Last audio component for the year: stick a fork in me, I’m done.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited October 2020
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Not sure if I would like my kids touching the Avenger Ref. I can only see damage in its future.

Joey, here's an idea. You could get something like this and put it on it's own little stand next to your big rack and plug it into another input on your preamp: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audio-technica-at-lp60x-rd-automatic-turntable-red-black

atlp60x-rd-nolid_1800x.jpg?v=1571265601

Then when you want to play records, you could involve your kids by having them play one of their records on their own turntable, and then you play one of your records on your VPI, and take turns alternating.

That way it involves them with the fun of playing records, but makes it clear that their turntable is theirs, and yours is yours and is not to be touched. :)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Not sure if I would like my kids touching the Avenger Ref. I can only see damage in its future.

Joey, here's an idea. You could get something like this and put it on it's own little stand next to your big rack and plug it into another input on your preamp: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audio-technica-at-lp60x-rd-automatic-turntable-red-black

Then when you want to play records, you could involve your kids by having them play one of their records on their own turntable, and then you play one of your records on your VPI, and take turns alternating.

That way it involves them with the fun of playing records, but makes it clear that their turntable is theirs, and yours is yours and is not to be touched. :)

Genius...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    One word, @Joey_V:

tape.

7bh5d2tkiijc.jpg

g3xcs1mxiay5.jpg

572ae6ti0lyu.jpg

You're welcome.

:smiley:
  • k0tx0hlq7t0t.jpg
    I wonder how this would pair. Only $1200
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Congratulations ! I’m so thankful to have no desire to spin vinyl again but if I did it would have to go like that no question! Enjoy!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Don't forget after cleaning machine to get the proper sleeves to protect you vinyl. Inner and Outer. I highly recommend, https://www.sleevecityusa.com/record-sleeves-s/1828.htm
    Now all you need are the records a wife approved place to store them.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Welcome to the rabbit hole, my friend. I will echo Steve Guttenburg's thoughts on vinyl vs digital in that it depends on the album, the pressing, and the recording. Not all vinyl is superior to digital and vice versa. After many hours of prep, cleaning, dusting (You might want an anti-static machine for your vinyl playback room) there is something cathartic about listening to LPs that streaming just can't match. But, for many, the convenience of streaming vs the labor (of love) with vinyl wins out. Enjoy this new step in your journey and congrats!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Clipdat wrote: »

That way it involves them with the fun of playing records, . :)

So you are advocating child abuse?

• afterburnt
    Joey, now I see why you got that fancy furniture that I was so disappointed with. That is one crazy piece of gear you got. What is the first thing you are gonna listen to on it?

PS now you can get some new pants.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    ^Tics, pops and groove noise, is what. Welcome to the wonderful world of analog.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Congrats on a great piece, Joey! Do you have a dustcover for that bad boy? If not, you should get one fast since you have kids. And if you happen to have any cats, I can tell you from experience - not mine, but a friend - that cats might like to chew on those exposed tonearm wires. I had to repair those wires for my friend on his Traveler.

Of course you also don't want anyone dusting around the turntable. There are lots of stories out there about housekeepers or wives breaking cantilevers while dusting. As I'm sure you know, the cantilever is most fragile and sensitive part of the entire setup.

Enjoy the journey!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    I seriously need more energy and time in the day.

Last night, I sent my wife to bed early (she loves that because then she doesn’t have to worry about the kids and she gets a night off) and I got the kids to bed myself. Then after dinner I took my stack of stereo magazines and went to my room and into my chair. Played with the level of the rack and the table, watched some videos on vpi set up tips, then somehow lost track of time and passed out with stereophile on my lap and my head down in my listening chair. I didn’t even get started listening to Linkin Park last night on my rig!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway, woke up today and kissed my wife good morning, said hello to my kids and went back to say hello to my newborn.

Today’s agenda:

1. Put up halloween decorations outside.
    2. Put away the vpi packaging.
    3. Finish spiking my speakers.
    4. Go to friend’s house and borrow his phono preamp.
    5. Finish my reaching out to Boulder about modifying the amp.
    6. Show Henry how to play Halo on the Focal Kantas.
    7. Spin some records on the Avenger Reference.
    8. Research into the VPI Gimbaled vs Unipivot arm. And why would a second tonearm be a remote consideration.

If I can get half my list done, I’ll be happy.

3 kids:
    52m6nrzgtnw4.jpeg

Newborn:

31fvsv428d6o.jpeg
    9mntf3nvddva.jpeg
    iifad4rm6cf5.jpeg

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    And in one area of the room, my extra panels have become a playhouse. 😳

tb4e9l8hsn4c.jpeg
  • afterburnt
    Joey, why do you wear a kilt anyway, are you like Dutch or something?
  • Joey_V
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Joey, why do you wear a kilt anyway, are you like Dutch or something?
    Haha
    I wear shorts with patterns
  • Joey_V
    ... and just like that, the rack is full.

🤦🏻‍♂️
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I

1. Put up halloween decorations outside.
    2. Put away the vpi packaging.
    3. Finish spiking my speakers.
    4. Go to friend’s house and borrow his phono preamp.
    5. Finish my reaching out to Boulder about modifying the amp.
    6. Show Henry how to play Halo on the Focal Kantas.
    7. Spin some records on the Avenger Reference.
    8. Research into the VPI Gimbaled vs Unipivot arm. And why would a second tonearm be a remote

I approve!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    ... and just like that, the rack is full.

🤦🏻‍♂️

That's the norm with a newborn. :p
  • Oh you audiophiles.
    You audiophiles are all alike.
    You audiophiles only have one thing on your minds.
    My mother warned me about you audiophiles!!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    You are damaging new records by playing them before they are cleaned.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Sounds like a great "start" Joey!
    Thanks for sharing the trip.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Joey. What are you using for a digital streamer?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Static is always the enemy of Vinyl, and it's difficult to control at times. I would remove the Platter Mat and place the records on the the bare platter, the sound will be better this way, mats have a tendency to dull the tone on a VPI Platter. But, you will have to adjust the VTA accordingly. I only use a Mat in the Winter months when the air is dry, plus I place a small Humidifier in the room.

Get a 60Hz. Strobe app for your phone, along with a 'good' Calibration Mat (the one VPI includes is pretty common) for the platter, that will help you check your speed and get it dialed in with the ADS.

If one is serious about Vinyl, you NEED a good Record Cleaning Machine. They are invaluable, the VPI 16.5 does a great job.

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    So, my friend loaned me some of his gear so I could play records.

He loaned me his phono (Rogue Audio Ares), his rca (synergistic research), his power cord (triode wire power cord).

I listened to his system before I went home, we compared digital vs analog, I forget what his digital was, but his tt is VPI classic 3 with Lyra Kleos. We listened to Vanessa Fernandez. I didn't think vinyl was that much better than digital on what I heard there.

I brought home the same record and compared it to digital on my system. First off, the gulf between the two system is large.... but the first thing I noticed in my system was that as good as digital is/was, it was very easy to tell that analog sounds significantly better. And even though digital was not embarrassed, the sounds coming through on phono input was just that much better. I am beginning to realize just how good this table and cart is. I thought I already knew about black backgrounds, but this was just a level up.

Imaging was tighter, I didn't expect this because I thought I already had as tight of an image as possible with my gear. Also, instruments sounded more natural on the table. And there was better space between units in the soundstage on analog. I would say less grain too, but the amount of grain on my Emm/digital is not bad at all.

I learned a few things:
    1. I don't like how I have the table oriented.
    2. I don't like the height at which I have the TT at. I would need a step stool to get a better visual on the unit.
    3. I need a good cleaning system. I noted that new records that I have are not as clean as the records my friend loaned me that he put through his VPI 16.5 cleaning system.
    4. I build up static on the table, the platter mat sticks to my uncleaned brand new records!
    5. I need to figure out a small platform next to my rack where I can put the vinyl sleeves/cardboard, etc. I also need to use that same platform for when I take out the periphery ring and have to lay it somewhere.
    6. I also feel like I want a second arm, with a second cart (something that might be the antithesis to the Lyra Etna... maybe a Koetsu?)....
    7. I also need a better way to know just how fast I'm spinning, I can tell when I'm at 32 or 34 rpm I guess? The ADS has knobs for adjusting the spin of the rim drive.

Oh, and the kids were jumping in the room, no transferthrough of sound through the speakers.

And Emma kept saying, keep playing records... no more computer (CD or stream)...

Welcome to the rabbit hole. You have now entered one of the most expensive and time consuming elements of the audio hobby.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Auditioning Rogue audio Ares from a friend...
    6irz05es665u.jpeg
    o5ky6njvwogc.jpeg
    7yvemw3l17gi.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Joey. What are you using for a digital streamer?

If I stream, I use the bluesound
    If I play CD, I use emm tsdx

But all go to Emm dac2x
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Auditioning Rogue audio Ares from a friend...
    6irz05es665u.jpeg
    o5ky6njvwogc.jpeg
    7yvemw3l17gi.jpeg

I had the Ares in the set-up for close to five years, it's a worthy Preamp. Very responsive to tube rolling as well.