The 1.2TL, Project Monolith

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So who ended up sleeping in the playpen?

I was thinking the playpen would mess up the imaging. Just thinking out loud 🤣
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    It really ties the room together 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    I was blown away with the low frequencies delivered. Great job! The other two pairs, namely the Canton Karat Ref 2's and the Mezzo Utopias both had amazing holographic imaging. However, I believe the 1.2TL's owned the day when all is said and done. I would say the soundstage for the Polks wrapped about 200 degrees. I have a bit of homework to do on my 1.2TL's.
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • VR3
    Thanks Richard! I think the real steal of the day was your tuna dip.... Wowza!

I think everyone had a great time, but the excitement in the room when we finally rotated the 1.2tls in the room was definitely palpable!

There was a song where @lightman1 jumped up and said, you just went subsonic!! Lok

Good times!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Damn nice job Trey! Making me wish you didn’t help me carry them out of my house in the first place...but then they would have never gotten to this level, so it makes it all worth it in the end!
  • VR3
    Thank you sir!!

So I had a few minutes to spend with them again just now... I pulled them another 2 inches from the wall, my room is just barely big enough for these beasts.

They beg to be turned up, they just egg you on. They are sitting comfortable at 90db plus, they are just cruising. Endless dynamics and bass, super wide and deep stage.

But they truly excel at louder volumes, I think in a lower volume setting a smaller pair like the crs would be better but in a large room at full tilt, these guys put on a show to be experienced.

It is not as transparent or refined as the Mezzo utopia, but I never expected that to be the case either. What the 1. 2tl does well, I'm not sure any speaker I've heard can do the same except maybe the grande utopia.

Volume, scale, dynamics while retaining great detail and textures with a huge soundstage. They easily throw a 30 ft stage, putting an upright bass in my front yard, a piano in the half bath, no doubt.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    I don't believe there is a speaker made that can produce a soundstage like the SDA's. Even my little sda2a's have a bigger soundstage than my apogee duetta 2.
  • VR3
    edited June 2021
    I agree in some regards but not 100%. The Cantons and the Utopias both throw out a soundstage easily stretching from one wall to the other (in my room that is 22 ft) and they are extremely 3 dimensional. So while they wont make a piano come up beside you like the 1.2TL, they can easily project ambiance or effects that come up from behind you, beside you, and will project behind the speakers as well with fantastic depth.

I purposely set up my demo this weekend to demonstrate how well a traditional speaker can hang with the SDA soundstage and I think anyone there would agree that all three speakers were extremely equal in that regards.

I am not detracting from the SDA experience, if anything it is a further testament to the technology that you would use it as a baseline to compare everything else to.

In my comments above, that is where the 1.2TL started to walk away from the pack, delivering that out of this world experience with extreme dynamics, volume, wrap around staging. It can truly deliver a "live at a concert" experience in your house, it is insane!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    I concur on the piano. My 2.3tls really make piano's come alive. Hearing sounds out to the side even with your ears but two foot higher than your head. Many friends come to sit and listen to mine and are astonished at the stage depth, width and height. They make comments to WOW that guitar was way out to the side it was like he was just standing there.
    I couldn't imagine what those 1.2tl's are like ...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,090
    Any chance these crossovers can make a road trip? I would love to hear them before they get installed in their final home.

;):D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Considering it took 2 hours per crossover and special tools and brackets... thats a negative!! ayyyeee!

If only it were that easy to move around cinder block sized crossovers!
  • VR3
    A side note, the texture of the duelund caps unlike any cap I've ever heard. They are extremely organic in presentation, tons and tons of texture, zero sibilance or potential for fatigue
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Would/are you considering them for your Utopias?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    edited June 2021
    I have priced out the tweeter network, the JDM series is in my budget (an extremely stretched budget) and the CAST series is almost the cost of the parts list of my current mods...soooooo.... yeeeeaahhhhhh

To do the Tweeter and midrange circuit in the Mezzo utopia with the JDM or Cast series would require an enclosure the size of the speakers themselves and cost as much of a SUV.

I run the bypass caps, compared to Jody's build which didnt have them, it has a little more warmth and texture versus a straight CMR but nothing like these 1.2TL. The textue presented is akin to a luthier hand made instrument, just very smooth with tons of tone.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited June 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    The textu(r)e presented is akin to a luthier hand made instrument

That's just cray cray. The Stradivarius of the cap world! Have seen real Strad's in person...never will I be able to afford one. Not that I can play, either. Sonicap's will have to do.

Guess you can confidently say Sean has the best SDA's on the planet, bar none?!!!

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    They definitely sound awesome, I listened for about 2 hours at 80ish db and was immersed in beautiful sound
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    So apparently bypass caps DO work, even with high end film capacitors? Should I put the little brown silver mica bypass caps back on my upgraded crossovers with the Sonicaps? Or do they have to be equally high end bypass caps to give benefit?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    The only caps I have used as a bypass and liked were the duelunds, they add a flavor that is very nice on the ears. It should a higher end cap than what you are using if bypassing. The duelund jdm bypass cap is only 22 each so not to bad
  • hytekrednek
    hytekrednek Posts: 125
    edited June 2021
    Beautiful work sir! I can't wait to get my Vr3 mod crossovers in and installed into my 2.3tl's. Also have full set of Larry's rings, new RDO tweeters, dynamat extreme, and epoxy for magnets to do at same time. Plus new grill cloth on the fronts. I feel like a kid the day before Christmas. I would LOVE some of those custom aluminum tweeter plates to top them off, if possible. The custom Badge you did for the 1.2's is sweet with your trademark and the build name/specs. VERY COOL
  • VR3
    Thanks Shaun!

CYN - Uh Oh is perhaps my favorite song on sda so far, crazy staging and great bass
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Impressive very Impressive.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Whoda thunk you could get a crossover that big after what he did to the Utopias?????
  • VR3
    Thanks guys!

Definitely was an experience working with such large parts haha

These will be heading down under soon!

Have thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. They do a whole lot right!
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    Agreed! I still can’t believe the levels of clean bass those towers produce.
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • VR3
    The journey to home is getting closer

s64ywdrky8lj.jpg
    49q7qvt1ujuk.jpg
    m6cn0sj2z01n.jpg
    zfd40ze8t4k8.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    Those are going to take a LOT of polyfil 😂
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    You should drape flags over them and take them to the airport dressed in black. Might get delivered for free.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    I thought about drilling air holes and writing do not feed
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited July 2021
    Better double check the PR push test , anything over 10 seconds and they might need a few screws loosened so they can equalise faster during their flight.🧐😛