TODAY I STOLE ME A PIECE OF GEAR!

12346»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    I actually just started (or maybe restarted)!
    :)

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    I'm not sure how many people actually read this thread anymore, but I'm beyond ecstatic with how this unit performs.

I'm eating dinner more in the dining room so I can jam out to tunes with it than I ever did before.....

I'm very happy with Volumio for access on my laptop (lets me use Spotify and my NAS), but balena is a bit easier to use since it shows as a Spotify connect option (but limited to just Spotify)....

sdwi8arud9wx.png

Looks cool Dan. Glad you’re happy. Hope you’re not eating dinner in there all by your lonesome!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2020
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many people actually read this thread anymore, but I'm beyond ecstatic with how this unit performs.

I'm eating dinner more in the dining room so I can jam out to tunes with it than I ever did before.....

I'm very happy with Volumio for access on my laptop (lets me use Spotify and my NAS), but balena is a bit easier to use since it shows as a Spotify connect option (but limited to just Spotify)....

Looks cool Dan. Glad you’re happy. Hope you’re not eating dinner in there all by your lonesome!!!

Nope.... tonight it was my youngest and me jamming out. My wife and oldest were out running errands....

and for @mhardy6647 here is a video of the TT in action....

https://youtu.be/yafi1WXNkUc
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    You're gonna need select albums you use exclusively on that TT. Those old TTs of that vintage are really hard on vinyl. You don't want to foul up your good albums with a 3 gram tone arm and a crude stylus. Or needle as they were called back in the day. As a test of my opinion, go to a garage sale and find a well played copy of herb alpert and the tj brass from a console and take it home and play it with a quality TT and stylus. Then spotify the same tune. Haha, the "wonderment of vinyl" has left the room.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • EndersShadow
    Yeah, I'm cool with it faking that its playing a LP since it will spin (there is no needle on the arm anyway), but the actual music comes from the raspberry pi.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    Glad it brings joy!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Old tube rigs rock!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Your company enjoyed the oldies.. The less you know the better it sounds..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • EndersShadow
    Spent most of the last few days trying to rewire the tuner....

Gave up and spent 15 on a digital copy of the Sam’s Photofact for the tuner.....

Then realized I shoulda just done that to begin with lol.

It had the tuning string diagram I needed.

Letting the superglue on the string to dial connection ad hopefully have it back up and running in an hour or so.

My oldest has already asked for specific songs (she obviously doesn’t understand you don’t pick songs but stations).... but it’s cute none the less.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited December 2020
    Way to crush her dreams @EndersShadow :p
  • EndersShadow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Way to crush her dreams @EndersShadow :p

I have a raspberry pi that is hooked up to the phono input so I can do that.... just not with the tuner.

In other news I’ve decided I frigging HATE old tuners....

I get it working, put it in the console...... wire slips....

I take it out and get it working.....

You get the point lol

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    "You get what you pay for" comes to mind >:)

picking on ya'
    Have a Happy New Year Dan :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    "You get what you pay for" comes to mind >:)

picking on ya'
    Have a Happy New Year Dan :)

:tongue: No hard feeling Ivan.... wouldn’t matter if there were.... I can’t take you with my fists..... but I could with my car heheheheh.

Hope you are staying safe and catch you later.

Tuner still a WIP as I can get it to 1/2 turn but that’s it. Working through what part of the instructions I fubar’d lol...
  • pitdogg2
    :D:D:D
    All good
    I bow to you for giving it a go. I'm too chicken :#
  • EndersShadow
    Spent most of today playing with the tuner still.

Each time I put it in the console the dials would either hang at a certain point and not go backwards or forwards.

If I took it out of the console it would instantly work.

I assumed it was something I was doing wrong with the dial wire that let it work when I had it in on the bench but that when installing it something kept jiggling loose causing it to fail.

After calling my local shop for advice he suggested it sounded like something in the console was causing the wheels or dial to bind up.

Turns out that was it.

With the clips installed on the sides and bottom of the tuner it stopped working. The clips apply pressure between the tuner and the sides of the console to keep the tuner from moving. Additionally the metal lip at the back was also contributing to the problem.

I have no idea how I messed up their reinstallation, but in the end I removed all other clips and the dial now is able to move forwards and backwards freely.

There is a bit of movement that the tuner can do side to side, but it’s still screwed in on the bottom so I am not as concerned.

Fired it up and after creating a makeshift FM antenna with old Audiquest FLX 14/2 speaker wire had FM with no problem at all.

Can’t get the volume over 3 before it gets too loud lol.

I also hid the Raspberry Pi inside the console. I had swapped it for the Chromecast due to having networking issues that resulted in being unable to control it via the Spotify app on my phone. I still had those issues with the PI but was able to work around them for now, and have a permanent fix in the works.

I have a SD extension cable coming that I will install on the back of the unit so I can easily switch OS’s without having to take the back off.

I have a couple more mods for the pi to complete which will likely be done incrementally over the next few months

-Buy and Install HiFiBerry DAC card (so I can stop using the headphone out)
    - Hardwire via Ethernet to network (this will solve the control problem permanently)
    - Buy a better PSU to power it rather than the iPhone charger connected to a USB to MicroUSB cable. I am thinking a linear PSU which I will mount in such a way I can easily turn it on and off so the PI isn’t running 24/7
    - Buy and Install Touchscreen and figure out how to install inside console without drastic mods to the interior of the unit

I need to confirm that the software I plan to use (Volumio) is compatible with the touchscreen and DAC.

Last I heard the DAC was not a problem but they were still working to integrate with the Raspberry Pi touchscreen.

Either way their is a iPhone control app so if the touchscreen doesn’t work I can still control it headless via my phone.

The touchscreen would simply allow me to control it entirely from the console.

I will post a video tomorrow of the tuner in action.
  • Still going strong it appears!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2021
    Your downtime seems very beneficial
    Congrats Dan
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Your downtime seems very beneficial
    Congrats Dan

Thanks! Something good comes out of losing 1 lobe of lung lol......

I went ahead and ordered the DAC last night along w the SD card extender.

DAC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017L7K4BE?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

SD extension: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D9J8KQE?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Now I can use those nice Canare RCAs you sent me a while back with it.

I found out Volumio works w the Official Pi Touchscreen, however that screen uses the same connector as the DAC, so I will have to try some other screens that use USB for the touchscreen portion and HDMI or the screen connector for the display.

Prefer HDMI and USB as I can get longer cable’s easily to extend those.

As a FYI I did debate using THIS DAC instead https://www.amazon.com/Allo-C1021-Boss-DAC/dp/B07191SYFH/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=HiFiBerry&qid=1611423034&sr=8-17
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2021
    The DAC came in today. I got it hooked up and rocking pretty easily. My Volumio install needed some updates and afterwards appear to be more stable on my network so for now I will hold off on hardwiring it.

I’d like to thank Ivan @pitdogg2 for donating some cables to replace the stock ones from the 60s lol...

Stock Cables:
    0p4p32cai8v8.jpeg
    lpbwwt3jb8x9.jpeg

Replacements: One set of Canare (used by the HiFiBerry), the other an older pair of Sony interconnects (Used by the tuner and the Vibrasonic device)
    ckstw0y6fliz.jpeg
    hbtxhng66ftk.jpeg
    bwftnms081dm.jpeg

Pictures of the Raspberry Pi with the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro installed
    1zegnxb84ib2.jpeg
    vxpu5yp56aci.jpeg
    5bxzugw60up0.jpeg

Pics of the unit installed as well as the preamp showing the new cables connected.
    of6sh3zbxz34.jpeg
    hn1qogjcq7l7.jpeg
    gfl0xkdov87t.jpeg

I need to grab some double sided tape as the extension will be flush with the back but still easily accessible. I also plan to attach a bag containing the other SD Cards that I switch in as needed.

2g8zeac5on5k.jpeg
    va3806whn3ir.jpeg

And lastly a video of the tuner back in working condition....

https://youtu.be/2UTKOrrsa1M
  • txcoastal1
    What...no video of you playing air guitar...pffft
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637

prz38ls9oaxi.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2021

Nope..... once it’s on the internet or someone’s phone.... it’s out there forever...

Exhibit #1:
    fastcvmizcma.gif

Exhibit #2
    47nvboz67qgy.jpeg

Interestingly enough the same person is in both of these.....
  • txcoastal1

• txcoastal1
    NOT!!!

• pitdogg2
    Very nice Dan!
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,225
    edited January 2021
    And now for SDA crossover networks ! No, for real, that is nice, very nice. Great work.
  • EndersShadow
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    And now for SDA crossover networks ! No, for real, that is nice, very nice. Great work.

Lol.... nah..... I think the ONLY upgrade at this point would be to replace this cap in both the left and right speakers with a basic Dayton equivalent to ensure the crossover point between the drivers hasn’t drifted over the years.

qbn8m18wo0ry.jpeg

Otherwise nothing else to do sonically, as the speakers inside are not exactly “hifi”, nor do I intend to upgrade them to be so (at least for now), hence not spending crazy money on replacement tubes etc.

Maybe someday when I have a fair amount of extra money burning a hole in my pocket I will look into replacing the speakers with better ones...