Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    xschop wrote: »
    Those 10B's are interesting but I don't like what I've heard about the imaging issues. I have 2 extra 7B crossovers. I wonder how the 10B's would sound if you disconnected either the inner or outer MW's and used a 7B crossover instead? Would they sound as nice as a 7B only with deeper bass? I realize that you might need to swap out the MW with one that is compatible with the 7B crossover, but I also have some spare MW6500's as well as some USA Peerless tweets.

The 10Bs sound fantastic when converted to SDAs using CRS+ crossovers. The lobing issue is gone and soundstage expands.

That sounds like a great idea. Do you know anyone who has CRS+ crossovers for sale, from a parted out one? I'll put in a saved search on eBay but I won't hold my breath.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    What ohms are your spare mw6500s?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    DC resistance 6.5 Ohms, Nom. impedance 8.0 Ohms

Driver: MW 6500 Driver's model #.
    Brand: Polk Driver's brand name.
    Fs: 31.0000 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 2.6486 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.2190 Total Q
    Qms: 1.3000 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.2640 Electrical Q
    Sd: 0.0130 M^2 (Piston area)
    Xmax: 3.1800 mm (Cone excursion, linear)
    Revc: 6.5000 ohms (DC resistance)
    Znom: 8.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)
    Pmax: 35.0000 watts maximum rated power
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    You have to replace one of the mw6503s with preferably mw6511 for the SDA drivers.
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Thanks. Good to know. I guess that complicates things. One thing for sure there is a plentiful supply of unmodded 10's being sold, and one could probably be had on the cheap, for it's box and passive and perhaps one of the MW's could stay. The issue will be finding a CRS+ crossover for sale, or point to point wiring up one myself with high end components. I'd prefer to get a stock crossover to check the feasibility of the whole project before spending the cash for all the upgrade crossover components. It's something to think about as long as it's cheaper than buying a used SDA and for the entertainment value of trying something new. If it turned out to be a great sounding little speaker perhaps someone could make circuit boards for the crossovers to be populated by people's choice of components and it would be cool to be able to take all those unrespected 10's out there to a much higher level.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Let me check my stash. I think I still have an unmodded set.
  • xschop
    Seems like PMs aren't working again here. I have an extra set I got from another member last year or so. PM me if you're interested.
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Price may be a bit high at $300 but I think these RTA 11 (also referred to as Monitor 11) are pretty rare, and as it has been said here by others, is what the Monitor 10's should've been. No affiliation. Chester Springs PA:

One MW handles 3.5kHz and below and is phase compensated and the other Woofer handles 400Hz and below and is impedance compensated.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/chester-springs-two-vintage-polk-audio/7169647394.html

bhldmm86v7ic.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    I like my 10's. I bought them new in the 80's. Served me well all through college and now they are a part of my office system. Carver Pre with and Adcom amp. Of course I'm not really sure what people mean when they start throwing terms out. I have always wanted to get in on a Polk get together to see if someone can explain it to me. I'm a first person learner....
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087

These SOLD in one day! No Affil.

up9fdjln4xgh.jpg

0nvpj7slu8g8.jpg
  • aprazer402
    edited August 2020
    Price may be a bit high at $300 but I think these RTA 11 (also referred to as Monitor 11) are pretty rare, and as it has been said here by others, is what the Monitor 10's should've been. No affiliation. Chester Springs PA:

One MW handles 3.5kHz and below and is phase compensated and the other Woofer handles 400Hz and below and is impedance compensated.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/chester-springs-two-vintage-polk-audio/7169647394.html

bhldmm86v7ic.png

The 11's are rare. Did you buy them? If I find a nice pair local I'm buying.

Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • Gardenstater
    If only it were in my budget and only 1hr, 45m drive. Those are really really nice (except for the tweeter). Original owner too. I'm not even done with the upgrades in my 7B's yet, but if I could do it all over again I would prefer to have these I think. We don't have an actual schematic of this one so I wonder what the MW drivers were in these, and whether it would also be an option to SDA these with a 2B or CRS+ crossover.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Sometimes I answer my own questions. It had 2 MW6510's. So it could be SDA'd without any driver swap outs with a CRS+ Blade-Blade crossover. Same driver compliment. Or swap out one of the MW6510's for a MW6511 (or perhaps MW6502) and use a 2B or CRS+ Pin-Blade Crossover.

https://polksda.com/monitor11.shtml

But of course I'd like to listen a long while first as is. :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    I would say 11's are very rare. I see all the others fairly often. I'd love to complete my Monitor collection with a set of them. I think I have all the Monitor but them.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Gardenstater
    Apparently the very earliest ones had Peerless (so called HF1000?) and 2 MW6600s

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/if/m12xmg945hv4.pdf
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • aprazer402
    Sometimes I answer my own questions. It had 2 MW6510's. So it could be SDA'd without any driver swap outs with a CRS+ Blade-Blade crossover. Same driver compliment. Or swap out one of the MW6510's for a MW6511 (or perhaps MW6502) and use a 2B or CRS+ Pin-Blade Crossover.

https://polksda.com/monitor11.shtml

But of course I'd like to listen a long while first as is. :)

Re-read Jesse's comments in the second post in this discussion;
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2542740#Comment_2542740

If I had 11's I would leave them intact, no reconfiguring to CRS+, but upgrade the crossover caps and tweeters.
  • Gardenstater
    Jesse's comments about how it's a better speaker than the 10? Yep and I agree it must be, without having heard both. I posted something to the effect previously.

I want to hear and experiment with SDA at this point. If I can do that with an unmodified 2B or CRS+ that would be preferred by me. But if I happened to have these speakers AND CRS+ or 2B crossovers and interconnect, I do believe that I would really like to experiment with SDA without having to damage or modify these speakers in any way. Those who have done so to the 10 have reported excellent results.....Tenneman xschop. To each his/her own! :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • aprazer402
    Jesse's comments about how it's a better speaker than the 10? Yep and I agree it must be, without having heard both. I posted something to the effect previously.

I want to hear and experiment with SDA at this point. If I can do that with an unmodified 2B or CRS+ that would be preferred by me. But if I happened to have these speakers AND CRS+ or 2B crossovers and interconnect, I do believe that I would really like to experiment with SDA without having to damage or modify these speakers in any way. Those who have done so to the 10 have reported excellent results.....Tenneman xschop. To each his/her own! :)

No problem, I fully understand your position. We are free to modify. Many people here share their good experiences as well as their not so good. We learn from both. Being the original 11's are so rare, that's the reason I would leave them stock configured. But add new tweeter and caps. In fact I have a pair of SDA 2A's I would like to perform the TL mod on. It has the double board crossover and wouldn't be cost effective to upgrade it back to just a average performing 2A. :)
  • Gardenstater
    I would leave them stock too. And would certainly enjoy listening to them for at least a month or much more and if I could afford to do so I would upgrade the factory crossover as well. If I decided to experiment with SDA I wouldn't do anything to the box except perhaps mount an extra crossover component inside the cabinet, on a brace or the back of the cabinet. Certainly nothing that couldn't be reversed without anybody knowing, and rest assured that all the original components would be lovingly tucked into zip lock bags and place in a box to be properly restored to their rightful positions in the future, should that be desired, and to appease even Matthew Polk himself :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Found this NOS driver on eBay but it is not a model I can currently use. MW*6*5*0*1 if anybody has been looking for one of these, jump on this. Used in the SDA 1A, 1, 2, M10, RTA 12. No affiliation. PS: Let me know if you got it and you're a Polk Forum member. Just nice to know I didn't waste my time :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-Polk-Audio-mw-6501-woofer/324262810914?hash=item4b7f91d522:g:qjkAAOSwQUdfJkmn

wozmugv3zvq0.png
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Those are very hard to come by.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    that is a darn good price
  • Gardenstater
    I want to believe that there is something wrong with those! Or is it just another crazy Californian? :D
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Well that's great I suppose. Hopefully whoever buys them doesn't part them out to make $150 profit.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Best looking 10's that would make it easy to part with Ulysses.
  • https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/d/bloomfield-vintage-polk-7b-monitor/7153570757.html

bkvdqyfioanu.jpg
    Monitor 7B for $75 in NJ

...on the fence about getting these to use while my crossovers are getting rebuilt
  • Gardenstater
    Found this NOS driver on eBay but it is not a model I can currently use. MW*6*5*0*1 if anybody has been looking for one of these, jump on this. Used in the SDA 1A, 1, 2, M10, RTA 12. No affiliation. PS: Let me know if you got it and you're a Polk Forum member. Just nice to know I didn't waste my time :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-Polk-Audio-mw-6501-woofer/324262810914?hash=item4b7f91d522:g:qjkAAOSwQUdfJkmn

wozmugv3zvq0.png

Well this went already for $55. I knew it wouldn't last long. Hope somebody here got it???
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    No affiliation, seen on Facebook Marketplace... what are they?!? Monitor 11’s with SL2000's?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/779425502828087/
    o15xishsrba2.jpeg
    7549o0bupizx.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I just flinched seeing that jug on the speakers! WTF!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    At least it's empty
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus