If you had $4,000 for a amp????

Options
CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,549
edited July 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
Ok.... so as a few of ya know, ill be divorced soon. We are using a mediator instead of blood sucking lawyers. Most, if not all equity in our home is ours. 50/50

Besides finishing my Infinity RS-II, I want a new amp. I don't want to spend a penny more than $4K for a amp. That means if it is 20 years old i need to deduct $500 for a recap. So for older amps $3,500..... newer amps $4K.

What would yall recommend.

I've never had a Krell, but have always wanted one. I would also like to try a Mark Levinson or Proceed product. Of course a Mc Intosh would be a contender. Pass labs??

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hope the mediator works better for you then it did me. Was just an additional cost in the proceedings. That was actually one of the most expensive days as “we” paid the mediator, who was a lawyer, and two lawyers. And I use the term “we” very loosely. As the majority of the funding came from one side.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    What's the going rate for an MC275 today?

Sorry to hear about the circumstances, though :(
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I'm sure this won't surprise you....since you know I'm smitten w/my 250. The mono 300's, bigger brother's to the 250, are used at PSA HQ to run the mighty IRS-V. And, BHK designed for Infinity. Later this year I'll be using the 250 on my Genesis II's. No plans to switch amps but Pass would be on my short list if I did.
    https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/ps-audio-bhk-signature-250-stereo-tube-hybrid-amplifier-bhk-250-black-used/znxhmmu81v7f.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Please guys..... don't apologize. Its just time to split.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • CH46E
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    I'm sure this won't surprise you....since you know I'm smitten w/my 250. The mono 300's, bigger brother's to the 250, are used at PSA HQ to run the mighty IRS-V. And, BHK designed for Infinity. Later this year I'll be using the 250 on my Genesis II's. No plans to switch amps but Pass would be on my short list if I did.
    https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/ps-audio-bhk-signature-250-stereo-tube-hybrid-amplifier-bhk-250-black-used/znxhmmu81v7f.png

The Genesis should be a hair raising experience man! Plus extra cool points that Paul developed the amp you will use on the Paul and Annie developed speakers.

RIP Arnie!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Benchmark AHB2.
  • CH46E
    Options
    I guess I should say I need a amp that is 2 ohm stable and can put out 400 watts or better @ 4 ohms.

Looking up that Benchmark here in a min.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Oh yeah it won't put out that much power.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Oh yeah it won't put out that much power.

That Benchmark looks killer man. They make some very bold claims. I'm sure you would not recommend it had it not made a impression on you.

The way they rated the amp's power at only .0003 distortion tells me it will put out a lot more at the usual .01 level. I think this amp might actually be plenty powerful for my needs.

Took me a while of reading to figure out why it only weights 16 pounds. I thought Class D. Apparently its a Class H tracking Power supply.

They claim "The AHB2 rivals the efficiency of class-D amplifiers while exceeding the sonic performance of power-hungry class-A designs."

This amp will be high on the list!

What did you think of the bass performance?

Crap man. I just noticed it has no unbalanced inputs.
  • CH46E
    Options

Dang man. I thought these were unobtanium for me. I thought they were $10,000 amps. As you know. It would be fed off your old Anthem Pre 2L you sold me.

BTW. The NOS Matsushita/National 7dj8 tubes from Upscale audio, have burned in nicely. Very much enjoying them. They were VERY bright at first, especially when paired with JBL Titanium 035 tweeters.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    I've read a few reviews that said the ps audio bhk amps don't drive 2ohm loads. They said it shuts down at higher volumes with low impedance loads.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    I guess I should say I need a amp that is 2 ohm stable and can put out 400 watts or better @ 4 ohms.

Mcintosh mc2500
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options

Looking up that Benchmark here in a min.
    What speakers do you need an amp stable down to 2 ohms @ 400 watts minimum? How big is your room? The Infinity's don't seem to need none of that kind of power.

If you really NEED that kind of power then I would look no further than Bryston. Their amps are about as rock solid as any amp on the market dollar for dollar.

You can get a 4B SST amp used for around $3500-$4000. It would be the last amp you would ever need to own and worth repairing if it ever needed.

They go for around $6700.00 new which at that price still way worth it IF you need all that.

There are plenty of other amps out there that are cheaper and probably could get the job done. One thing to keep in mind is a few things when shopping.
    1- How big is your room?
    2- How loud do you ever listen?
    3- Ohm rating of your speakers
    4- How far away do you sit from your speakers?

Sometimes or really most of the time we all over spend on amps because of the MAN factor. We all think we need hundreds of Watts and super high dampening factor etc can arc weld with it and won't clip on a dead short etc etc etc. But in the real world under real conditions, you would be surprised how little power you actually need.

I say this because you can get a smaller Bryston Amp like the 3B SST which has less power but sounds exactly the same as the 4B does for less money. They are usually $1000.00 less and used maybe even less compared. The 3B is a stupid killer amp that feels like it has limitless power and probably will have more reserve power then you will ever use..

We usually don't listen at stupid high volumes as most of use would like to keep our hearing as long as possible. The older we get the more we lose and cranking it up to god knows how loud will just accelerate the loss of hearing.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • invalid
    Options
    If you really need an amp that's able to drive those low impedance loads, you can't go wrong with vintage krell. I don't think any amp under $4,000 will have as stout of a power supply as a vintage krell. Take for instance the ksa 250, its power transformer is bigger than both of the parasound jc1 monoblocks combined.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Be on the lookout for a set of Carver Raven 350’s... great amps and on the used market, are right where you need to be.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If you are looking to drive the RS-II's.....I gotta say if the PS Audio will drive the IRSV's then.....

Now, that being said.......I'd consider a Sunfire. Mine has driven the Thiel 3.6's (which are notorious amp killers) without breaking a sweat. Even with sending in for freshening up, it's WELL under your price point and musical, unlike what I've found with a lot of high powered amps (Krell comes to mind....YMMV but I've found Krell ((and yes, I've owned Krell)) to be harsh and bright)...

4K buys a lot of amp so the choices are many.......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Divorce sucks! I know I've had 3! If you remarry make sure she's filthy stinking rich!

Back on topic, for that coin I'd look at newer class A/B's like Belles, Bryston, Parasound or Pass Labs. Monoblocks are nice too because you can plug them into separate circuits.

Edit: I do like that BHK 250 @JayCee pointed out

Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    edited July 2021
    Options

Dang man. I thought these were unobtanium for me. I thought they were $10,000 amps. As you know. It would be fed off your old Anthem Pre 2L you sold me.

BTW. The NOS Matsushita/National 7dj8 tubes from Upscale audio, have burned in nicely. Very much enjoying them. They were VERY bright at first, especially when paired with JBL Titanium 035 tweeters.

Glad you like the Mats...I thought you would. I think they're great @ their price and, as a general observation, I've found all my tubes have taken 150-200 hrs to break-in before I can make a fair assessment. Some of this is also getting familiar with "different" when you're used to a particular sound signature. I'm a firm believer that both the gear and ears need time to acclimate.

So, I've found PSA to be similar to Polk w/cost vs performance. During the past year, when times were a bit tougher, there was a guy on the PSA forum selling his 300 monoblocks for about the price of a new 250. Had I known the Gen II's were in my future I'd have jumped on them. There's a BHK 600 in the works and set to reveal in the coming months. Rumored, though, it'll be north of $12K.

When I tested your Anthem prior to selling, it was with the 250's and was a nice match. Can speculate that w/the Mat's it'd be even better. I'll say, too, if you project into the future and wanted to move on from the 2L the matching BHK pre is spectacular.

Lots of choices in your price range w/many good manufacturers but at used prices...the BHK line is really a solid choice. If the 250's a contender for you....I'd suggest calling PSA's staff and ask for their take driving the demanding loads you predict.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi Chris.

I like my NAD gear A LOT so...this might be an option at 2800.00 new. and weighs in at 67 lbs. :D wait...that's shipping weight. The amp weighs in at almost 52 lbs. ;)

Master Series M3

https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/107nad/index.html

ip8owmdq443l.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • JayCee
    edited July 2021
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    I've read a few reviews that said the ps audio bhk amps don't drive 2ohm loads. They said it shuts down at higher volumes with low impedance loads.

Missed your comments when I posted my last response. I've never had the 250 shutdown and it's been driving the uber modded 1.2tl's (lots of BIG copper...1000VA dreadnaught/Solen SDA inductor) since day one.

I'm fairly conservative w/the volume but have pushed them on occasion. My understanding is the 1.2's, as I've modded, can dip into the 2 ohm realm? I'd like to summon the "all knowing one" for confirmation. Paging Mr. DK (@DarqueKnight).
    TroyD wrote: »
    If you are looking to drive the RS-II's.....I gotta say if the PS Audio will drive the IRSV's then.....BDT
    To clarify....the IRS-V's are powered by the BHK 300 monoblocks. Not the 250. Cut from the same cloth but definitely more capable w/dips. Have the coin? Get the mono's...but not doable in Chris's stated price range.

• invalid
    Options
    I've gotta say if the PS Audio will drive the IRSV's then...

The IRSV's are easy to drive

Krell ((and yes, I've owned Krell)) to be harsh and bright).

I used to believe that also, but if you use the right upstream ancillaries it's definitely not bright. A lot of people say the krell KSA 250 to be warmer sounding than most other krell amps. My KSA 300s was bright until I inserted a tube preamp in front of it.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Thanks guys. Some great suggestions here. I'll dive into some reading tonight.

@Tony M am also a fan of NAD.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Used Bryston would be a solid choice. They have a 20 year warranty which speaks to their build quality/longevity.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I’m pretty confident in saying that if PS Audio BHK amps are capable of powering the IRS V’s….I wouldn’t hesitate to use them for the RS II’s.

Many folks dig Krell and that’s groovy. I’ve owned a couple of their amps and am similarly confident in the quality of my gear and my hearing to arrive at my conclusions without reservation.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited July 2021
    Options
    The X got the NADs in my divorce. Good luck.
    I couldn't afford Shiit for some time. I
    just picked up the Aegir for small room near field listening.
    Guess this doesn't help.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • invalid
    Options
    I’m pretty confident in saying that if PS Audio BHK amps are capable of powering the IRS V’s….I wouldn’t hesitate to use them for the RS II’s.

The BHK 300 monoblocks didn't do that well driving a 2ohm load when stereophile measured them, John Atkinson said he wouldn't use them below 4ohms. The IRSV's are any easy load, they have powered bass towers.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    The X got the NADs in my divorce. Good luck.
    I couldn't afford Shiit for some time. I
    just picked up the Aegir for small room near field listening.
    Guess this doesn't help.

If she goes after my stereo equipment I will take it personal. I really dont think she will try any of that noise. We have or so I think, put all or most emotions aside.

Meeting with a moderator won't happen until the 2nd week of AUG. Realtor comming tomorrow. Houses here are selling in days to weeks for 10s of thousands over asking. I think we are going to do VERY well on the house. Fingers crossed.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I very bad time and I wish you the best.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    edited July 2021
    Options
    What about something from Plinius? I've heard the SA 103 driving a pair of Splendor D7's and I was very impressed! That might be a little under powered at 125wpc?

It's so much easier spending other people's money!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2021
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I very bad time and I wish you the best.

Thanks man. I'm pretty sure she is just as interested in not wasting my TSP savings and the home equity on lawyers.

But I'm sure I'm just one smart **** remark away from destroying all that!