No audio-related purchases for a year

I made a personal goal for myself, in order to save money so I can eventually GTFO of California: No audio-related purchases for a year.

Aaaaand it's been two weeks and I'm already having night sweats and terrible anxiety, like an crack addict who quit cold turkey.

Just kidding, but I am back to checking tmraudio.com and hifishark.com several times a day. Hey it's still OK to look, right? As long as I don't touch...

Oh, I also put a disclaimer on my goal: CD and vinyl music purchases are still OK. But I'm almost completely out of room to store physical media, so no big threat there.

So, how long have you gone without purchasing any audio gear?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2021
    1st step is admitting you are an Audiophiliac...so you have done well

I went 2 years before diving into this Legend HT system...pretty good, and I still feel good

I was on an 8+ year binge
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Mmmmmm

That would be tough
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    @Clipdat - MUST…BE…STRONG!!!

That’s a great goal, btw…leaving CA, that is. 😄
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Good for you Drew. Knowing you, you will do it. ;)

Did you keep the Pass Labs amp? That might be a great amp to take a long pause with.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Bought my JC5 in Feb and my Aurender in April. Nothing major since then. The occasional record but no new gear. I keep looking at DACs but can't get myself serious because the current configuration just sounds good. My hobbies tend to ebb and flow though. This all snowballed when I bought new speakers in Sep 2019.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    One day at a time, Drew. To answer your question, I have gone for years. These were mostly the years when the boys were growing up. Lately, not more than about a year.

Good luck with your plan to get out. East? North? South?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2021
    I forgot to mention my last year and a few months of trying to not buy anything else.

Hey, I look at local ads all the time. Can't help it. I have the $ now to purchase higher priced stuff. I've seen some cool gear and speakers but I walk away from the computer and do other things but still toss the ads around in my head. It's still tough BUT...common sense has prevailed for me. I don't need anything else that's OLD. Now if a newer Parasound amp or pre-amp comes up for sale for cheap... :p:s I'll probably buy it/them. Or Pass Labs amps too.

Started August before last. Did alright until I saw an ad for a free Pioneer elite receiver. I was the first caller. :p Does FREE stereo stuff count? :D

Then those Hartley's a few months ago came up and I wanted to re-foam some speakers again so I made him an offer. He accepted. :)

That's been it. Not bad for a collector/hoarder. ;)

If I can do what I did, you should be fine...as long as you're happy with what you have now.

That seems to be the crux of your plan. I think you've acquired some Beautiful gear and those PCM upgraded speakers...wow. B)

I'd love to hear your stereo stuff and vice-versa.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Tony M wrote: »

Did you keep the Pass Labs amp? That might be a great amp to take a long pause with.

Hey Tony. It had some functional issues so I quickly sent it back to Pass, I don't think I will review it.
    maxward wrote: »

I'd like to move back to Wisconsin (where I used to live before I moved out here 17 years ago), so that I can be closer to my parents.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I just sold my khorns last week so some of that $$ has to go back into the hobby to keep the ball rolling. I try not to go too long without buying something audio related as life is too damn short to deny yourself.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Pretty sure the last thing I bought that wasn't either for replacing a broken component or new music was my Martin Logans back in January of 2020. money stopped me at first, and then time, and now other hobbies are keeping me away. I find the best way to get over an addiction is to start a new one ;) Good luck Drew!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I went from, oh, 2013-2019 where I bought/sold VERY little. Then the floodgates reopened.....But the 1997-2010ish era? WHOOOOO BOY.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    @TroyD

1997 was when it all started for me, with a brand new pair of Boston Acoustics CR9s in vinyl walnut finish; negotiated $20 discount, to boot!

Good times
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Hey Tony. It had some functional issues so I quickly sent it back to Pass, I don't think I will review it.
    maxward wrote: »

I'd like to move back to Wisconsin (where I used to live before I moved out here 17 years ago), so that I can be closer to my parents.

The spouse willing to move from cali to Wisconsin? Y’all must really hate it there lol
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    The spouse willing to move from cali to Wisconsin? Y’all must really hate it there lol

Well she can get onboard or she can stay in CA, up to her.
  • So,you have to save money to leave Cali. Is there a “leaving California tax”?
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    ****! There goes my source for great deals... :)

Good luck getting out of Commifornia...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    So,you have to save money to leave Cali. Is there a “leaving California tax”?
    Probably.
    Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    There is if you consider the costs associated with physically moving across the country, along with the down payment on a house.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    You should move to the dark side. (Oregon). I'll hook you up brotha!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I understand your situation. I will be retiring in 2 years. At that point we will sell the house and get out of NY. The taxes are stifling. I get it.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Spawn
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    :'(:'(:'(

Someone play Taps....
  • Clipdat
    Nah that's too depressing, I prefer this, it's more upbeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2021
    Excellent movie!

Pure Mississippi Blacksnake...
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2021
    The problem with people leaving California is they will vote the same way they did there, and create another P00P Hole somewhere else, Calirado is headed down the same path...

Edit: Most people.