So, you think speaker cables don't matter, think again.

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    ^ A warmer sound, no doubt ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Perhaps a little too grainy?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    Maybe when there is artificial intelligence....

Artificial intelligence is everywhere these days. It is found in newsrooms and college campuses all across this country right now, and is easy to spot if you look for it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    6wbqne9421yw.jpg
    These are clearly superior. Seeing as they offer more headroom....
    A set of four is required.

Yeah -- I was gonna say that @lightman1 is showing only the single-ended option.

B)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    There is this other audio web site where the owner does a lot of videos. He saying cables don't matter and all we need is Monoprice 12awg. He then hel up a pair of Kimber @ $800 each and said that is what he uses on his own rig...
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    6wbqne9421yw.jpg

You left a set of those here last time you came by. They changed my life! 💡
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    I'm convinced there's a fair number of people in audio who, unbeknownst to them, actually have tin ears. Only conclusion to make if they can't hear the differences between lamp cord and higher end cables of the same gauge.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    6wbqne9421yw.jpg

You left a set of those here last time you came by. They changed my life! 💡

I am reminded of a line from one of my favorite* Bruce Stringbean songs:
    Windows are for cheaters
    Chimneys for the poor
    Closets are for hangers
    Winners use the door
    So use it Rosie, that's what it's there for

Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    6wbqne9421yw.jpg

Yeah -- I was gonna say that @lightman1 is showing only the single-ended option.

B)

Ahhhh...the greatest conundrum of our day...the single-ended speaker cable.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    edited July 2020
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I thought everybody was running lamp chord.

Should I turn the lamp on,or off for best sound? I know what you’re all going to say,whatever sounds better to my ears.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    Are CF or LED lamp chords better than incandescent? Asking for a friend.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    This thread has deteriorated to the level of silly - how do I unsubscribe PLEASE😢
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    This thread has deteriorated to the level of silly - how do I unsubscribe PLEASE😢

I love it. good to be silly and laugh
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The biggest problems with very subjective hifi discussions is that most of them are too darned serious. If one uses one's ears and one's common sense, I think one will find wires that suit one, irrespective of others' opinions on the subject. I find light-hearted discussions of hifi topics to be a breath of fresh air... as long as the attempts at humor aren't mean-spirited. I have no doubt that different wires on different components can make for different-sounding results; I've heard it myself. It's not one of my primary areas of focus/concern in hifi but wires count a lot more for other folks -- and who am I to judge the rightness or wrongness of that (my own opinions* notwithstanding).

I continue to learn things in this particular hobby by simply doing my best to keep an open mind (not my strong suit :/ ) and to listen to stuff -- as much stuff as possible.

• joecoulson
    Options
    If anyone is actually wondering if speaker cables make a difference, you owe it yourself to go here and purchase.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189059/fs-acoustic-zen-satori-with-jumpers#latest

:#
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Can I use my Discover card points ? 🙂
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2020
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    gp4jesus wrote: »

I love it. good to be silly and laugh
    I was being nice. I want out

Cables have their place - between amps (etc) and speakers. I’m old school so I can’t have sound w/out them but... well...

I want out
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Then stop looking at the thread.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Entertaining, Thanks for posting.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited July 2020
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am reminded of a line from one of my favorite* Bruce Stringbean songs:
    Windows are for cheaters
    Chimneys for the poor
    Closets are for hangers
    Winners use the door
    So use it Rosie, that's what it's there for

That song brings back memories of some pretty cool car karaokes (before it actually
    got coined as such).
    Rosalita, and Aqualung too - try them if you don't believe me... no cables necessary B)

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Options
    So is there any review that objectively measured an improved difference of the expensive cables? Audio Science Review recently did an in depth measurement of the AudioQuest Victoria Audio interconnect with DBS and found it did absolutely nothing to improve the sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audioquest-victoria-audio-cable-with-dbs-review.14683/
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Depends on the cable
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    *Sound* is what is perceived by the ear, in this case the human ear. I don't have to read the review to know that they used the wrong instrumentation.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • joecoulson
    Options
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    So is there any review that objectively measured an improved difference of the expensive cables? Audio Science Review recently did an in depth measurement of the AudioQuest Victoria Audio interconnect with DBS and found it did absolutely nothing to improve the sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audioquest-victoria-audio-cable-with-dbs-review.14683/

That is not how I purchase speakers, components or anything audio. I usually listen.
    Do you purchase audio items based on measurements or how it sounds?
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »

That is not how I purchase speakers, components or anything audio. I usually listen.

It depends, I would love to listen and do A B comparisons of everything I purchase but realistically I can't do that. I do blind buy a lot of stuff based on community recommendations and cost/savings. If it doesn't agree with me I usually sell it and get something else. Many companies seem to market and make ridiculous claims of their products knowing full well that the average user can't test these claims. I believe sites like ASR using thousands of dollars worth of testing equipment to run controlled objective tests are doing the audio community a huge service by keeping these companies in check. At the end of the day I want to know there is at least some quantifyable difference that a cable in upwards of a few hundred dollars is going to sound better, aesthetics aside, than a Blue Jeans cable for $30. And yes if ASR proves a product is poor, measures worse or the same than a cheaper alternative I will not buy it.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options

It depends, I would love to listen and do A B comparisons of everything I purchase but realistically I can't do that. I do blind buy a lot of stuff based on community recommendations and cost/savings. If it doesn't agree with me I usually sell it and get something else. Many companies seem to market and make ridiculous claims of their products knowing full well that the average user can't test these claims. I believe sites like ASR using thousands of dollars worth of testing equipment to run controlled objective tests are doing the audio community a huge service by keeping these companies in check. At the end of the day I want to know there is at least some quantifyable difference that a cable in upwards of a few hundred dollars is going to sound better, aesthetics aside, than a Blue Jeans cable for $30. And yes if ASR proves a product is poor, measures worse or the same than a cheaper alternative I will not buy it.

You can buy some really bad sounding gear that measures great, and you can buy gear that measures bad and sounds great. Measurements don't always correlate to good sound.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Don't forget, your ears or equipment may not allow you to hear the difference between $30 and $300 cables not to mention I don't think the cables being reviewed would even qualify as a step up from the Blue Jeans
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joecoulson
    Options

I would agree but unfortunately the measurements are taken by a biased reviewer. If that site wanted to actually help the audio community, it would not sulk in the corner like a spoiled kid. Instead, listening tests on audio equipment are largely not taken into account. And manufacturers are not given a chance to rebuke claims on his site, he only champions cheerleaders.
    Furthermore have you heard some of the gear that is “highly recommended “?
    Like @invalid said, a lot of that measures very well and sounds like dirt.
    Some say it’s a service, I say it’s an agenda.