Best covers of originals.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Dang, an LOL? That bad? :D

Maybe they were listening to it in mono.

That's pretty funny actually.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Dang, an LOL? That bad? :D

Fixed it. Happy? :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Boy if you look into there have been so many covers of "standards" that they hardly belong to anyone. Kindda forgot VH etc. did lots of covers. Just a Gigalo, I got the original somewhere

"Just a Gigolo" was David Lee Roth solo. As was "California Girls", "Coconut Grove", "Tobacco Road", and maybe a few more I don't remember. :p
    VH etc.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Johnny Cash Hurt

The original is a million times better, imo.
  • The original "Mad World" was by Tears for Fears.
    It was done in some sort of Calypso hip hop popsy wopsy disco train wreck.

The song was saved years later by Gary Jules who slowed the song down into a melodic melancholy piece and was used in a Gears of War game trailer.
    Brilliant.

Sal Palooza
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited November 2020
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey

David allan coe and george jones are both much better. They sound like emotion and not processing. Not trying to ruffle feathers here, that's just my take.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • There's several, Pearl Jams version of last kiss, George Jones version of White Lightning, Dropkick Murphys version of Fortunate Son, RCHP Higher Ground, Billy Idols version of Mony Mony, The Beatles version of Twist and Shout and Act Naturally(Buck Owens' is just good), and so many others I can't think of at the moment.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • I also really like, that after John Michael Montgomery did I Swear, All4One did I Can Love You Like That, he may not have wrote it, but it was his song. And them both doing eachother right with their covers was great.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

David allan coe and george jones are both much better. They sound like emotion and not processing. Not trying to ruffle feathers here, that's just my take.

The title of the thread is best covers of originals, not better. There are a lot of songs that have been covered 10's of times. Many of these a very good, and IMHO Chris did a nice rendition and a bit of a revival of the original, in which I really enjoy.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    That Jeff Buckley guy did a passable cover version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah...

B)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That Jeff Buckley guy did a passable cover version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah...

B)

Jeff Buckley? Leonard Cohen? Are you just making up names now?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Although Linda Ronstadt's original "Blue Bayou" was very nice, I'd say Roy Orbison's cover of it is the best cover. Dude could croon.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2020
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Although Linda Ronstadt's original "Blue Bayou" was very nice, I'd say Roy Orbison's cover of it is the best cover. Dude could croon.

Umm... Roy Orbison cowrote the song and recorded it in the early 1960s. I reckon you did know that, though, and are just yankin' the chains of keyboard warriors like, umm.. me ;)

8eulb08mxf7x.png
    https://xkcd.com/386/

Ms Ronstadt did (IMO) some nice covers -- although she was sometimes reviled by her coverees. Elvis Costello fairly leaps to mind: he hated her version of Allison.
    She generally seemed to miss the nuance or irony of a lot of the songs she covered (e.g., Chuck Berry's Livin' in the USA, which, like Springsteens Born in the USA, expressed a pretty anti-American point of view) -- but she still turned out pleasant, enjoyable covers across her career.

Her version, e.g., of Lowell George's (Little Feats') Roll Um Easy is, IMO and FWIW, quite dandy.
    https://youtu.be/xRaoRbGJcmA

as is, I'd opine, her cover of Willin'.
    https://youtu.be/fzI6jDqi7OY

on the other hand -- I mean -- Tumbling Dice?! ;)

https://youtu.be/7tt2OkSSguo

Her Warren Zevon covers are kind of amusingly naive sounding, but still pleasant... and, heck, she helped introduce him to AOR radio, which was, ultimately, a good thing for everyone. :)

https://youtu.be/srpwqf2MWAw
    https://youtu.be/_kLGsPSrClE

• mhardy6647

B)

Jeff Buckley? Leonard Cohen? Are you just making up names now?

Here, I made up another one just for you :smiley:

https://youtu.be/F3WOAqtRRvQ

oh, and this cover of Joni Mitchell (or Roberta Joan Anderson, if you prefer) by that same made up lady ;)

https://youtu.be/8L1UngfqojI

oh, wait -- just one more thing...

gfxb4icv2c7t.png

Ms Ronstadt also did do a nice cover of the Everly Brothers' (both of whom, Phil and Don, I just made up, just for this thread) When Will I Be Loved?

https://youtu.be/r4TdEG2drsU

• Viking64

oh, and this cover of Joni Mitchell (or Roberta Joan Anderson, if you prefer) by that same made up lady ;)

Ms Ronstadt also did do a nice cover of the Everly Brothers' (both of whom, Phil and Don, I just made up, just for this thread) When Will I Be Loved?

I have heard of Judy Collins. Although I still get Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, and Carly Simon confused.

Linda Ronstadt's version of "When Will I Be Loved" was my favorite song when I was 10. I just checked her singles, and she had at least 10 cover songs that were hug hits that I thought were the original versions until I was in my 20s. :p
  • Viking64

I lost all respect for him when he stole songs from Nazareth and Van Halen. :p
  • mhardy6647

I have heard of Judy Collins. Although I still get Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, and Carly Simon confused.
    As did some of their lovers over the years. :|
    Linda Ronstadt's version of "When Will I Be Loved" was my favorite song when I was 10. I just checked her singles, and she had at least 10 cover songs that were hug hits that I thought were the original versions until I was in my 20s. :p
    Hug. Definitely hug.

;)

• Viking64
    Hug. Definitely hug.

;)

HAHAHA I could make a string of "jokes" with the titles of at least 12 Linda Ronstadt songs in response to that, but I shall spare everyone the agony.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

Umm... Roy Orbison cowrote the song and recorded it in the early 1960s. I reckon you did know that, though, and are just yankin' the chains of keyboard warriors like, umm.. me ;)

8eulb08mxf7x.png
    https://xkcd.com/386/

Ms Ronstadt did (IMO) some nice covers -- although she was sometimes reviled by her coverees. Elvis Costello fairly leaps to mind: he hated her version of Allison.
    She generally seemed to miss the nuance or irony of a lot of the songs she covered (e.g., Chuck Berry's Livin' in the USA, which, like Springsteens Born in the USA, expressed a pretty anti-American point of view) -- but she still turned out pleasant, enjoyable covers across her career.

Her version, e.g., of Lowell George's (Little Feats') Roll Um Easy is, IMO and FWIW, quite dandy.
    https://youtu.be/xRaoRbGJcmA

as is, I'd opine, her cover of Willin'.
    https://youtu.be/fzI6jDqi7OY

on the other hand -- I mean -- Tumbling Dice?! ;)

https://youtu.be/7tt2OkSSguo

Her Warren Zevon covers are kind of amusingly naive sounding, but still pleasant... and, heck, she helped introduce him to AOR radio, which was, ultimately, a good thing for everyone. :)

https://youtu.be/srpwqf2MWAw
    https://youtu.be/_kLGsPSrClE

That gat damned communist missed nothing.
  • Richie Havens, Here Comes the Sun and Jose Feliciano Light My Fire.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    “More than this”
    10,000 maniacs cover of Roxy Music’s original

Better

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675

The Chromatics “the sound of silence”

Bk

Disturbed "The Sound Of Silence"

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Call me the breeze- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Cocaine -Eric Clapton
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The original "Mad World" was by Tears for Fears.
    It was done in some sort of Calypso hip hop popsy wopsy disco train wreck.

The song was saved years later by Gary Jules who slowed the song down into a melodic melancholy piece and was used in a Gears of War game trailer.
    Brilliant.
    The boys from Tears for Fears prefer his version to their own.
    Cuts right through you.

https://youtu.be/dKdJhL6WEgU
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »

The title of the thread is best covers of originals, not better. There are a lot of songs that have been covered 10's of times. Many of these a very good, and IMHO Chris did a nice rendition and a bit of a revival of the original, in which I really enjoy.

To each their own I suppose, I meant no disrespect in my comment. Yes I know DAC was the original and this is a conversation of covers. I do prefer George Jones cover though personally of were talking covers.
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    My favorite is The Black Crowes covering Otis Redding's Hard To Handle.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • mhardy6647
    aiconn wrote: »
    My favorite is The Black Crowes covering Otis Redding's Hard To Handle.

Pigpen/The Dead also do a pretty nice version on Bear's Choice.

https://youtu.be/7zFMNWITdUY

(and I guess there were even better live versions than that one...)

https://youtu.be/Hqsgr3rPvSQ