If you had $4,000 for a amp????

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited July 2021
    Texas cat likes to warm his as....., posterior on the 250.

One area to mod on the KSA series are the soft start resistors. They get hot (400F) and can toast some caps near them. Simply move the resistors to the opposite side of board and let the front panel take the heat. I've seen one fellow use metal case resistors and mount them to rear of front panel.

The burnt stuff isn't mine. I moved the resistors when I got the amp.

i7n8q5e7hj5z.jpg
    275tjbb0lsq0.jpg
    4cxq8epzhfxx.jpg
    e7vq698qhl23.jpg
    fcq4vbwtakr4.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    Jesus, you could power a Naval Rail Gun with that toridial PS! Good lord!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    5j6gbjt0c2ua.png

Rich's amp with a 33.3 platter mat.
    Yes that torrid is uuuge😊
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    Yes that torrid is uuuge😊

I believe that transformer is 4.5 kva.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    CH46E wrote: »
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Carver's great, too . . . and Garska is basically in my backyard. Great technician!

Greg Garska is who rebuilt my (not mine anymore) TFM45

I'm not really sure I want to go the Tube route for the amp. Ill be to tempted to rolls tubes and that ain't cheap.

Minimal tube rolling options are available on the Rogue M-180s. Crazy, eh? given each mono block has 7 tubes.
    AFAIK, there are no substitutes for the 4 KT120s. The 2 driver tubes are 12au7 and "they" claim you'll be hard pressed to find a substitute that makes a diff.

The single 12ax7 input tube is where roll'n is done. They can be had for cheap, but you can easily spent a couple hundie for a matched pair, too!

Have fun shop'n B)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • CH46E
    F1nut wrote: »
    I did. No help at all. Just a typical user manual.

The full specs are listed showing the differences including that the M8 500 is a fully balanced design. The M6 is not.

Thanks Jesse. So besides the extra power (that I dont really NEED per say), is the fully balanced feature a serious upgrade that should almost certainly make a audiable difference. Keep in mind my pre ampndoes not have balanced outputs. Not sure that makes a difference. I mean would I even be able to benefit from the balanced design if I'm using RCA cables? Not sure one has to do with the other at this point.

Thanks again.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    IME, extra power isn't so much for playing louder as it is for playing effortlessly.

This is good article about fully balanced amplifiers.
    https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/the-fully-balanced-power-amplifier-advantages-and-design-challenges/amp/
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    F1nut wrote: »
    IME, extra power isn't so much for playing louder as it is for playing effortlessly.

THIS

This is a quality that I’ve chased for years....and it’s not something that most systems can truly do convincingly. When you find a system that can do it.....regardless of whatever other shortcomings it may have, it is addictive.

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    edited July 2021
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2021
    I actually ran across some powerful amps on Chi Craigslist before seeing this post.

Odyssey Kismet monoblock amps - $2,900
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/d/chicago-odyssey-kismet-monoblock-amps/7352655445.html

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/odyssey2/1.html
    6moons wrote:
    Specifications: Klaus is not all that keen on pushing power output as a key specification (sort of like Rolls Royce stating that the motor of your Phantom V had adequate horsepower). He believes instead that goose bumps are a more useful criterion for evaluating product performance. However, for those who must know he points out that the nominal power output is 175 watts RMS into 8 ohms, 320 watts into 4 ohms and roughly 600 watts into 2 ohms. Hobbyists report that the Odyssey amps are not only stable into 1 ohm but also that the power output easily reaches 1KW into that impedance. The DIY crowd also prefers these specific Sanken transistors as they can deliver in home-built designs a staggering 1000 watts into 8 ohms or 2000 watts into 4.

Usher 1.5 amplifier - $1,800
    https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ele/d/grand-rapids-usher-15-amplifier/7355370247.html

https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_power_amps_e.html
    TNT-Audio wrote:
    The Usher Reference 1.5
    This amp is a real monster! It weighs 40 kilos and is enormous. The big handles at the front and the back are not there just for show, you really need them! It delivers 2 times 150 watts into 8 ohms and up to 500 into loads as low as 1 ohm, for a single channel! The amp is clearly heavily biased into class A, although there's no specification telling me how many real class A watts it actually produces. The output stage uses 8 pairs of transistors in parallel for each channel and the heat sinks are gigantic. I have to admit that I have had an eye on this amp for a while now. It seems to be this biggest amp that I could possible afford, and probably with the highest amount of class A watts too. Very impressive.

Also, have you thought about one of the powerful new tech amps that are available today?

LSA Voyager GAN 350 - 350wpc Balanced Power Amplifier $3,000.00
    https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-electronics
    Here is some info on the amp:
    • 350W per Channel into 8 ohms
    • 650W per Channel into 4 ohms
    • 2 ohms stable
    • Sensitivity: Two volts input for 350 watts out
    • > 108dB SNR and Dynamic Range
    • < 0.01% THD+N (8ohms, 200W, 20Hz to 20kHz)
    • Distortion closed loop with no feedback < 0.08% THD+N (8 ohms, 350W, 20Hz to 20kHz)
    • Frequency Response (8Ω) 20Hz-20kHz +/-0.5dB/ 20-40KHZ at -3Db
    • Direct coupled with no output caps
    • 96% Efficiency Reduces Heat and System Size
    • Integrated, non-intrusive over-current, short-circuit and over-voltage protection
    • Size: 17" wide x 3.5" high x 14" deep
    • Weight: 30 pounds

Our new LSA 350 watts/ch power amplifier, Voyager GAN 350, is now shipping. This fully balanced amplifier is a breakthrough product featuring a GAN (Gallium Nitride) FET Output Power Stage as found in products selling for many times our $3,000.00 price. This is a very sophisticated design and not just a Class D amp with GAN FET's. The current competition sells for $32,000.00, $18,500.00, $15,000.00 and $7500.00 with 80 watts.

Our GAN Output Power Stage provides even better Audio performance through the reduced THD+N and IMD that is only afforded by the newest in eGaN FET Output Device technology. Both of these enhancements are prohibitive with the legacy Silicon FET technology due to both the inherent limitations of the processes, and the resulting sacrifices in the desired efficiency of the system solutions.

These better efficiencies allow for increased Audio bandwidth without the “out-of-band” noise that is typical of legacy Class D amplifiers. These performance differences, along with an even better EMI/EMC profile are the result of the ‘almost ideal’ switching waveform that is achievable with this new eGaN FET technology.

The much faster switching times, the lack of ‘overshoots’ and ‘ringing’, along with the much reduced “Dead-Band” timing of the eGaN FET Output Stage allows for unmatched linearity across the entire Modulation range. With the significant reduction in “ON” resistance and Gate capacitance of the eGaN FET, our amplifiers provide unmatched Output Impedance and THD/IMD, resulting in the need for very low feedback – further reducing any issues caused by complex Output Speaker loads and Back-EMF from the transducers. This means you get a greater depth of field, blacker blacks and greater transparency than standard ICE or Hypex Class D type amps.

This technology fixes all the issues that Class D amps have historically displayed.
    AND
    Get up to $1,200.00 or more in trade for any working amp towards this new technology.
    Call us to discuss this superb new amp at 770-667-5633

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    Thanks @WLDock some nice suggestions there. But when I saw the top off of the LSA350 I just don't see $3K worth of product there. Looks like one hell of a mark up. Maybe they have a ton of money into the R&D?

This McIntosh has got my eye right now. I've always thought you can't go wrong with a McIntosh right? Or am i wrong?

MC452

i717z2p3u15a.jpg

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/brand/news/MC452-Enjoy-The-Music
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Those with lower back problems need not apply.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,109
    Thanks @WLDock some nice suggestions there. But when I saw the top off of the LSA350 I just don't see $3K worth of product there. Looks like one hell of a mark up. Maybe they have a ton of money into the R&D?

This McIntosh has got my eye right now. I've always thought you can't go wrong with a McIntosh right? Or am i wrong?

MC452

i717z2p3u15a.jpg

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/brand/news/MC452-Enjoy-The-Music

Now you're talkin.......
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    You know these class D amp boards are small, super efficient, and simple. The Gallium Nitrate eGaN FET tech is newer and there are few in the market right now. The GaN boards in the amp look to be custom made so there was for sure some R&D. However, what mid to high end audio does not have a 35%-60%+ markup?

At one point one could get GaN evaluation boards in the ~$500-600 price range each. Then a stout low noise 850W power supply would be at least $200+. Maybe someone could make something close, maybe a little less powerful for $1500?

These little 5"x5" 150W each Starkrimson Mono amps utilize gallium nitride (GaN) FETs are $1250 for the pair.
    https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/bsc-mplfr
    rs=w:1200,h:1200

Heck, McIntosh makes a standard 4 channel 250W x 4 class D amp. The model MI254 lists for $4500.
    https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MI254

Class D amp modules and a power supply.
    open-jpg.120616

As far as the BIG powerful McIntosh MC452 with the blue meters.......What's not to like. Its a BRUTE!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Have you considered new speakers? Your current speakers may not be ideal for the room they end-up in anyway. But if you feel they need 400 watts, you are narrowing down your choices to power-houses, most of which sound very transistory and clangy IMO.
    It's so easy to find great-sounding speakers with an easy load.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    I have SO much invested in the Infinities. I want to give them a fair shake with a great amp. Right now everything is going ito storage so we can sale the house then I'm moving to AZ. I'll be looking for a house that has a appropriate sized room accommodate these speakers.

I don't really the 400 watts. I dont mind going down on power. Just want 2 ohm stable and at least 250 watts. Want some headroom.

The short list now is
    Musical Fidelity M8
    McIntosh MC452
    B&K M200s custom pair of monos
    Parasound JC1+ Monos

Tough choice.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 864
    You could just get a Pass X250.5 or X350 and be done. And you’d never have to worry about what if...although I could name some others that compete at 4K or under that I have personally owned, they will be tough to beat. Not to mention the resale is easy if they’re not your cup of tea....Which would be highly unlikely.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,231
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    You could just get a Pass X250.5 or X350 and be done. And you’d never have to worry about what if...although I could name some others that compete at 4K or under that I have personally owned, they will be tough to beat. Not to mention the resale is easy if they’re not your cup of tea....Which would be highly unlikely.

Excellent idea, here are sold listings on HiFiShark...they move quick
    https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=X250.5

I have done several WTB on A'gon and US Audio Mart with great success
    You name your price in the add and includes shipping...
    You'll be surprised
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CH46E
    The Carver Raven amps might make the short list.

I'll look at the Pass amps too. Thanks
  • nooshinjohn
    If you can work your way over to L.A., I will let you play mine to your heart's content. I have listened to mine against the Mac's, Pass and a few others. They have never been bested. Equaled, perhaps by the Pass, but it was a matter of different flavors of goodness, rather than one being better than the other.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    If you can work your way over to L.A., I will let you play mine to your heart's content. I have listened to mine against the Mac's, Pass and a few others. They have never been bested. Equaled, perhaps by the Pass, but it was a matter of different flavors of goodness, rather than one being better than the other.

I won't be but 3.5 hours from LA. We might make that happen. !!!!!
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
  • CH46E

Too many channels.

I do plan on getting a Nakamichi 9.2.2 sound bar system for HT. Then I can have my dedicated 2.0 or maybe 2.1 system.
  • nooshinjohn

Too many channels.

I do plan on getting a Nakamichi 9.2.2 sound bar system for HT. Then I can have my dedicated 2.0 or maybe 2.1 system.

You can bi-amp with this one, and at a 4 ohm load, it is 800 wpc...

• TroyD
    I still think that we are overthinking this.......you may disagree, but, IMO, the amp is the link in the chain I pay least attention to. Speakers, source, preamp, amp.....with source and preamp being pretty even.

Competently designed amp of 100 wpc with 3db of headroom is going to suffice for 99.5% of your listening needs. Unless, of course, you have a thing for pipe organ music at 110db....
  • CH46E
    TroyD wrote: »
    I still think that we are overthinking this.......you may disagree, but, IMO, the amp is the link in the chain I pay least attention to. Speakers, source, preamp, amp.....with source and preamp being pretty even.

Competently designed amp of 100 wpc with 3db of headroom is going to suffice for 99.5% of your listening needs. Unless, of course, you have a thing for pipe organ music at 110db....

I do have a think for feeling the music as much as hearing it sometimes.
  • TroyD
    I hear you man...lol and the Infinities are more challenging than a lot of speakers.....IIRC, they present a similar load as a Maggie, 86ish efficiency, 4 ohm that drops lower.....but, again, unless you are pressurizing a concert hall.....go for quality of sound over quantity of power. The short list you have is a pretty good one.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    TroyD wrote: »
    I hear you man...lol and the Infinities are more challenging than a lot of speakers.....IIRC, they present a similar load as a Maggie, 86ish efficiency, 4 ohm that drops lower.....but, again, unless you are pressurizing a concert hall.....go for quality of sound over quantity of power. The short list you have is a pretty good one.

Agree 100% quality over quantity. With two 10s in each speaker, id like to get that kick drum impact without the use of a sub.

I was figuring any amp rated at 250 watts per at 8 ohms should yield plenty of power at 4 and below ohms.

When I crank it up, I dont want to have an ounce of worry that I'm pushing the amp to clipping. I want to get 100% from the speakers and not have to worry about the amp. I'm pretty sure my short list of amps can do that.