speaker stands

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
edited July 2020 in Speakers
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I have the Pangea stands. They are very stout. The Mono Price stands look very similar at almost half the price. Had the Monos been available when I was in need of stands,they would have been my choice.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • marvda1
    the monoprice say they have mdf bases but in the q&a they say it's all metal.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have the Monoprice stands for my Wharfedale Dentons.

First, they are priced each, not per pair. But they do still end up being considerably less in price.

Second, they are all steel construction. The legs are mild steel square tube, the bases are cast iron, and the tops are plate steel.

The legs are fillable (I have 25lbs of lead shot in each set of legs and topped them off with coal slag sandblasting media). Mine weigh in about 90lbs each and are almost completely inert.

They come with spikes and they are the standard narrow pointy ones. I replaced mine with rubber feet to keep from damaging the hard floors because they will perforate laminate or vinyl easily.

I put a set of sorbothane hemispheres on the tops.

For the money I have invested, I would be very hard pressed to beat the quality and performance for triple or even quadruple the price.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    After reading your post ZLTFUL, I would say the mono,and pangea are pretty close in looks and function. I don’t have the Pangeas loaded,yet......
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • marvda1
    I noticed on the monoprice you have to use silicon to seal them before you fill them.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I have a set of the Pangea DS300, which I think are an earlier version of the DS400. I'm not sure of the design differences. I thought the DS300 stands are a bit expensive for their build quality. Had the Monos been available at that time I'm pretty sure I'd just have tried those.

Re: the use of sealant on the Monoprice ones - sealant of some sort is required on the Pangea ones, too. I used pieces of Dynamat at the bottom to seal them before mass loading with sand. I haven't had any leaks.

Here's a thread where I detailed the build. You can see how I sealed them.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170506/pangea-speaker-stands-build-ds300-28-inch
    I disabled signatures.
  • Alton T
    Alton T Posts: 73
    Hello Forum,
    I was looking at them at Crutchfield.
    Free shipping. :)

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/ds_400.html
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    When you want real stands.....http://www.skylanstands.com/
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I have the Pangea Audio DS100 All-Steel Speaker Stands (got them when they were on sale from AA for ~ 1/2 price). I would not recommend the DS100 with the single pole as it is not very stable, even when filled with non-clumping clay cat litter. A set of the Pangea stands with 3 or 4 legs would even out the weight distribution and would be much more stable. They only came with spikes so I put some felt on the bottom to keep them from scratching up the floors. I have not had the Monoprice stands but they look like a good deal. The Skylan stands are probably amazing but are too $$$ for me.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • marvda1
    F1nut wrote: »

some might argue with you.
    http://soundanchors.com/products/hi-fi-home-theater
    Puritan PSM156
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I have Skylan stands, they're awesome. He'll make them to fit your speakers and ear height exactly.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    marvda1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

some might argue with you.
    http://soundanchors.com/products/hi-fi-home-theater

They are buttfreakingugly and come already filled with God knows what. No thanks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk