TODAY I STOLE ME A PIECE OF GEAR!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Looks like it gave up its vacuum :p
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I have a couple of questions for people.

1. Any suggestions on how to clean up the chassis?
    2. Can I clean the tube sockets and if so with what and how
    3. From the underside, what are the parts I need to be replacing.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks like it gave up its vacuum :p

Yup, thankfully I had a few spares that were in the chassis so I can replace it. I might also replace the other tube pictured as it just looks a little too "toasty" to me.

Also my buddy is gonna loan me his variac to test the amp for any issues. I'm also gonna take it by his shop next week for him to give it a quick once over to look for issues.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    Deoxit on the tube sockets
    Tape off the tube sockets and try fritz metal cleaner.
    All i got
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Deoxit on the tube sockets
    Tape off the tube sockets and try fritz metal cleaner.
    All i got

Thanks. I will deoxit that.

I'm debating how "nice" I want to upgrade things as well.

There are a couple RCA connectors (phono and another set of RCA's) that look super old and corroded.

Wondering if I want to use some BJC LC-1's to replace both sets, or something around that pricepoint.

Ryan suggested Brasso for the chassis so I may try that first.

I also need to clean the RCA jacks as well so I will be using the cool tool I got from @helipilotdoug years ago that was made for just this purpose.

1364056739707-535133947.jpeg

I'm also thinking about installing Y connectors for the phono as I "may" later on use a actual TT with this setup, but NOT the one thats hear already since it sucks. I'd connect the one there just so its connected, but install some RCA jacks on the back of the unit to hookup an external one.... but I think thats just me being silly on both counts......

I will likely upgrade the FM RCA input, and also the input from the reverb unit since those functions will actually be used. The TT will likely just stay totally stock.

Then I add in the chromecast that I got from Ryan to play audio........

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Is your goal to use just the power amplifier or are you going to reconstitute the original console? Sorry I can't remember, and (at least at the moment!) I am too lazy to go back & look. :(

The latter will be easier, of course.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    What an amazing project and thread!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Is your goal to use just the power amplifier or are you going to reconstitute the original console? Sorry I can't remember, and (at least at the moment!) I am too lazy to go back & look. :(

The latter will be easier, of course.

Plan is to get it back to totally working and in as good condition as I can. It’s got some wear and tear but the kind that shows character and it was actually USED.

The TT will spin (but not be connected to the preamp). It will be cleaned up so it looks as close to new as possible.

The Radio will work as normal, and the preamp will also function as normal. The only tweak is adding another input that will be used for a Streaming Device (at this point a chrome cast audio). Not sure how we will do that, potentially highjack the phono input on the preamp.

The internal wiring will remain with the exception of the RCA cables which I will prob replace. I have a pair of MIT RCAs that may be used for the Radio to preamp connection, and then the preamp to reverb section.

Maybe I will upgrade the bass driver if it’s worth it. Something more efficient or that has a bit linger throw... but that’s prob just going too far.

Tons of pics incoming. Got it fully disassembled this morning and took a ton more pics.
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2018
    The pre-amp continued to fight me for a few hours this morning. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't just lift out.... Finally went at it from a different perspective (removed the knobs) and realized it was screwed in from the top..... Then it all came out fast.

All controls, RCA plugs, and tube sockets were given generous amounts of de-oxit because it will have months to dry lol....

Everything taken out (except the TT)

b9nqbg7c779p.jpeg

Most important thing is to label EVERYTHING! I think I went through a roll of labelmaker tape, but better do it now while its fresh than try to figure it out later. Every disconnected wire was labeled with where it connected to, and if it was going to the amp, from the amp, to the tuner, etc.

jnynpbuvr2mw.jpeg

Pre-amp model:
    te249cbrhdyz.jpeg
    qjn48ml6wtaw.jpeg

Pre-amp removed (Finally)
    79g92heivho5.jpeg

Pre-amp internals
    ahdbz52vfz1n.jpeg

I'm guessing that big can and then these brown tootsie roll things are what need to be replaced right?
    jyu0oc2fp7vo.jpeg
    9mk7spob7to7.jpeg

Both Speaker Sections
    p7yw0dqnx481.jpeg

Right speaker section
    x9hqxehs39t6.jpeg

Left Speaker Section
    berecw74kad4.jpeg

12" Woofer
    t6p85ib5b4zx.jpeg
    8rty0o5hvvsc.jpeg
    lbmvkw1ywna7.jpeg

Reverb unit - Made by Hammond
    4cdgbkaxby3b.jpeg
    jajzrqfubz65.jpeg

Its now all been put back into the chassis and will be taken out piece by piece and gone over.

All the drivers appear to be in perfect shape, so its mainly checking the Pre-amp, Tuner and Amp for caps/resistors that need replaced, ensuring the tubes work (plan to have them all tested shortly), and then make sure the tuner alignment works.

Potentially take the lamps and replace with LED's but thats a maybe.....
    Post edited by EndersShadow on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited November 2018
    Sounds like a good plan.
    I would change the aluminum (can) electrolytics (all of 'em); the film capacitors may well be OK. Tread lightly around the tuned circuits in the FM radio :p

The cartridge is presumably ceramic, so the phono input can frankly be used as is for a line level input (although the loading should be adjusted a bit for best results).

• EndersShadow
    I ain’t touching none of it doc lol....

I’m handling logistics of ordering the parts, and the light work and that’s about it lol...

I’m not gonna try to learn on a piece this nice.
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2018
    I "think" this is the tuner schematic (found here)

HS-997 (missing the B)

• EndersShadow
    edited May 2020
    Wow, has it really been three years?

Yesterday my tech finally began looking at the unit.

We are starting with the tube amp and bringing it up spec and testing tubes.

Not a lot needing replacement on the tube amp, just three parts I believe to the tube of 85 bucks w labor (assuming the tubes all test correctly). We are replacing the aluminum (can) electrolytics (all of 'em), and a coupling caps if they are bad.

He hopes to have it ready by weeks end.

Once’s that’s complete, we will move onto the preamp, and see what’s needed to get it to accept the chromecast or any other line level device (gives me lots of fun options in the near future, like a raspberry pi streamer or others :smile: ).

The phono input may stay, but be wired for an external TT as the one inside is junk, but that may be too much of a PITA compared to just eliminating it entirely.

Lastly we will address the tuner and make sure it’s up to snuff as well.

So there has finally been a bit more progress and if all goes well within the next few months I will have the pre and amp working so I can at least use the unit.

I’d also like to give a belated thanks to Russ @lightman1 for wiring me up a 4 outlet box so I can have a single plug at the wall, but have 4 outlets inside the unit for devices like the chromecast, and the tube amp, with 2 left over for expansion if I decide to go crazy.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    @EndersShadow

Just read this thread for the first time.

An incredible journey!! I'm sure you will turn it into a family heirloom for your loved ones down the road to enjoy for years. Document the process as much as possible with your personal family pictures so when they look back, they will know your faces.

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • EndersShadow
    @EndersShadow

Just read this thread for the first time.

An incredible journey!! I'm sure you will turn it into a family heirloom for your loved ones down the road to enjoy for years. Document the process as much as possible with your personal family pictures so when they look back, they will know your faces.

Harry

Already planned to.

Once it’s restored I’m building a binder of the text, information, along with photos of the restoration and hiding it inside the unit.
  • EndersShadow
    Console is 95% done. We replaced all the electrolyics in the amp and pre-amp.

Taking a look at the schematics we determined that the pre-amp was perfectly suited to take the chromecast with no adjustments.

There was no RIAA equalization applied, and was suited for a line level sources.

Since I had no plans to ever use the turntable with the unit, we just disconnected it and connected the Chromcast (3.5mm to RCA) instead.

The tuner still needs some work as the dial is not working as well as it did before, but otherwise the unit has been put back together and is jamming as we speak.

Big shoutouts to both @erniejade for the Chromecast Audio and @lightman1 for making me a 4 outlet junction box to hide inside the unit so I can connect the chromecast and tube amp with space left for additions.

Honestly this unit sounds STUPID GOOD for how old it is.

I'm honestly thinking about adding a linear PSU for the chromecast just to take it up a notch.

That and grabbing a better 3.5mm to RCA cable than I have now. Nothing crazy price wise, but I think I've got a Gas Station/Radio Shack cable right now.

The speakers I see NO REASON to do anything with.

The chromecast is set to full dynamic range and 75%. That seems to be the best balance I've found.

The actual preamp on the console I'm lucky to get it to 5 on the dial before it starts to drive me out of the room.

Bass is very full. Its not going to kick you in the chest, but I dont expect that. Its just full and crisp.

Anyway, some pictures will be forthcoming shortly.
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited August 2020
    Such a cool project. I can’t believe I just saw the thread. Lucky for you, haha. That such a attractive cabinet. I’m glad you enjoyed the experience. Back in the day my dad had a friend with a Motorola console. People would assume it was a Magnavox and that was always the beginning of school for the poor suckers. They get a 20 minute lecture on the vast superiority of Motorola. I looked the guy up a few years ago and we had a cool visit. I told him I just restored a Maganavox console “just like his”, just to wind him up again. Priceless.

I did a restoration on a Zenith console with the cobramatic turntable a few years ago and I’m running low on projects. I’ve been planning for awhile to drag the amp out again and install a jack for a chrome cast. Maybe I’ll start tomorrow.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,076

Very nice Dan! You got me wanting to get this one of mine going. Mine is in very good condition, it's buried in my basement for now or I'd have a photo of it. It's an early 1960's Pilot console identical to the photo shown.

9cea5dz2zxuq.png
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2020
    Yeah in my case I got lucky with being able to re-use the phono input with no modifications.

I do have two things I just noticed I need to fix for myself lol...

1. I have two burnt out bulbs on the unit. One is under the channel verification, the other buried in the unit meant to light a little plastic red light to indicate the unit is on. Both bulbs are 1847 ones so I'm buying 2 regular 1847's those and then a set of 15 LED replacements.
    2. The TT, while connected to power via its molex does not spin when turned on. This might be due to not having the RCA's connected, but might be something else.

When the dial on the TT is in the ON position, and the unit is turned off, there is a delay and then a spring triggers that dial to go to off and the LP spins a bit.

Neither are critical, but #1 will drive me nuts. #2 not as much since the TT wont actually ever play, but it would be nice to have it still be able to spin just so I know if I ever got dumb and wanted to connect it, I could.

@aprazer402 .... that Pilot looks really cool. Pull it out and get to it.... not like your traveling anywhere anytime soon lol....

@dcmeigs yes, I've enjoyed digging into the company history to try and get manuals and schematics for these units.

The goal is to document everything, print it double sided in nice color, and then laminate everything, put it in a binder and hid it inside the unit for the next owner to find.

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2020
    I also forgot to post where the chromecast is hiding...

w74h6dh2i3m9.jpeg

Tucked right under the turntable :smile:

Oh..... and you CAN'T have a post about TUBES without a TUBE GLOW picture or two

9goxjz1501ib.jpeg

zba8szuqtbhm.jpeg
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Looking good!!
  • dcmeigs
    edited August 2020
    Those turntables are a real PITA. I about as certain as I can possibly be that it doesn’t matter whether the RCAs are connected. The motor is probably serviceable, but these usually have an idler wheel and the rubber is almost always as hard as a rock. Back in the day you could buy replacements but by now even the NOS wheels have hardened. There is a thing where you soak them in a solution to soften them up but it’s never worked for me. The problem you’re having could probably be fixed with cleaning and lubrication of the motor and mechanism but the idler wheel is likely a deal breaker unless you have the skills and determination to build a replacement. You’ll be able to get it to turn but it will rumble and sound like wood on metal. Don’t mean to sound like Debbie Downer but that’s my cruel experience.
    Post edited by dcmeigs on
  • EndersShadow
    Many folks have suggested ripping it out and dropping in another turntable but I just can’t bring myself to do that.

If I can get it turning cool. If not, I will still leave it in there.

I honestly don’t plan on spinning LPs on it either way.

The chromecast and radio were main drivers. I like how simple it is to work lol
  • dcmeigs
    Look at what I found in the big “box-o-crap”. It has a big divot where the rusty motor spindle set against it for years.

9yr5q96gkdf5.jpeg

6t9oorjqk1en.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    That'll buff right out
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2020
    Got in the new LED 1847 bulb replacements.

6chytqzuwuw4.jpeg

MAN THEY ARE BRIGHT!

ucqpszutr0im.jpeg

View of "power on button"
    yrobk3zco32b.jpeg

Turntable light so you can switch LP's at night

7imn4g21n7fz.jpeg

The remaining replacements are hidden inside the unit.

ou19xqa4z0o5.jpeg

• EndersShadow
    Got a new router and it screwed with my chromecast working, so thats not a good option for the console anymore.

Thankfully I had a raspberry pi lying around so I substituted it running running balena and it works great!

I will be upgrading my Raspberry Pi to add a HiFiBerry Pro+ unit for a slightly better DAC, and also looking for some RCA cables. Nothing pricey as its honestly not a hifi console.

I also am experimenting with Volumio (on another SD card) and thinking about touchscreens possibly, but thats a bit longer away.

I spent some time doing some more cleaning of the unit today as well. I decided to try and be fancy and fix the tuning dial, but that didnt work so well, so I've got to have my tech look at it still. I was able to get the bulbs replaced and the faceplate cleaned quite a bit up.

I also disconnected the turntable, took it out of the unit and gave it a deep clean.

After turning the preamp to phono and hiting the turntable on, it just started spinning.

It could be something as simple as not having the molex connected as tight as it should be, but its spinning with no problem at all.

I may go back on my word and try to get it fully functional just for giggles.....

I know I need a needle and likely to better understand how the actual unit works, but I'm in no rush.
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2020
    I'm not sure how many people actually read this thread anymore, but I'm beyond ecstatic with how this unit performs.

I'm eating dinner more in the dining room so I can jam out to tunes with it than I ever did before.....

I'm very happy with Volumio for access on my laptop (lets me use Spotify and my NAS), but balena is a bit easier to use since it shows as a Spotify connect option (but limited to just Spotify)....

sdwi8arud9wx.png