Musical Fidelity Tri Vista integrated

Options

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    t have as big of a following.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Couple hundies?? Pffft...one Karaoke gig for you. :)

Chances are, you won't part with either no matter what. That T&A doesn't come up much either.

True on both parts. T+A doesn't have a huge USA presence. They make some darn good stuff but, just not a big USA presence.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    Still there!!!
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    Options
    I wonder why they don't mention the extra set of RCA's on the back. Looks like it had some work or a mod done I guess?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Yeah good eye, I wonder what this is:
    bz236fhjjjtq.png

Stock:
    dv3ov3l4o39x.png

HT bypass maybe?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Those are the awesome outs, they cause intrigue and wonder while bringing about superior audio playback
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah either that or it's just a secondary pre-out.
  • VR3
    Options
    Possibly... But that wouldn't be a good thing really. The pre outs there are already secondary (it has built in amplifiers) so that would be a third set!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Personally I need at least six pre-outs.
  • VR3
    Options
    That would accommodate 12 subwoofer so that is close to the current recommended number!
  • erniejade
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Still there!!!

Your killing me over here!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VR3
    Options
    Just do it, call them and ask for free shipping
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    There used to be a variety of third party modification packages offered for Musical Fidelity products by Underwood and Parts Connexion, I think. I'd ask TMR about what was modified first if I was interested. It doesn't look like it got the full set of upgrades that were possible. It could also be that no well thought out upgrades were done but one of the input sets was rerouted for some reason.

Good eye from Osarion on that one!
  • erniejade
    Options
    I am waiting for Ben from TRM to get back to me on what the extra white RCA's are. They did not notice it until asked about it. Thanks all for pointing it out.
  • Emlyn
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If it did get some good upgrades inside they might want to charge more for it.

:)

Parts Connexion used to do some good stuff with upgrading parts but my guess it's not Chris Johnson's work.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    If it did get some good upgrades inside they might want to charge more for it.

:)

Parts Connexion used to do some good stuff with upgrading parts but my guess it's not Chris Johnson's work.

It depends on what they did and who did it. If it was a pro, I am surprised they used 2 white RCA's if there is supposed to be a L&R. Also if they messed with the signal path, that might be a big stay away from. When I hear back from Ben, I will let everyone know.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2022
    Options
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    It probably combines the two pre-outs for stereo mono put...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    Options
    My guess is a previous owner wanted to add a new pair of subwoofer outputs.

Should have just got a six pack of Rel subs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IgdeSheak&t=1208s
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,084
    edited February 2022
    Options
    FYI: The MF Tri-Vista in the link below was listed on US Audio Mart on February 26 and sold mid February. It was listed and sold for $975 with pickup only in Clearwater FL.
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649819942-musical-fidelity-tri-vista-300-integrated-amplifier/
    It did have an issue related to the source selection dial on the right side of the unit, and the usual problem with remote volume up/down not working.
    I tried to rationalize two eight hour drives and the repair costs to purchase it. I communicated with the seller several times and about a week ago it sold. I was glad in a way.
    Personally, I don't like mods like those in the TMR Tri-Vista in this thread. It's the perfectionist in me. I would also expect to have the original packaging for the asking price in the ad. The original packaging indicates to me the "chain of custody" has been followed. Just me thinking out loud.
    Just 500 of them made.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The remote volume control issue is related to the remote, not the integrated. When using a Harmony or other universal the volume function works perfectly. Bottom line, MF remotes suck.

$975.00 was a steal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    Agree 1k is crazy.

I haven't had any issues with their remote though?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    It’s now on eBay, it’ll sell fast.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    Options
    Just remember that most all of TMR gear is consignment. That means the actual owner may be flexible on the gear, always good to ask
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Yeah,That was a good catch, I am curious to what it is.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    It’s now on eBay, it’ll sell fast.

And Audiogon..
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The remote volume control issue is related to the remote, not the integrated. When using a Harmony or other universal the volume function works perfectly. Bottom line, MF remotes suck.

$975.00 was a steal.

@Jesse, yes it is a problem with the remote.

I determined how to fix those remote control units. The membrane buttons (volume mainly) on the rubber pads inside must be cleaned and painted with a silver conductive compound. I ordered a small bottle from Thailand on eBay; then I saw that CAIG LABORATORIES (DeoxIT) makes something similar and ordered on Amazon. I found both work.

jfvv5iejmczn.png
    7nspgomgoo7q.png

The most difficult part of the repair is opening the darn Remote device. I used some tools from my
    iFixit iOpener - Heat Pad Adhesive Opening Tool for Tablet, Phone, Laptop Repair.

On one remote, I had to repair a trace with another CAIG LABORATORIES product.

You are right the Clearwater MF Tri-Vista was a steal.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,475
    Options
    I've also had an issue with the remote, however, it translated to the URC MX-850 I use.

The effect is as if I'm holding the volume button up or down. I notice it happens in low light. To stop it without powering off the unit, I've found that momentarily placing my finger over the remote sensor on the integrated breaks the command. Can't remember if pulling the batteries from the remote also stops it. I'm usually bolting up from the couch to stop the volume going to 11.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Options
    That is so strange. I wonder since I was using a powered IR repeater is one of the reasons I never experienced issues
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,475
    Options
    That would make sense, because the IR transmitter would be covering the sensor on the integrated. I might try that. Which repeater do you use? I've used those cheap M-price ones at work before without issue.

I don't recall having issues with remote control volume when I have sufficient light in the space. I need to revisit that and test further.

Can't remember if I downloaded the device codes or learned them in from the remote. I've noticed sometimes with learning in commands that the remote can seem glitchy at times. For instance, the Roku down arrow can sometimes jump two rows while navigating content. In some apps, repeat works for directional scrolling, but not in all directions. Just one of those things way down the list of things to do.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Options
    I was using this one, worked perfect

IR Repeater System - Hidden IR Control System for Home Theater Infrared Extender System Kit, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016PM63W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WDA0DSBJ86BG1SK5CKZT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1