RD0 Billet Faceplate Upgrade

So here is the latest and greatest visual upgrade for my sda 2.3s and I like the looks of it. Very easy to install and the billet is a very big improvement over the oem plastic plates. Very good craftsmanship. I can't thank xschop enough for these beauty's.
qo213jqc4sg8.jpg

So I started by removing the rdos from the speakers then I removed the 4 screws from the tweeters themselves. Then I removed the magnet from the tweeter coil. The tweeter coil and dome remained attached to the plastic faceplate. Remembering the orientation I removed it and placed it on the magnet. Pretty simple. They are easy to pull off.
rqimqx2r7ljk.jpg

Cover the wire leads on each side of the tweeter dome with electrical tape.
l9nt0cvr5r9a.jpg

kknfaqifq1gk.jpg

I added the billet faceplate which fit perfectly. Installed the 4 original screws. Installed original gasket. Then installed back into speaker cabinet.

34lgbeunj4t1.jpg
cgf190kz67by.jpg
The finished results are some very sophisticated looking 2.3s
Nice job xschop!!!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Looks very nice.
    I'm left wondering if painting the recess with the 3m or other electrical paint or even a few layers of plastic dip would work as well or better.

https://www.google.com/search?source=android-browser&q=Liquid+Electrical+Tape&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDta7iyqLrAhVzds0KHctuDzkQ1QIwB3oECAsQBg&biw=360&bih=598
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks very nice.
    I'm left wondering if painting the recess with the 3m or other electrical paint or even a few layers of plastic dip would work as well or better.

https://www.google.com/search?source=android-browser&q=Liquid+Electrical+Tape&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiDta7iyqLrAhVzds0KHctuDzkQ1QIwB3oECAsQBg&biw=360&bih=598

If I would have had some of that liquid tape on hand I would have definitely used it. Don't really want to take them all apart again though lol.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks very nice.

If I would have had some of that liquid tape on hand I would have definitely used it. Don't really want to take them all apart again though lol.

OH NO I wouldn't do that either, I was just really thinking out loud so to speak
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited August 2020
    My new favorite SDAs right there. Wish I could hear Pink Floyd's Time on them.

You're right. Larger billet spikes with the same patina will indeed tie it all in.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I just finished one of my 1.2tls and I agree; these plates are the real deal. They look great and I've gained a full second on my passive returning to normal vs the old plastic plates.
    I also like your idea SR of taping the tweeter leads as opposed to taping the plates which is how I installed half of mine. I used gorilla outdoor tape as it's very sticky; much more so than regular duct tape or plastic electrical tape.
  • xschop wrote: »
    My new favorite SDAs right there. Wish I could hear Pink Floyd's Time on them.

You're right. Larger billet spikes with the same patina will indeed tie it all in.

Waiting on you for the spikes!!! Paypal is ready
  • Outlaw9
    Outlaw9 Posts: 11
    Guys you need to look at the rubber 3m splice tape. Absolutely excellent for gaskets, amongst other things. I have a set of these on order. I think the only way to seal the cabinets tighter would be to seal the silk dust caps somehow...
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    edited August 2020
    Hmm....self fusing Ethylene Propylene Rubber, 0.75" wide x 30 mills thick. I'm guessing it has no adhesive but stretches and sticks only to itself? What would you use to attach it to the basket flanges? Weatherstrip adhesive? Contact Cement? Ayleens Tacky Glue?

Maybe the dust caps leak a little air by design? Maybe the annular space between the inside of the voice coil and the pole piece restricts air leakage to some extent, or slows it down, along with the dust cap.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited March 2021
    I like them un-bling'ed too.
    I'm hoping someone with a fancy laser makes some nice new gaskets to take advantage of the larger sealing area.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2021
    I still have mil connections. Stealth technology disguised in a Rust-Oleum can and the IR absorption properties will do amazing things. Borrowed from the "range"...area 51/martians. I laugh at CP black paint. This is the elusive black paint times infinity.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • xschop
    I remember the mil-spec olive drab spray cans we had a ton of in the Air Force. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    xschop wrote: »
    When Polk went to the curved bezel to remedy diffraction, they used less dense and less rigid plastic. This obviously introduced resonances and screw torque deformities.
    There is a reason why so many people highly regard the early Peerless metal plate tweeters.
    You can torque them down and increase baffle stiffness in the tweeter cut-out region.

It's density, In my opinion, is what allows the dome/diaphragm to translate the frequencies more precise without losing the energy back into bezel.

That said, I'm glad you're happy. I know I have been just a surprised as you. When I rebuilt a set of 5Bs recently, I got more clarity and a better stereo image from the exact same dome/diaphragm transferred from factory plastic bezel to the new billet frames. I noticed a stiffer baffle area between tweeter and MW just using hurricane nuts.

Also. Im just as thrilled with the erie precision that these (new to me)RTA 8TLs are exhibiting with the swap. The SL2500s sound pretty good, but the RD0198's with the billet tweeter plates are night and day in soundstage and imaging, not to mention clarity.

I'll make more.

It would be interesting to make some curved bezels from your billet aluminum for the Peerless to see if there is any improvement to be gained there. I realize not many would want to go to the trouble of moving over their dome/voicecoil from their original plates so may need to also put new silk dome/voicecoils in at the same time. I think that if the DCR's are lower or different, that you should be able to make the necessary adjustment to the XO resistor value. Not sure. Easy for those (like me) who have external tweeter fuses to experiment and find correct resistance value by substituting small resistors for the fuse to find the best overall resistance.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 2021
    I believe VR3's ANTI-diffraction pads will be an easy remedy for the flat peerless plates.

I can say that these billet plates are much stiffer and more dense than the factory Peerless plates even.
  • Gardenstater
    They are without a doubt stiffer. Even when one knows not to over-torque the attachment screws there is considerable bowing of the Peerless bezel. Hopefully this shows in the photo below.

cn1gudb4d5u9.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    We all know from architecture that bridges are much stronger and more rigid when they are in the form of an Arch. Polk knew that if they were going to use a low Modulus of Elasticity material like plastic that they would need to arch it as well as rib it, since they weren't about to make it solid plastic.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • JayCee
    You can torque them down and increase baffle stiffness in the tweeter cut-out region.

It's density, In my opinion, is what allows the dome/diaphragm to translate the frequencies more precise without losing the energy back into bezel.

I noticed a stiffer baffle area between tweeter and MW just using hurricane nuts.

...erie precision...night and day in soundstage and imaging, not to mention clarity.

I'll make more.

I'm pretty sure the MW's benefit from the stiffer area and it translates to the entire frequency spectrum, not just the highs. Low bass appears to improve from the increased clarity, too. Plates need to be used in conjunction with hurricane's or rings; original screws/holes will strip without it. I'm able to apply unbelievable torque.

You can see the outline from the plastic bezel and how it creates an air void on the gasket. Now, it's 100% compressed. There's also a slight gasket overhang on the edge of the cabinet the tweeter passes through and it results in a glove-like/snug fit around the magnet. Any thoughts on if/what the Armaflex might be doing?
    di5mmdk0e7qu.jpg

There's an internal brace in the area of the two tweeters I show above. I wonder if an even stiffer brace design throughout the cabinet might be beneficial? From memory, there is/are one...maybe two more. The carbon fiber musings from the new CP member might be something to consider???

Thanks, glad to see you'll make more plates. Trey's diffusion pads/rings should be delivered, today. Hoping they'll continue the improvements with the off-axis diffraction and room reflections.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • xschop
    Because of the thin offshoots of those integral ribs of the plastic bezels, I can see where air escapes along their paths to the bezel perimeters near where the tab cutouts are located.

I've been using 1mm thick PVA foam as it can be reused multiple times, but the armaflex should compress really thin, wouldn't you say?

I've started the work on the steel MW backing rings. The 1/4" aluminum prototypes were good enough, but steel will be the cat's meow.

• xschop
    edited March 2021
    Curious...How thick is the flat sheet Armacell?
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    it compresses very nicely and works great.
  • xschop
    I do have some 1/8" thick PVA, but it doesn't compress far enough. It cuts out really quick with scissors tho.
  • Gardenstater
    What is PVA used for? Is that medical foam? Open cell?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    It's available in hobby/craft stores. Polyvinyl acetate.
  • Gardenstater
    EVA I know about. Apparently also called PEVA (polyethylene vinyl acetate). Is it this?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-vinyl_acetate
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Probably, being 2 carbon backbone (ethylene)
    Ive always called it PVA. I have lots of different thicknesses. The 1mm stuff is like $2 for a 12x12 sheet.
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    ...but the armaflex should compress really thin, wouldn't you say?

Yes, it does. I made those gaskets about 8 years ago. Created a cardboard template and did a big run for all my SDA's. Still as pliable as the day they were installed and will compress as much as can be torqued. Your plates are the bees knees for this. Also, experimented back when the rope caulk gasket was the rage on CP. Sealed but big fail for longevity, drying out and tore up the cabinet when trying to remove.

I wasn't clear in what I asked above. I meant to say, what are your thoughts on if the Armaflex might also work to dampen; kind of like Dynamat & work in conjunction with the new bezels? You're absolutely right...air gap on the plastic bezel is channeled and a weak link. Don't really perceive a difference in the driver push test time, but probably is helping the bass.

I asked Trey if he could fabricate the gaskets from Armaflex but, as @Gardenstater looked for, he'd need to know what it's made of to see if the laser is compatible and probably requires a sheet vs the roll.