the thread was on the Peerless? Some were metric and some SAE?

Yes, either Morel or Dayton plate can be set up on the jig and trimmed down to 3.755 for most older round-plate Polk tweeter cutouts.
    The only advantage the Morels have over the factory Daytons is the cast-alloy faceplate.
    Another caveat is that I prefer the Dayton/Morel dome throat profile even over the RD0's small-angled profile. I'm typing this listening to the 5Bs directly on work bench with billet Dayton plates' rounded throat profile. I can clearly hear the stereo separation, even moreso than when I have the RDO plates installed. With the RDO plates installed I had the cabinets toed-in while always at the work bench.

I believe I posted the thread size differences in the SL2000 Hack thread. ASE for US peerless and metric for Danish I believe.

The Dayton/Morels are black oxide Torx M4 x 0.7 x 9mm
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.