Consensus on Full Sized Pickup Trucks

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited June 2020
    Toyota Tundra
    Ford needed to step their game up with their interiors on $70K trucks, and they have for 2021.

That onboard power generator thing is intriguing. Apparently has the capability of two 20-amp circuits with the engine running. Not sure how they can do all that. Must be some kind of magic involved. Could run a good home theater system with that though!

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/06/5-fun-facts-about-the-2021-f-150s-onboard-generator.html
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Chevy/GMC
    Jstas wrote: »
    but really loose tolerances for something that is spinning 9,000-15,000 RPM

Multiply by a factor of 10. Not to go off on a tangent, but that was one area I was referring to in regards to using good synthetic oil in general.

Those turbos spin around 150,000 RPM, some slightly less, some higher. High quality oil is a must.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    gmcman wrote: »
    but really loose tolerances for something that is spinning 9,000-15,000 RPM

Multiply by a factor of 10. Not to go off on a tangent, but that was one area I was referring to in regards to using good synthetic oil in general.

Those turbos spin around 150,000 RPM, some slightly less, some higher. High quality oil is a must.

Not the ones from 1980's Saabs, dude.

More modern, stuff, yeah but that's because, like I said, higher tolerances as well as smaller sizes.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Toyota Tundra
    Small displacement turbo charged motors show no evidence of being as reliable as large or small displacement normally aspirated engines...are they better then they used to be ?

Perhaps

https://www.designnews.com/electronics-test/are-small-displacement-turbo-engines-reliable-long-term
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Ford F150
    I can say there are plenty of people on the F150 forums complaining about the recent 5.0 motor between noises and oil consumption issues.

I had a 2010 ram hemi and now own a 2019 F150 with the smaller 2.7 EcoBoost. For everyday driving the small EcoBoost is hands down quicker, more fun to drive, and about 7mpg better for back road work travel. Time will tell on longevity but there are multiple people already over 200,000 miles on theirs with just regular maintenance.

Mind you I don’t tow a ton except for a couple ATVs from time to time. If I did tow a bunch I’d be shopping for a 3/4 ton myself.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Toyota Tundra
    Toyota has this deserved reputation for being well engineered and really reliable.....

It's all based on easily tracked data and information.

Toyotas have higher resale value because for every Toyota out there, there's 10 Fords and 10 Chevies. Toyota's error rate is actually higher than Ford or Chevy, statistics show it and statistics also show that the customers of Toyota are more willing to overlook small issues like shoddy window buttons or poorly wearing seat upholstery because of the idea that the Toyota is better, no matter what.

The proven reliability and value breeds a seller's market which keeps resale high.

Fixed some of this for you....

I won’t disagree that the tundra is inarguably a dated, but bulletproof platform. Same with the 4runner.

Perhaps some are willing to overlook the bells and whistles and small oversights on interior and such because it is still one of the most economical “investments” available. In an inherently diminishing valued asset, long term return on investment is important. To suggest that a $70k truck that doesn’t have nearly as big as resale value as a “better” truck is a losing argument.....unless said truck meets your specific needs.

And also, it must be mentioned when you speak of misinformation that the tundra is one of the more “American made” trucks on the market......
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Jstas
    I would appreciate it if you weren't so arrogant as to twist my words to fit your agenda.

• shawn474
    edited June 2020
    Toyota Tundra
    I would appreciate it if you weren't so arrogant as to twist my words to fit your agenda.

Noted John.....I then would appreciate you sparing the forum of your monologue spreading misinformation to further your agenda and getting your feelers hurt when someone counters. I didn’t realize that statement of fact was “furthering an agenda” except to say that Toyota makes a vehicle that IS high is resale value and IS high in reliability and IS more made in America than most realize.....is there an argument to be made there that you’d like to expound upon?
    Shawn
  • Mikey081057

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jstas
    shawn474 wrote: »

Noted John.....I then would appreciate you sparing the forum of your monologue spreading misinformation to further your agenda and getting your feelers hurt when someone counters. I didn’t realize that statement of fact was “furthering an agenda” except to say that Toyota makes a vehicle that IS high is resale value and IS high in reliability and IS more made in America than most realize.....is there an argument to be made there that you’d like to expound upon?

Screw you.

I'm entitled to speak my mind just as you are entitled to not read it

• shawn474
    Toyota Tundra
    Screw you.

I'm entitled to speak my mind just as you are entitled to not read it

So I will take that as a “no” answer to my question?
    Shawn
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Chevy/GMC
    https://youtu.be/EibaKULr16o

Still relevant...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Mikey081057

• Mikey081057

• Mikey081057
    Toyota Tundra
    More speculation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ImsFpRkE0

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Chevy/GMC
    Do it
    Randy/Maine
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Chevy/GMC
    I'm biased of course!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Ford F150
    F150; I'm basing this mostly on my last weeks purchase of a new 2020 Ford Ranger. Chevy's flimsy body panels kept me away from them and I also wanted a domestic made vehicle so Toyota was out. I originally was going with a F150 but the Ranger was a better fit for my situation. 7,500lb towing, 1850lb load capacity and 20-24 mpg with a 2.3L twin turbo that has 270hp and 310 ft lb's torque. Good luck with your purchase. It had been a while for me and I had forgotten just how stressful new vehicle shopping can be.
  • Emlyn
    Toyota Tundra
    New 2022 Toyota Tundra available soon... pre-production models on display now.

New powerplant is a V6 twin turbo with an additional hybrid option for way more output than the 5.7L engine. Still looks like a Tundra. Better get used to it since it'll probably be around and looking the same for the next 12-15 years.

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJjOMccGoQ
  • Jstas
    Nice to see Toyota's still taking 10 years to rip of Ford.

Wonder if they'll get the pants sued off them again?

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    edited September 2021
    tvbqneihuihe.jpeg
    Toyota Tundra. Only Full sized truck where 100 % percent of them are made in USA. Namely Texas. Big three all have plants in Mexico and Canada. Best resale value because of reliability. The two go hand in hand. I do think they should still keep a V-8 option available for those who want it? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Toyota Tundra
    oooh, that new Tundra's front end is ugly.

Still. I want one.
    Hybrid.

B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2021
    Toyota Tundra
    EDIT: Oh, this is a poll thing. Nevermind. :p
    I still like that Stude pickup, though. Wonder if there's a hybrid version? Lots and lots of lead-acid batteries...

[original post drivel follows]
    As an aside: what's up with the little tags at the top of these posts?

6sdtyltzn74j.png

Is Vanilla auto-generating ads now?
    This is testable.

Ford Ranger

Chevy Suburban

Studebaker Transtar

B)

8wspijz1329w.png

[/original post drivel]
  • Jstas
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

6sdtyltzn74j.png

It's telling everyone what you voted for in the poll.

• mhardy6647
    Toyota Tundra
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

6sdtyltzn74j.png

It's telling everyone what you voted for in the poll.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. :#

meanwhile -- Dat new Tundra. She ugly.

97ay18xjrees.png

• Emlyn
    Toyota Tundra
    It's got that Transformers look to it.

BIG CHANGE is they ditched leaf springs in the rear for an entirely new multi-link coil sprung suspension:

https://pressroom.toyota.com/absolute-powerhouse-next-generation-2022-toyota-tundra/

This thing's got me interested. Even Toyota has problems in the first year or two of production, sometimes with big problems when they're putting new things in. Maybe I'll look at a 2023 or 2024 model.

If they do make a new Sequoia and this new chassis underpins it that could be a good alternative to a no longer sold Land Cruiser in the US for a lot less money.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Ford F150
    Here is the problem I have with those large touch screens. My mothers Lincoln MKz has a smaller one, at night that thing just blinds the fook out of you. Chasing down the night mode is a hazard trying to navigate through lines of buttons/prompts to get to SHUT THE FOOK OFF area. While hers is a 2009 I hope they have made GIANT leaps to one button display off/night mode so it is more akin to changing the radio channel like the olden days of car radio.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2021
    Ford F150
    Toyota seems to be always lagging in bells and whistles but the resale value is always higher... coincidence? or just better engineered.I had a couple of "Toyoda" trucks and FourRunners as well as a few Lexus vehicles (GX470 and GS 350 AWD) and was always pleasantly surprised at the resale value, reliability and overall quality of the vehicles...So the Tundra gets beat up for lacking "technology" and being due for a "design update" which really has nothing to do with reliability and overall quality. What "tech" features is it lacking for y'all as I really don't see something that I need that is missing?

I do like the Ford with the V8 too but comparatively costs more.

I am listening for info to come out on the '21 models to see what's new and maybe to get a deal on a leftover.

This guy sent me a picture of his new Toyota 20 or 21not sure, sweet looking ride either way...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's one ugly Taco.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk