Non-Jesse approved Bi-amping

So yes, as I mentioned in another thread, I just picked up my second pair of Linn monoblocks. Beautiful little power houses these are and I had asked my dealer to try and get two more for me. He came through. These are built like tanks
03iyyazjai0a.jpeg
4058r26najcu.jpeg

So I have been reading a ton on this and have come to the conclusion (because of the deal I got on these and I already had a pair to begin with) that Bi-amping is something I am subscribing to. Please understand that I recognize that folks who get their receiver and use the built in feature for bi-amping are really not getting anything at all mainly because it’s being fed from the same power supply. I also recognize that if someone uses bi-amping to double output, that’s not the way to do it either. For me it was all about a reduction in intermodulation distortion. And having separate power supply’s for the two sections of my lsim705’s has done (as I listen) exactly as I had hoped.
9yrouuk9xp7j.jpeg
5pdglfckvbj6.jpeg

Listening to Hotel California in 24/192 wav the snare has such an impact and decay that was not missing before but no where as pronounced as it is now. As I dive back into Dskips list, the Little Drummer boy shows much more definition in the highest notes and decays beautifully.
wa7agx6vhoq1.jpeg
I am still going through my tracks as I normally do after a change and assessing the differences. Will post more as I learn more.
In the mean time...flame on!...
2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with upgrades, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ XLR's and IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,235
    I'm glad that you are liking the audible changes.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the crossover via the Marantz acting as the preamp?
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 1,501
    No. For now it’s flat signal to all 4 lines and passive crossover in the polks.
    But the Marantz is the preamp. Just can’t seem to want to let go of 5.1.
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with upgrades, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ XLR's and IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    Ah! I understand now. Thanks!
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,397
    edited November 2018
    Congrats....stick a tubed Pre between those amps and the Marantz.
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    I’m sorry. But these things are made beautifully
    5hrjlhuzaqpz.jpeg

tonyb wrote: »
    Congrats....stick a tubed Pre between those amps and the Marantz and you won't find your left nut for 3 weeks.

I have thought about that. I had my eye on a primaluna at my dealer he has as a demo.

Still considering dropping the Marantz (going 2.1 vs 5.1) and if I do it will be the Parasound p6 in its place.

Go tubed Joe, you won't regret it..
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • verbverb Posts: 4,487
    Congrats....stick a tubed Pre between those amps and the Marantz and you won't find your left nut for 3 weeks.

I’m still searching for mine after I got the VTL pre! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Rega RP1 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs DAC, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1 transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Project BoxE Bluetooth Streamer, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    edited November 2018
    verb wrote: »

I’m still searching for mine after I got the VTL pre! :smile:

Lol, look in the floor vents man.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    Lol. Thank You señor

• sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,826
    OK, Linn.
    If you're running Linn amps and want to biamp, go all Linn and use AKtiv cards.
    Just me being obvious. Each to their own.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,871
    edited November 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

:o 13K in 2004... :o

Maybe I can find one in a pawn shop or yard sale now for pennies on the dollar.

Nice tube pre-amp for sure! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    edited November 2018
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    OK, Linn.
    If you're running Linn amps and want to biamp, go all Linn and use AKtiv cards.
    Just me being obvious. Each to their own.

Sure getting there. Takes time and coin. Happy with what I have for now, but going that direction.
    Flame on...

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,041
    Tony M wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

:o 13K in 2004... :o

Maybe I can find one in a pawn shop or yard sale now for pennies on the dollar.

Nice tube pre-amp for sure! B)

prolly.
  • soundfreak1soundfreak1 Posts: 2,826
    What "external " xover are you using?" One " of the first threads on biamping where the OP actually got that "TIM" is the major improvment in biamping. Done correctly, it is amazing what it does for the detail and impact in each note! My three best friend have been biamped for years ( one over 30 years) . They harassed me till I set it up and then they sat back and laughed as my jaw hit the floor. It been several years for me now and I will never go back to single amp.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
    Deqx express is on my short list of possible next purchases. It takes care of pre and crossover in one unit. For now, securing these fantastic monoblock amps was my main focus. They are so underrated.

So I have had some time with the new setup and just had some lunch without the family home so I got to crank up to reference levels. Played one of my fav test tracks (Draw your swords - Angus Stone).
    Major improvement with regard to definition on the transients. At the 5:00 mark and on the song takes on a new energy and Angus gets loud on the chorus. The cymbal crashes between his voice decay beautifully while the piano and guitar maintain their line.
    Again, was not expecting more power from this, but got exactly what I wanted which was just fluidity with transients and intermodulation distortion. Very very happy.
    Basically (yes I know they are older) got $5k of amps for $1600
    Thanks for reading.

So, just so everyone knows, Jesse finally came round and approved this setup. We are good now.