Anyone into watches/timepieces?

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    @TroyD thanks for your input. I ended up buying a used Heimdallr (Chinese made) dive watch as a beater. It is actually finished pretty well and keeps great time (Shikoku movement). However, as a retired guy, I like the date complication. I’d like a day/date for the next time even better, maybe for the future, something that tells me when to take my meds. That sounds too much like an Apple Watch.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Noooooo not an apple watch
  • maxward
    Just noticed what autocorrect did: the Heimdallr has a Seiko movement, not Shikoku.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    maxward wrote: »
    @TroyD thanks for your input. I ended up buying a used Heimdallr (Chinese made) dive watch as a beater. It is actually finished pretty well and keeps great time (Shikoku movement). However, as a retired guy, I like the date complication. I’d like a day/date for the next time even better, maybe for the future, something that tells me when to take my meds. That sounds too much like an Apple Watch.

No date was my biggest complaint about the Steinhart......I don't really care about the day, but I need the date on my watch!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    CH46E wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    The Monaco V4 by Tag Heuer has always been my favorite. Ifbi could have any watch this would be it.

"Watchismo Times: Tag Heuer's Concept 'Monaco V4 ' Belt Drive Watch" https://watchismo.blogspot.com/2006/11/tag-heuers-concept-v4-monaco-belt-drive.html?m=1

wbgl7ovfvlae.jpg

I remember that one too.

Any clue where to land one?

One on ebay right now for $39,000.00

Let me go check it out....

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    Looking for my next piece.

So far, I have been eyeing two watches.

Omega Planet Ocean 43.5mm in black with orange numbers (orange being the last color you see before either you pass out or get too deep when diving, or so they say).

And the other was the Rolex Rootbeer in all rose gold.

Nothing set yet, but I would like to acquire this before my 40th birthday which is in a couple years.

Omega:
    2wvmy4qj2k9j.jpeg

Rolex (you can see my stainless GMT in the field of pic):
    mtch9aldeyk8.jpeg
    xy5ytqvdi10s.jpeg
    9ymwpah1l4z9.jpeg
    fru7zqaquonm.jpeg

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • maxward
    The Omega is stunning, but it’s hard to beat the look of rose gold.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited October 2020
    Out of those two, the Rolex. But I actually like your current Rolex more than the one you're looking at.
  • Joey_V
    maxward wrote: »
    The Omega is stunning, but it’s hard to beat the look of rose gold.

And the weight of RG.
    It's like 3x the weight of my SS Rolex.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    A few new additions from my dad's collection - meaning, watches he found at thrift stores, and stuck in a box.

Not the best pic, but here is a vintage Omega 'Automatic', and a Benrus that needs some love. Interesting history with Benrus watches, with which I was not familiar.
    njt76tqx3cyr.jpg
    And a vintage Movado 'Kingmatic S', which my wife actually took for herself, even though it is clearly a men's design.
    k6e1oqhxqp8k.jpg
    So far, we've gotten the Omega and Movado serviced, and now I'm considering the Benrus. These are all manual wind-up watches, and we are having to spend MUCH more than they are worth to get them repaired, but it's kinda cool to see them running again.

I think the jeweler licks his chops every time we walk in. When he calls us later to discuss estimates, and/or tell us they're ready, he starts with the same line every time: "Hi, I'm calling about your BEAUTIFUL [Omega]/[Movado]/etc. watch,...". He lays it on pretty thick :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    The Monaco V4 by Tag Heuer has always been my favorite. Ifbi could have any watch this would be it.

"Watchismo Times: Tag Heuer's Concept 'Monaco V4 ' Belt Drive Watch" https://watchismo.blogspot.com/2006/11/tag-heuers-concept-v4-monaco-belt-drive.html?m=1

wbgl7ovfvlae.jpg

I remember that one too.

Did you ever pick one up?
  • Joey_V

wbgl7ovfvlae.jpg

I remember that one too.

Did you ever pick one up?

Not the v4, it’s too expensive and I want that Omega and the RG Rootbeer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    WOW my father gave me a Benrus about 40yrs ago. That sucker ticked so loudly I hated wearing it. It has been in my jewelry box for about 39.5 yrs. :smiley:
    I should get it out to see if the battery puked in it.
  • Joey_V
    Keep in mind, watch cost is relative.

What costs more?

A watch that costs $400 but has a $200 resale value?

Or a watch that costs $9000 but has a resale value of $16,000?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I've always wanted a Seiko, as well as a solar powered watch. I picked this one up a while back on Amazon and absolutely love it. I'm not big on gold but I do like the looks of two-tone silver & gold. I paid $199 for it, the most I've ever paid and likely most I ever will pay for a watch

Very nice, Rick. It's astounding that you can get that much watch for $200.
  • Joey_V
    Keep in mind, watch cost is relative.

What costs more?

A watch that costs $400 but has a $200 resale value?

Or a watch that costs $9000 but has a resale value of $16,000?

Very true. However, a couple more things to keep in mind:
    • Some people don't care about resale value when buying a watch
    • Not everyone has the financial resources to pay thousands of dollars for a watch

:)

Agreed.

But there’s more to the watch than retail price, that’s all I’m saying.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited October 2020
    Not everyone has the financial resources to pay thousands of dollars for a watch

Whoever says that should stay away from most of the members on this forum, this is not a frugal friendly place...
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    There is nothing wrong with having a $9000 watch that stays on the winder in the safe and a $200 watch to use everyday. I have been using this $200 Seiko for a few years and it is perfect for everyday. And keeps great time.

vhkagmbfucaj.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What's a winder? Is that something that rocks it back and forth to keep it going?
  • Mikey081057
    yup...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Technically, a winder rotates the watch...wait for it...clockwise and/or counter-clockwise :p
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mikey081057

• Joey_V
    Whoa... didn’t expect to like the Omega Spectre watch....

6lj6e96g9ebt.jpeg
    xrd7un92bdvy.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    That is nice. I gave my Omega to my Dad, miss that weight.
    My Oris is so light. Titanium.
  • Joey_V
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That is nice. I gave my Omega to my Dad, miss that weight.
    My Oris is so light. Titanium.

I’m all for light, but titanium scratches and dings so easily. That’s part of the reason I don’t have one.
  • joecoulson
    Looks so much better than SS though. Worth it IMO
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862

6lj6e96g9ebt.jpeg
    xrd7un92bdvy.jpeg

So Did you take it home?
  • Joey_V
    Willow wrote: »

6lj6e96g9ebt.jpeg
    xrd7un92bdvy.jpeg

So Did you take it home?

Haha
    I would love to, but with my recent audio expenditures I would be a fool to spend all that money in a months and a half’s time. Need to regenerate.
  • joecoulson
    Such a fool for sure....next week then?