Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Nightfall wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Week 6 of being a non-smoker. I got this.
    mvtfvfgc50rt.jpg

I need help. I smoke way too much and it makes me feel like a POS. I have quit things that made me feel extreme depression and physically ill during withdrawal and I still followed through but I can't do this even though I know I need to. I wonder about Chantix even though I know the easier answer is to man up on the willpower.

You're not alone brother, me too...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    mvtfvfgc50rt.jpg

I need help. I smoke way too much and it makes me feel like a POS. I have quit things that made me feel extreme depression and physically ill during withdrawal and I still followed through but I can't do this even though I know I need to. I wonder about Chantix even though I know the easier answer is to man up on the willpower.

If you remember that the craving only lasts a few minutes and let it pass it makes it a lot easier.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I was smoking 2-3 packs a day, and would sometimes smoke a pack just in a night of drinking. Finally quit cold turkey and felt terrible for a few months. Then one night I was out partying and I realized I hadn't thought of a cigarette all night. That was in 1980 and haven't touched them since then.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    This is a nice timeline. ;)
    8sa4gxsmvv61.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    mvtfvfgc50rt.jpg

I guess I will be joining the club. Haven’t had one since I went to the hospital on Monday.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Tony M
    edited November 2020
    That's the way my dad quit smoking too. He shortly belonged to the zipper club and years later, my Father in Law joined the zipper club too. They both lived many years afterward. ;)
  • Tony M
    edited November 2020
    :o:s;)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I had one of those during my childhood.

152a0fpw2erm.jpg

zqsp12i7tbma.jpg
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    mvtfvfgc50rt.jpg

Work on cutting down first.The way I did it was time based. I spaced smokes out every 2 hours. You can start at every hour, then in 3 months move to every 1.5hrs, then every 2 hrs.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    When I was in the hospital, they wanted to put me on one of those nicotine patches. Mainly because your body starts throwing a fit for that nicotine fix and was throwing off my numbers so they couldn't get a clear picture of how I was actually doing.

I told them no way. Knowing that my smoking days were over due to my condition, I didn't want to leave the hospital still craving a smoke. I wanted the rough patch to be over when I left the hospital.

Does it still smell good ? yep
    Do I still want one after I eat ? Yep
    Do I still want one when having some adult beverages ? Yep

But.....you learn to train your brain into focusing elsewhere and that's more than half the battle. Smokers have routines, have that hand to mouth thing too. One of the hardest things you'll ever do is breaking addictive habits. Train your brain, re focus, tell yourself you were never a smoker to begin with and don't dwell on it or give it a second thought. Obviously different methods work for different people, trial and error.

In my case, I was forced, tied to a hospital bed until those initial urges passed. Nothing stopped me from lighting up the day I left though. You have to look at it in a different light because by quitting, your giving yourself a second chance at life. Don't squander it. Rock on Steve and anyone else trying to quit. Yeah, none of us are getting out of this thing alive, but it would sure be nice to soak it up as long as possible.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Kudos to you Steve and Billy (and anyone else trying to stop) as I know how hard that is.
    Gum is your best friend, so is water - more than you can stand.
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2020
    Same with me Tony. I didn't want any kind of nicotine replacement, because I wanted to be done with it. Glad I went that route. We won't fail this time---we're done and feeling really good. We're walking, I am starting to work out again (been about 23 yrs since I left the Army). I'm retiring 30 July 2021 and I intend on fully enjoying our travel.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    mvtfvfgc50rt.jpg

Work on cutting down first.The way I did it was time based. I spaced smokes out every 2 hours. You can start at every hour, then in 3 months move to every 1.5hrs, then every 2 hrs.

Cold turkey was the only thing that worked for me. Why pull off the bandaid slowly? Like I said the cravings don't last very long and if you don't obsess they just come and go. The first 48 hours were the hardest, relatively speaking. It wasn't that hard at all besides my attitude was "I am not letting a cigarette punk me."
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2020
    Agree, first 48hrs ROUGH, first 2 weeks not fun, after that I was good to go.

Have have to retrain your brain to deal with the "boredom cigarette" time. For me, this was the hardest. I didn't realize how much I smoked out of boredom. Be patient, you will develop new ways of coping; going for a short walk helped me.
  • I might have a turkey leg and set the neighbor's trashcans on fire. Again.
    Sal Palooza
  • vmaxer wrote: »
    mvtfvfgc50rt.jpg

I guess I will be joining the club. Haven’t had one since I went to the hospital on Monday.

That’s how I quit also. I told my wife,if I make it to my 75th birthday,I’m going to a 7/11,buying a pack of Newports. Then I’m going to sit in the parking lot and smoke the entire pack! Only 18 years to go!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • steveinaz wrote: »
    Agree, first 48hrs ROUGH, first 2 weeks not fun, after that I was good to go.

Have have to retrain your brain to deal with the "boredom cigarette" time. For me, this was the hardest. I didn't realize how much I smoked out of boredom. Be patient, you will develop new ways of coping; going for a short walk helped me.

How bout your sense of smell returning? Do oders smell more intense now?
  • afterburnt wrote: »
    5nmf9t0wk7hd.jpg

Where would someone get one of those? I’m asking for a friend.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    afterburnt wrote: »
    muiwa2p2i5uc.jpg
    That is the sights, sound and smell of freedom right there!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson