Elac Adante AF-61 (took some diy to make perfect)

124»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited February 2019
    Would like to get my ears on the bookshelf version at some point.

1412d090ccdfca58110df0aee9e94be7.jpg

IMG_9458-1024x683.jpg

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Me too. They are beasts. 19x10x16 and 35lbs!
    Would like tot hear them with their matched sub
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The bookies and center seem like a nice setup for a Movie / Music system.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • joecoulson
    Yeah. I want the center. But I’m not paying retail for it. $2400 with the stand!
    I can wait.
  • joecoulson
    So at the gathering with @treitz3 and @jdjohn , besides finding out about the resistance anomaly between the two sets of binding posts on each tower (see thread https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184184/non-jesse-approved-bi-amping ) Tom realized another issue. He was in the listening position when all of a sudden he jumped up and started stacking pillows where he was sitting. Since he had already been throwing pillows around the room trying to redecorate, I left him to it - but no something else was afoot. The Elac towers are quite tall - 52"+. The midrange and tweeter are concentric, so that whole upper register of sound is coming at you from close to 4' off the ground. The Elac driver does a good job of throwing the sound out, but Tom's keen ears heard it improve when he sat on the mountain of pillows he had created.
    So I did have the spike plates that came with the speakers (for using the outrigger feet on hardwood) and I added them to the back feet only. This tilted the tower forward a few degrees. Just enough to get that tweeter pointing right above the ear, but perfected the imaging. The front feet are still spiked so they are at least half coupled to the floor though the carpet.
    Food for thought.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Next time we'll have to get Tom a booster seat ;) Ya know, it's funny you mention this since, when we were leaving, I thought I noticed the Elacs being tilted more forward than I recalled. I wasn't just imagining it! I was probably cleaning some records on the Okki Nokki when you guys made the change.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    ... hope the neighbood's seismically quiescent.

B)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Ah yes, the forward tilt. Good stuff.

Tom has a sharp ear but he's also crazy 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... hope the neighbood's seismically quiescent.

B)

Me too since they weigh over 100lbs each
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the forward tilt. Good stuff.

Tom has a sharp ear but he's also crazy 😜

Please god say there wasnt tequila there.... if so..... keep any further commentary, or photos to yourself :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    Vulcans had (have) sharp ears, as I recall.
  • joecoulson
    Now that we have M700 power going to them with the AS Satori cables, these things have truly transformed
    Cannot wait for the next meet as I believe @jdjohn and @treitz3 will be pleasantly surprised by the improvements
  • joecoulson
    Ok - testing the Polk forum's waters here - any interest in buying these? would be willing to meet at a certain distance but first wanted to make sure the buyer knew the history of them. I consider it to be an improvement as you will find from this thread. Others might not see it that way and would hate for someone not to know.

I am looking to get $2k OBO out of them and have everything they came with EXCEPT the boxes. And FYI only reason I am selling is I actually got their younger siblings because the tweeter was too high AFF for my low couch.

They are flawless.
  • joecoulson
    Ok. Guess I’m keeping them lol.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Wouldn’t hurt to throw those bad boys on the flea market here and see what happens. More folks would probably see them there.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Amen to that. They look amazing.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    these are sold locally.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Awesome! I bet the wifey was happy.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Great "sale" Joe.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Awesome! I bet the wifey was happy.

Yeah. And actually said “it sounds better”!
    Thank You fellers.