Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    edited July 2021
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I'd pay 1500.00 for those 1.2tl's and yes they are TL's as that have the SL3000 tweeters.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'd pay 1500.00 for those 1.2tl's and yes they are TL's as that have the SL3000 tweeters.

I'm sure you're correct, I was going by the I.D on the back label, I thought TL's were stated if so.

https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/3361346-f75ada0a-polk-sda-srs-12-tl-speakers.jpglet0gy09325r.png

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited July 2021

Careful dealing with this guy. He had these on FB marketplace and I agreed to purchase them for $500 + shipping. The next day he raised them to $1000 without telling me. When I asked what was up he said he had so much interest that he decided to raise the price.

He now has them for $700 but has commented to me that he would take $500. I told him No Thanks.

Update:
    I just went to FB to get the link and they are now priced at $500.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/904208026352351/posts/3862243100548814

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Flip flop a flippity flop and you don't stop to the bang bang boogity beat. Some people are just plain ****'s. Agreed to do something... Just do it right ?
  • pitdogg2

I'm sure you're correct, I was going by the I.D on the back label, I thought TL's were stated if so.

https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/3361346-f75ada0a-polk-sda-srs-12-tl-speakers.jpglet0gy09325r.png

you very well could be correct and they may have just put the tweeters in them. We all know Polk was very good at using up older stuff (labels) before using the newer stuff. easy enough to tell pull tweeter and look at the connection. I'm also going by the binding post they look correct for the 1.2tl
  • Mike Reeter

you very well could be correct and they may have just put the tweeters in them. We all know Polk was very good at using up older stuff (labels) before using the newer stuff. easy enough to tell pull tweeter and look at the connection. I'm also going by the binding post they look correct for the 1.2tl

Either way, they're not a bad buy...

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited July 2021

Either way, they're not a bad buy...
    Thanks for the information guys! My email was blowing up on these 2 pairs. I'm gonna take a look on Saturday! He wasn't sure if the 1.2's were TL's or not, as it was not labeled as such.

Ivan - If I pull one of the tweeters out, what should I look for? @pitdogg2
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    la2vegas wrote: »

Those look like they are in walnut! Nice!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr

Probably spot on there Ivan. Low SN means they had some extra labels from the non TL models or something.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    verb wrote: »
    Ivan - If I pull one of the tweeters out, what should I look for? @pitdogg2

The factory quick connects should be two different sizes and crimped the same. If someone came along and just switched out the tweeters one quick connect would not be the same factory crimp and possibly look much different.
    I'm fairly certain those are factory 1.2tls as the red binding post seem to be on the correct side.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    No doubt that they are 1.2TL's like pitdogg said because they have the SL3000 tweeters. If you decide to pull one of the tweeters, the negative white wire post on the tweeter is larger than the positive post.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • verb
    Thanks fellas! I’ve got an appointment this Saturday to review them!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2021
    Thanks fellas! I’ve got an appointment this Saturday to review them!

Even if they're not tl's it's not difficult to tl the XO's. On my pair, the owner I purchased them from @Neskahi had similar questions re. 1.2 vs tl's when he purchased them. As mentioned above, the transitional nature of Polk and using previous series parts contributed to the speculation. Conclusion was they were possibly tl'd at a later date. Just checked the s/n on my right speaker and it's 6240...less than 100 off from what you're looking at. Drivers in mine are from 1989.

I paid $1500 in 2010ish, considered it a fair price, still own them and have zero regrets. Throw all the CP upgrades at them and you, my friend, should be a happy camper. Good luck.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • michaeljhsda2
    They're TL's. The label on the back is leftover stock that Polk notoriously uses so you can't rely on that at all. To be absolutely certain, look at the tweeter wire harness Molex connector where it attaches to the crossover board and note that all 4 of the white wires are on the + and the colored wires are on the - It's wired in reverse polarity and it's supposed to be that way and if they're not, then the person that did the conversion didn't finish the job correctly.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • verb
    As always, I knew I could get the info here from the experts! These babies will replace my current 1st gen SRS's. The only thing I did to them was swap out the tweeters.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Hope you get them Verb. My 1.2 TL's are great, however, I'm tempted to get those 2.3TL's to add to the collection.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • verb
    Hope you get them Verb. My 1.2 TL's are great, however, I'm tempted to get those 2.3TL's to add to the collection.

Thank you sir! The guy said there was some wiggle room on the 2.3TL’s so I’d say go for it!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    As always, I knew I could get the info here from the experts! These babies will replace my current 1st gen SRS's. The only thing I did to them was swap out the tweeters.

Let me know what you decide to do either way.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Are there TL’s at Verb’s house?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Mike Reeter
    Yes!
    More to come, but I verified the SL-3000 tweeters, and un-molested wiring harness by pulling a tweeter out. Thanks for the tip Ivan! @pitdogg2

eufkaovxllkj.png
    h4jd0vly01dh.png

Date code is January 1989 on the tweeter, so an early build.

Did the pressure check by pushing in the passive radiator and they seem fine.

Got my buddies to help lug these downstairs (OMG I had forgotten how heavy they are!)

1zixcxf8sys3.png
    5svyizess08y.png

Cabinets and grilles are in very very nice shape, you could call it near Verb minty! Except of course the coating on the LH XO mounting plate. Looks like the previous owner used a solvent or something on it.

The IC cable is original, and in excellent condition also.

And, best of all, got the price down to 13 hundie!

Have not hooked them up yet, as I'm exhausted, but I'll be doing some A/B with the other SRS's, before I let those go up for sale!

Great catch! At a GREAT price!!

• audioluvr
    Any discernable difference between the old ones?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    Loving the SL3000 tweeters! The RD0194’s still seemed a bit spikey at times. These are smooth!
  • pitdogg2
    Loving the SL3000 tweeters! The RD0194’s still seemed a bit spikey at times. These are smooth!

Let me tell you, the RD-0198's are easily 5x better than those SL3000's.
    I couldn't believe the difference in my 2.3tl's.