What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    tratliff wrote: »

Sorry to hear that.

I mounted the one I got from Amazon in the attic. I got improvement but not sure if a more directional antenna would do better. My tuner has a signal strength meter and I am getting around 60 out of 100 right now.

I am debating ordering a 4 element yagi from Amazon. I can get it for about $50. I’m just unsure if it will do any better and if it does will it be noticeable when I listen.

From my understanding a yagi would be better because it's directional but I have stations coming at me from several directions.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I won't ever use a yagi. The word is appalling to me. I mean who came up with such a stupid sounding name! Kinda like Bungalow. I will never own a home that's considered a Bungalow. UGH!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited April 2021
    Tiny portable bungalow!

q87i9kgb6rj2.jpg

EDIT:
    On topic:
    Q. What did you do to your stereo rig today?
    A. Nothing.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I have one of these. They are awesome! And like @pitdogg2 says, use quad shielded all copper coax.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RCA-Attic-Outdoor-Compact-Design-HDTV-Antenna-ANT705E/303087505

@audioluvr are you using this for FM and/or HDTV?
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I won't ever use a yagi. The word is appalling to me. I mean who came up with such a stupid sounding name! Kinda like Bungalow. I will never own a home that's considered a Bungalow. UGH!

Guy's name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi–Uda_antenna
    There are other directional antenna designs. How do you feel about log periodic?

vv73005fpfx5.png
    https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Consumer/Allied-1970.pdf

https://www.com-power.com/products/antennas/log-periodic-antennas/alfm-80120
    xes71wdxje05.png
  • mhardy6647
    helhwjohyplv.png
    No Bungalow...
    Bungahigh?
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited April 2021
    ^^^^ It looks like the dwelling may be partially on the ground behind the tree and that the decking surrounding the large tree is and part of the front of the dwelling off the ground. At least I hope part of it is on the ground! Pretty clever.

Edit: Most of my Botany knowledge was left in my distant past. Will the trunk of a large growing tree increase in vertical height where the deck is attached? If so, if the dwelling is partially on the ground and the decking is attached to the dwelling and the tree I would suspect some movement of the structures? The tree it appears could actually be helping prevent the dwelling from sliding down the hill? Any structural engineers here?
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    I won't ever use a yagi. The word is appalling to me. I mean who came up with such a stupid sounding name!

Blame this guys parents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidetsugu_Yagi

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2021
    I have one of these. They are awesome! And like @pitdogg2 says, use quad shielded all copper coax.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RCA-Attic-Outdoor-Compact-Design-HDTV-Antenna-ANT705E/303087505

@audioluvr are you using this for FM and/or HDTV?

Both

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    helhwjohyplv.png

That thing looks like an ant/slug superhighway!

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BindingPoster
    BindingPoster Posts: 12
    edited April 2021
    I switched it on and cued it up to play some music for a couple of hours. Mostly Nick Cave. It was nice.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    55SLA70 wrote: »
    Replaced my aging Cambridge Audio 640C V2 cd player and DacMagic dac with a Marantz ND8006 cd/network player. n1yopc7untc8.jpg

Review forthcoming?

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    7qd25otak6xu.jpeg

Picked up this new (to me) audio rack at a thrift store.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Nice find. How are you liking the Audiolab transport?
  • 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Replaced my aging Cambridge Audio 640C V2 cd player and DacMagic dac with a Marantz ND8006 cd/network player. n1yopc7untc8.jpg

Review forthcoming?
    jbreezy5,

Yea, I can do that. It might be a couple weeks though. One of my preamp tubes went South and the replacement, as well as the Marantz, need time to fully break in. When I first fired it up, it sounded thin and fatiguing. Quite dismal, really. I got about seven or eight hours on the new combo now and it's just beginning to lose some of the upper end edginess and the lower mids/upper bottom are beginning to come in. It's almost listenable now, but it has a ways to go. I can say one thing, the Marantz has a significantly larger soundstage. We just installed new WiFi in the house and I'll probably start streaming this weekend. I'm looking forward to finding a good blues station.

BTW, nice setup you have there. I really like that direct drive Dual. It's been a few decades since I heard one of those.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • jbreezy5
    maxward wrote: »
    Nice find. How are you liking the Audiolab transport?

Good eye; that is a 6000CDT. Honestly I had trepidation about disc scratching due to slot-loading, but I have been rather lazy about looking for it. I’ve only had it for about 6 weeks.

If any scratching has occurred repeated listens don’t reveal it, as the transport reads discs without hiccup. I plan to be more intentional and use new CD-Rs, beginning May, to watch for scratching.

I like the display as it is easy to read from a distance. The player is mechanically and electronically quiet while reading discs (this is a big deal for me b/c previously I had a Denon DVD-1920, and currently a DVD-1940 in another system, and both are mechanically noisy machines, IME).

Otherwise, I like the simple appearance, quiet operation, ease of use, and disc reading capability of the unit.

I l

• jbreezy5

Review forthcoming?
    jbreezy5,

Yea, I can do that. It might be a couple weeks though. One of my preamp tubes went South and the replacement, as well as the Marantz, need time to fully break in. When I first fired it up, it sounded thin and fatiguing. Quite dismal, really. I got about seven or eight hours on the new combo now and it's just beginning to lose some of the upper end edginess and the lower mids/upper bottom are beginning to come in. It's almost listenable now, but it has a ways to go. I can say one thing, the Marantz has a significantly larger soundstage. We just installed new WiFi in the house and I'll probably start streaming this weekend. I'm looking forward to finding a good blues station.

BTW, nice setup you have there. I really like that direct drive Dual. It's been a few decades since I heard one of those.

55SLA70,

I look forward to reading your review. It may sound weird, but I enjoy the process of equipment break-in; gets better everyday.

Thanks! The guys here filled me in on the Dual. What’s really cool is it has a brushless motor, and the arm has adjustable VTA.

I need to get some speaker stands for the KEFs. 😁

• Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Sorry to hear that.

I mounted the one I got from Amazon in the attic. I got improvement but not sure if a more directional antenna would do better. My tuner has a signal strength meter and I am getting around 60 out of 100 right now.

I am debating ordering a 4 element yagi from Amazon. I can get it for about $50. I’m just unsure if it will do any better and if it does will it be noticeable when I listen.

@tratliff , I installed a new antenna today. It's a Winegard HD-6010. Got it and a mast at Amazon. Pretty inexpensive:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B001HKM1HM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00068YUN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the before and after measurements. My tuner has a scale of 0-5. Many stations are a push but I'm very happy with the few that now come in stronger. A couple of these were my targets:

1xlpetbvrojn.png

Photo of installed antenna:

ya8xqcq67ov8.jpg
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • tratliff
    Sorry to hear that.

@tratliff , I installed a new antenna today. It's a Winegard HD-6010. Got it and a mast at Amazon. Pretty inexpensive:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B001HKM1HM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00068YUN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the before and after measurements. My tuner has a scale of 0-5. Many stations are a push but I'm very happy with the few that now come in stronger. A couple of these were my targets:

1xlpetbvrojn.png

Photo of installed antenna:

ya8xqcq67ov8.jpg

Nice. Looks like you made good progress. I have been just letting mine be. I am getting the stations I want pretty good. I might try another soon. I’ll take a look at what you got.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2021
    Picked up a pair of aDs L500 at The Record Exchange! <3:*

yot3e5dc8ttz.jpeg
    ypcv3c0onhu6.jpeg

scha-weet.
    Judging by the logos, those are relatively early ones.

Loves me some ads/Braun loudspeakers -- then and now. Couldn't afford them then, though.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I found a pair of ADS L400 in my dad's stuff. The woofers don't match, though. One has a butyl surround like the L500 above, the other...doesn't. I'm afraid I may have a hard time finding an original replacement woofer. I like the looks of the tweeters!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tratliff
    ypcv3c0onhu6.jpeg

I sure hope for the sake of your turntable that the one on the left doesn't get hit and fall over. Looks sketchy to me. :o
  • jbreezy5
    ypcv3c0onhu6.jpeg

I sure hope for the sake of your turntable that the one on the left doesn't get hit and fall over. Looks sketchy to me. :o

Only have about 1” underneath the speaker on either side unsupported by the speaker below it, and both speakers are the same depth. No kids or pets here either.

I’m gonna be getting some proper stands soon.

• jbreezy5
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of aDs L500 at The Record Exchange! <3:*

yot3e5dc8ttz.jpeg
    ypcv3c0onhu6.jpeg

scha-weet.
    Judging by the logos, those are relatively early ones.

Loves me some ads/Braun loudspeakers -- then and now. Couldn't afford them then, though.

ca. 1975 judging by a pro review I found.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited May 2021
    Pretty interesting. There is a whole thread here on this. 38 Hz - 25kHz with crossover at 1,750Hz 12dB slope. Solid walnut cabinet with walnut veneers. Do you have a picture of the back of that Peerless?
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178777/jennings-research-speakers

PS: Get back to work on your Infinities :D
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    CH46E wrote: »
    I added a pair of Jennings Research Contrara to the stable today. Gorgeous speakers. A friend of mine was going to donate them to GW. I said no your not!!! He gave them to me and refused payment. He said all drivers work. I'll open them up at a later time to check them out. I didnpop the Peerless out and its a 7510. 751031.

azv4azaklerf.jpg
    c6jitbldcdh0.jpg
    gbppvw0dwvji.jpg

Whoreder!!!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson