Elac Adante AF-61 (took some diy to make perfect)

124»

Comments

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,649
    DSkip wrote: »
    Once you get to the high end and ultra high end, it becomes easier to run into the individual with their nose so high all you can see is the bottom of their chin.
    Man did I find this out years ago. There were several shops in the metro Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lasing area at that time. Some would not give you the time of day and some would let you bring your own CD's and listen all day.

One sales guy even, After listening to my CD's for about an hour on the $25K-$30K+ systems at the time, made me go listen to the LARGE MartinLogans driven my the large tube monoblocks playing vinyl. Then, he dragged my over to the dimly lit space that was setup like a posh family room. Its had a full blown MacIntosh theater playing Jurassic park. He sat me down then walked out and locked the doors. LOL!

Needless to say, the difference between shops was night and day!

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,562
    I have quite some time on these now and the bass has just kept on reaching deeper and deeper. The mids/highs have settled down some (maybe me just getting used to them?) and I can truly see why these are the top for AJ’s current offering.
    So in love with these towers. Can’t wait to get some of these peeps coming Saturday to hear them too.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,199
    edited February 26
    Would like to get my ears on the bookshelf version at some point.

1412d090ccdfca58110df0aee9e94be7.jpg

IMG_9458-1024x683.jpg

"Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Me too. They are beasts. 19x10x16 and 35lbs!
    Would like tot hear them with their matched sub
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,649
    The bookies and center seem like a nice setup for a Movie / Music system.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    Yeah. I want the center. But I’m not paying retail for it. $2400 with the stand!
    I can wait.
    So at the gathering with @treitz3 and @jdjohn , besides finding out about the resistance anomaly between the two sets of binding posts on each tower (see thread https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184184/non-jesse-approved-bi-amping ) Tom realized another issue. He was in the listening position when all of a sudden he jumped up and started stacking pillows where he was sitting. Since he had already been throwing pillows around the room trying to redecorate, I left him to it - but no something else was afoot. The Elac towers are quite tall - 52"+. The midrange and tweeter are concentric, so that whole upper register of sound is coming at you from close to 4' off the ground. The Elac driver does a good job of throwing the sound out, but Tom's keen ears heard it improve when he sat on the mountain of pillows he had created.
    So I did have the spike plates that came with the speakers (for using the outrigger feet on hardwood) and I added them to the back feet only. This tilted the tower forward a few degrees. Just enough to get that tweeter pointing right above the ear, but perfected the imaging. The front feet are still spiked so they are at least half coupled to the floor though the carpet.
    Food for thought.
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,003
    Next time we'll have to get Tom a booster seat ;) Ya know, it's funny you mention this since, when we were leaving, I thought I noticed the Elacs being tilted more forward than I recalled. I wasn't just imagining it! I was probably cleaning some records on the Okki Nokki when you guys made the change.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,309
    ... hope the neighbood's seismically quiescent.

B)
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,454
    Ah yes, the forward tilt. Good stuff.

Tom has a sharp ear but he's also crazy 😜
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... hope the neighbood's seismically quiescent.

B)

Me too since they weigh over 100lbs each
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,886
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the forward tilt. Good stuff.

Tom has a sharp ear but he's also crazy 😜

Please god say there wasnt tequila there.... if so..... keep any further commentary, or photos to yourself :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,309
    Vulcans had (have) sharp ears, as I recall.
    Now that we have M700 power going to them with the AS Satori cables, these things have truly transformed
    Cannot wait for the next meet as I believe @jdjohn and @treitz3 will be pleasantly surprised by the improvements