The 1.2TL, Project Monolith

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Thank you 😁
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    bueatiful craftsmanship Trey.I absolutely love them!
    What can you tell us again about the c-coil?
    VR3 wrote: Β»
    s3cpvzdoy8w8.jpg
    z5di6wm8uc1y.jpg

• VR3
    Thanks guys!

The C Coil is the lowest resistance inductor I could source, largest one I have used. I asked for a larger gauge and they said the machine could not do it. The resistance is next to nothing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    How much lower will the speaker overall impedance be, with you uber crossovers? How do you keep the voicing balance in the speaker?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Replacing the sda inductor with the lowest possible dcr possible is actually a polk approved tweak. The c coil is literally the perfect sda inductor.

I haven't checked the average load. Currently running them with my dayton integrated, driving them well! 😜
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Replacing the sda inductor with the lowest possible dcr possible is actually a polk approved tweak. The c coil is literally the perfect sda inductor.

I haven't checked the average load. Currently running them with my dayton integrated, driving them well! 😜

How do they compare to the Erse inductors some of us used?
  • VR3
    The super q dcr is around .5 dcr. The c coil is .08 dcr, virtually no resistance
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    OK cool thanks. I didn't know they said as low as possible. I've noticed when buying replacement coils in the other parts of the circuits that it is hard to find ones with as low gauge as Polk OEM so one ends up lowering the DCR there too. What do you do, just try to lower an equal percentage in high and low parts of the XO circuit?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    All of the board inductors are a dcr match, I special order them
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have absolutely no space or reason to own another pair of big SDAs but this makes me wish when I did do my 2.3TLs now owned by @gudnoyez that I had used Duelunds just for how gorgeous they are.

Awesome work, kid!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    My sda2a's had way better bass with the lower dcr inductors I purchased for them. I believe I read on this forum that Mr. Polk himself recommended lower dcr inductors for the sub bass drive circuit, but I believe it makes the impedence of the speaker a little lower.
  • VR3
    edited May 2021
    Thanks @ZLTFUL

Yes, the lower the DCR of the SDA inductor, the better the bass! :p Big booty bass ;-P
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    j8pgso7feduk.jpg

So neat and tidy! Love it.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    WOW
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I think you need to have a couple Polkies over to listen to them before they head overseas
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    Yep, I believe a few are coming this weekend :)@lightman1 partay
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited June 2021
    OMG!! This thread has reached the UNBELIEVABLE level.

Trey, magnificent work!!

Are they going to Mars?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Yep, I believe a few are coming this weekend :)@lightman1 partay

They require the "Lightman Seal of Approval" (Flatulent Gas) to flesh out the sound and give some bloom to the bottom end.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

β€œWhen once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Thanks guys!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Is Tom making the trip?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    Tom is on vacation or something, whatever that is!
  • VR3
    Just wrapped up the gathering with @lightman1 and @Reagan and Mike from SC!

I think it was a blast for everyone 😁
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Pic's or it didn't happen. Wait... Nevermind πŸ˜€
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So who ended up sleeping in the playpen?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus