If you had $4,000 for a amp????

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    I've installed and always like Musical Fidelity when I work at a stereo shop. I've forgotten about them.

Thanks!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Yeah man! Come to PF and you can dig MF in all it's splendor.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,773
    Twas not I Chris. Good luck getting through this phase and with your reward of a great amp and super model.

Fixed it.

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • CH46E
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    CH46E wrote: »
    The Carver Ravens will be right up your alley......

IIRC, you and Bob built some custom right?

I do regret selling my Carver TFM45 that I had rebuilt by Greg Garska to @Gardenstater!!!

Correction it was
    @honestaquarian that you sold it to

Thanks man. I dont know i always get them two mixed up!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    I'm very intrigued by the Musical Fidelity M6S PRX. Seems to be very well liked. Can't find much on the specs. But it is rated for 230 at 8 ohms. So for my 3 to 4 ohm infinities, it should have more than enough power. Everyone says it will drive difficult loads with ease. No 4 or 2 ohms specs can be found. At least not by me. I like that several reviews talk about how well it controls (with vicegrip like hold) the drivers.

And its only $2,500. Besides the obvious power increases with the $4,000 M8 amps, are there other reasons to spend double on the M8? I have not read as much on the M8 yet. About to do that now.

Here is an article about the M6S.

https://www.audioappraisal.com/musical-fidelity-m6sprx-power-amplifier-reviewed/

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Really appreciate it.

We did meet with a realtor today and I'm pretty sure even after we split the equity I'm walking away with a considerably higher amount than I was guessing last week. So a new amp is for sure happening.
    I don't recall what retailer I saw had a in home risk free trial. I like that idea.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    The husband of one of my wife's friends was over here today. He has somewhere north of 75k invested in his system. He was so mesmerized by the performance of my humble setup that he spent the better part of three hours trying to figure out how some 30 year old Polks and a pair of home-made amps can destroy his Krell/Wilson combination...
    Get the Carvers...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    edited July 2021
    MF normally publishes 4 ohm specs if applicable, so I suggest asking them about that.

Edit: Looking at their spec info now I see they've stopped listing 4 ohm specs...weird.

But wait...the M8xi integrated shows the following.
    Power Output (20Hz - 20kHz): 550 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (870W into 4 Ohms); Peak 1.6kW into 2 Ohms
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,182
    I picked up a Mark Levinson No. 431 a while back and if the performance of this little beast is any indication of the entire line I’d say you couldn’t go wrong with anything here !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,456
    edited July 2021
    With older amps it's nice to know if they had seen any service. My Krell KSA-250 was delivered from New York during an ice storm by Ed Savinon, the SRT king. It saved the day as I had been auditioning amps for my new at the time Salk SS8's. Bright, shrill highs? Nope. I was told this amp melted solder on fuse holders on a pair of speakers cranked to beyond 11 just to see what would happen...lol Been recapped at factory. Nice thing about Krell, if they still do it, they will tell you service history when you provide serial number. Some folks have been known to say things were recapped but they can't offer any proof.

Good luck in your quest.

xnnqt0bcmzum.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    With older amps it's nice to know if they had seen any service. My Krell KSA-250 was delivered from New York during an ice storm by Ed Savinon, the SRT king. It saved the day as I had been auditioning amps for my new at the time Salk SS8's. Bright, shrill highs? Nope. I was told this amp melted solder on fuse holders on a pair of speakers cranked to beyond 11 just to see what would happen...lol Been recapped at factory. Nice thing about Krell, if they still do it, they will tell you service history when you provide serial number. Some folks have been known to say things were recapped but they can't offer any proof.

Good luck in your quest.

xnnqt0bcmzum.png

I've sat in the sweet spot for this amp, there is nothing bright about it. It's a beast !! I wouldn't hesitate one bit to grab one if I had the chance.
  • TroyD
    I'll bet you could jump start a Hyundai with that thing! Sexy looking too...
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    I've sat in the sweet spot for this amp, there is nothing bright about it. It's a beast !! I wouldn't hesitate one bit to grab one if I had the chance.

That's my finding also with the ksa250, but I don't know what I'm talking about apparently.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,896
    edited July 2021
    @nooshinjohn , i wouldn't think krell and wilson would be a good match, no sweetness in the match :D
    check conversation with a master: dan d'agostino parts 1&2 by audio excellence canada where dan discusses what was wrong with the nos krell amps.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    edited July 2021
    I've found the best way to find a new piece of gear is to just start buying random stuff and eventually you will find "the one".

As long as you buy it right you can usually sell it for roughly the same or more, maybe a small loss.

Synergy is the key. It's not about price, brand, specs
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    edited July 2021

I've been wanting to chime-in . . . but CP has little love for Rogue amps. That said, I sent my M-180s into the factory for the Dark upgrade

NOT disappointed in the least. Great amps, great company, great CS . . . no regrets!

Short list material

Edit: IMHO the asking price is a tad high. . . . by 5 bones. Maybe he'll accept a reasonable counter offer ...
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    CJ MF2500 for sale near me for 1500, and a Mcintosh MC2300 for 4k...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 864
    VR3 wrote: »
    I've found the best way to find a new piece of gear is to just start buying random stuff and eventually you will find "the one".

As long as you buy it right you can usually sell it for roughly the same or more, maybe a small loss.

Synergy is the key. It's not about price, brand, specs

I agree with this approach and it is what I tend to do as well. If you buy smart you can try a ton of nice gear and not lose your ****. It’s more time consuming than buying one piece and being done but it is fun to try other brands and it allows you to fine tune the sound you are after.

You just may find some stuff that people gush over isn’t all that great and then there may be some lesser known gear that’ll really make you go WOW!
  • TroyD
    Yup, I've done it for a couple decades....got to try a LOT of different gear and at the end of the day, for not a TON of coin. Buy. Flip. Buy. Flip....now, I finally got to the point were I'm good with what I have but it took years to get there.
  • audioluvr
    edited July 2021
    GlennDog wrote: »

I've been wanting to chime-in . . . but CP has little love for Rogue amps. That said, I sent my M-180s into the factory for the Dark upgrade

NOT disappointed in the least. Great amps, great company, great CS . . . no regrets!

Short list material

Edit: IMHO the asking price is a tad high. . . . by 5 bones. Maybe he'll accept a reasonable counter offer ...

If I was going to go tube amplification it'd probably be either these or the Carver 350 Ravens.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    Carver's great, too . . . and Garska is basically in my backyard. Great technician!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    Carver's great, too . . . and Garska is basically in my backyard. Great technician!

Greg Garska is who rebuilt my (not mine anymore) TFM45

I'm not really sure I want to go the Tube route for the amp. Ill be to tempted to rolls tubes and that ain't cheap.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021

Nice McIntosh for sure. But at that age it would be out of my set budget after a refresh.

The more reading I do, the more I think I want to go with a new unit.
    And I like some retailers have nonrisk in home trials.

• audioluvr
    edited July 2021
    Even new stuff can have bugs. Home trials are a great way to go though as you are only paying return shipping ( in the long run ) if it doesn't have the synergy you are looking for.

Just remember we're here to help... Spend your money. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• nooshinjohn

Nice McIntosh for sure. But at that age it would be out of my set budget after a refresh.

The more reading I do, the more I think I want to go with a new unit.
    And I like some retailers have nonrisk in home trials.
    This is an audio forum, and you came here looking for advice on equipment. This is not a place to discuss your personal finances please kindly take that conversation somewhere else. We’re just here to help you spend your money.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• CH46E
    audioluvr wrote: »

Short list material

So what is done in the "Dark" upgrade? Their website just says the price tag for the upgrade which is impressive. I loved the review they reference for the 180 compared to the NP 30.5 saying if you want the tube sound get the solid state NP and if you want that solid state slam sound get the Rogue tube :D

Sorry for the derail Chris...

Not at all bud. I actually was wondering the same thing. I went to the web site but not a lot on the upgrade.

Heck, other than a power increase, im trying to figure out why the Musical Fidelity M8 is double the cost of the M6. Thier web site sucks. Very very limited info on what you are getting.
  • F1nut
    audioluvr wrote: »

Short list material

So what is done in the "Dark" upgrade? Their website just says the price tag for the upgrade which is impressive. I loved the review they reference for the 180 compared to the NP 30.5 saying if you want the tube sound get the solid state NP and if you want that solid state slam sound get the Rogue tube :D

Sorry for the derail Chris...

Not at all bud. I actually was wondering the same thing. I went to the web site but not a lot on the upgrade.

Heck, other than a power increase, im trying to figure out why the Musical Fidelity M8 is double the cost of the M6. Thier web site sucks. Very very limited info on what you are getting.

Download the user manuals as they have a bit more spec info.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    I did. No help at all. Just a typical user manual.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2021
    I did. No help at all. Just a typical user manual.

The full specs are listed showing the differences including that the M8 500 is a fully balanced design. The M6 is not.

President of Club Polk